Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Radiator and Oil Cooler Guards  (Read 340 times)

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: SCUNTHORPE
Radiator and Oil Cooler Guards
« on: January 05, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
It still amazes us at the number of people who actually believe that the radiator and the oil cooler on the XR, need no protection! We just don't understand that! You only need look at the placement, and size of that Radiator to see that it couldn't be any more exposed and open to damage from road debris. The oil cooler even more so!

The general consensus seems to be that BMW themselves state that no radiator and oil cooler protection is needed, and the use of any will hinder cooling. Of course they will say that! They want you as the owner, not to bother with any protective devices, so that when you almost inevitably (unless you're a very lucky person) suffer a burst radiator or oil cooler, you will have no choice but to go to them and have to pay many hundreds of pounds for a new one!

The radiator and oil coolers are only made from thin gauge Aluminium and are incredibly easy to damage, not to mention the loss of cooling ability they will suffer from over time when the cooling fins gradually become more and more clogged from road debris, completely stopping airflow through it in those areas. We have been manufacturing radiator and oil cooler guards for numerous marques and model bikes for ten years now, and it is our experience that no bike has ever suffered from any over heating or cooling problems as a result of having our guards installed!

Both the radiator and the oil cooler are extremely vulnerable to damage and neither have any factory protection at all, which we find astounding, given the cost of the bike, and especially given the cost of a new radiator or oil cooler! We believe it is absolutely essential to have a radiator and oil cooler guard installed on your XR to give yourself that peace of mind that you have done everything you can to protect what is arguably the most vulnerable part of the entire bike!

We aren't suggesting that our radiator and oil cooler guard set will give you 100% protection from any damage. But we are saying that with our guard set installed, you stand a substantially less chance of sustaining damage serious enough to warrant replacing either radiator, thus saving you potentially hundreds of pounds!

There are a few radiator and oil cooler guard sets on the market for the XR, but there is only one that matters! :001:

You will find it in the link below, and you will notice that we factored a kind of "spine" into this design, that runs up the center of radiator guard to deflect the overwhelming majority of road debris. See below image of how they quickly get battered by road rash and begin to look with no guards installed! Middle image is of course our XR radiator and oil cooler guard set, and last image is installed on a customers bike...

However, I am currently working on a new design, to keep in line with our newer "honeycomb" guard design which has been implemented on a few of our other guards recently, which seem to be very popular. It is not finalised yet, and the images are screen shots of the parts in my CAD program, but take a look and see what you think, I would love to know your opinions??

And remember, as with all of our products, being a member of this forum, you get our special discount code which will give you a 10% discount off of the RRP of all of our S1000XR products!

Discount code: S1000XR10

https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/s1000xr-31-c.asp

https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/s1000xr-radiator--oil-cooler-cover-in-stainless-steel-in-black-powder-coating-195-p.asp

Please let me know what you think, I am very happy to answer any questions :028:

Thank you for reading,
Very kind regards,
Mike - Senior Administrator, Cymarc Bike Parts
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 01:33:36 PM by cymarcbikeparts »

Offline jay4967

• XR Junior
  • Town: Orkney
Re: Radiator and Oil Cooler Guards
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 05:19:40 PM »
Hello Mike, I just spoke to Mark as I placed an order last week for the older design and having just seen this I am very interested purchasing the newer design instead as it seems to give more cover on the Rad and the little XR on the oil cooler guard is a nice touch. I've replied to the confirmed order email (order number below) back to you so you should see it tomorrow morning, cheers Jason
Order Number is: 7219/311219/34
Jay

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 08:21:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by jay4967 [+]
Hello Mike, I just spoke to Mark as I placed an order last week for the older design and having just seen this I am very interested purchasing the newer design instead as it seems to give more cover on the Rad and the little XR on the oil cooler guard is a nice touch. I've replied to the confirmed order email (order number below) back to you so you should see it tomorrow morning, cheers Jason
Order Number is: 7219/311219/34
Hi Jason. Thank you for your interest in our new design guards. They're one of a few new radiator guard designs that we're in the process of updating as we're starting to phase out a lot of the older design guards. I decided to go with the honeycomb grille design as it is an incredibly strong structure and will stand a substantially less chance of deforming due to impact from road debris thus providing greater protection for the radiators.

You would be the VERY first person to have this set! Even Mark doesn't have a set yet :038:

Regards,
Mike.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:20:32 AM by cymarcbikeparts »

Offline Andy Woodrow

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 11:10:14 AM »
Hi Mike & Mark,

When do you get to design accessories for the 2020 XR model? Do you need to get your hands on one first?

Cheers,
Andy

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 12:47:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brenchleyhib [+]
Hi Mike & Mark,

When do you get to design accessories for the 2020 XR model? Do you need to get your hands on one first?

Cheers,
Andy
Hi Andy.

Ideally we would like to get our hands on a '20 model and we will be looking into that very soon.

Mike.

Offline jay4967

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »
Mike, Have put the new guards on and they're bloody good, especially it seems that there will be more air getting through as I have had the water pump fail that is a common theme and hopefully this may help as I had a previous guard for around £30-40 which had smaller holes in it. The fitting took minutes and slots into place and looks good,
Cheers
Jay
Jay

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:21:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by jay4967 [+]
Mike, Have put the new guards on and they're bloody good, especially it seems that there will be more air getting through as I have had the water pump fail that is a common theme and hopefully this may help as I had a previous guard for around £30-40 which had smaller holes in it. The fitting took minutes and slots into place and looks good,
Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay.

That's brilliant, thank you for letting me know, I'm very happy you're happy with them, I have every confidence you will have no problem with the guards, they are more than tough enough to stop anything substantial getting through them whilst providing maximum airflow!

Perhaps you could share your thoughts about the new set and the service with the other guys in the forum or any groups you may be a member of, maybe even post up some pictures to help us spread the word so we can continue to provide the kind of service we do? Perhaps even rate us on Google and Trust Pilot too if you would be so kind?

If there is anything else we can do for you please just let us know, and remember, your forum members discount code will always be active if you decide there are more of our accessories you would like!

We're currently working on a new security concept for the XR, along the same vein as what we have just completed for the R1250GS/A, which is a main stand locking modification, which prevents the bike from being taken off the main stand while locked! It is proving very popular with the GS guys, and we believe we can also do the same with the XR main stand. I will be writing a post about it here soon.

What do you, as an XR owner, think of that idea?

Cheers,
Mike.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:37:59 PM »
I dont think that you need these unless you ride on roads with a lot of loose stones or off road. I have had 3 XR's and rode 45k miles without any problems without the guards. Also difficult to clean behind the screens and then there is the rattles. Just my view.  :305:
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:38:37 PM by PaulS1000XR »
PSH

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:26:41 PM »
Personally, I would not ride these bikes without rad guards, had a friend left stranded on his new S1000R with a holed radiator at 500 miles(was an expensive fix).

Offline jay4967

• XR Junior
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:04:40 AM »
Mike, Sounds good with the lock more security for those who need it. Have put a review on trust pilot as well.

As for not needing guards each to their own but after going through a massive storm in the alps this past summer and through jock land there's plenty of small stones around, as for rattling non at all fix it right that takes 10min and sorted.......
Jay

dysfunctional