Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dealer advised rear pads worn at 10k, front is original and ok?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
Re: Dealer advised rear pads worn at 10k, front is original and ok?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 07:22:21 PM »
Related to what Wessie said but much more extreme, when I bought my S1000R back in 2016, my rear brake calliper from factory had a fault where the pads were pressing on the disc just enough that it wasn’t noticeable when riding, I mean I had a suspicion that the bike seemed not as powerful as I would expect a 1000 to be but as it was limited for the first 600 miles until the running in service I thought it could be normal as I didn’t fee as if the bike was constantly breaking.
Went for the first service and the dealer said there was a fault with the calliper, so the entire rear break system (pads, disk, cylinder...) was replaced under warranty as in 600 miles the bike went though the whole pads and damaged the disk... dealer tested the bike and said it was completely unnoticeable, as the bike was not breaking on its own, no noise, no vibration, nothing.
So check if the pads are going back easily
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Dicey

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Mintlaw
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 08:07:56 PM »
I had to change brake pads around 13k  and was surprised how worn rear pads were, a bit more than front I would say, and I hardly use the rear brake ,just supposed with them being linked that was the reason for them being worn at same time as front but like I said was surprised at how worn they were.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 02:57:47 PM »
If you are not using the back brake either deliberately or accidentally then if the pads are worn at 10k then there is definitely a fault that should be covered by the warranty. As the brakes are linked i rarely use the back brake pedal.  :305:
PSH

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 07:21:24 AM »
I do use the back brake a bit and I had fronts and backs at about 12K

I think the rear wears quicker due to the linked brakes, so if you use it a bit yourself and it gets used when you pull front brake.

If you are riding mountain passes it can be quite easy to overheat the rear brake and this causes them to wear very quickly, I have done this in the past when I was less experienced.

Offline tunkerdunts

• XR Member
  • Bike: s 1000 xr '18
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
Well... I had to take the caliper off myself. The pins were pretty dry and the pads were worn unevenly.

Offline tunkerdunts

• XR Member
  • Bike: s 1000 xr '18
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 03:00:55 PM »
Should this be covered under warranty?

Offline OzbimmerXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: Cape Paterson
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »
Rear pads replaced at 46,000 klms, front still OK will probably need changing next service, I pillion occassionally also.

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2020, 10:54:19 PM »
I had a 2013 GS that was ok for me, but many others complained of worn rear pads.  And I had a 2017 Triumph Bonneville that wore out the front tire way before the rear tire, as did many others.  Weird things sometimes happen.  But not on my XR.  Your brake pad wear is not typical.