Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New XR update  (Read 3614 times)

Online Yamahavmax1700carbon

• XR Member
New XR update
« on: January 15, 2020, 06:24:04 PM »
Hi peeps having been on the phone today trying to thrash a deal out he informed me there has been a delay with the inital shipping of the bikes - he was previously told April but now is stating June/July - he said this happened last year with the RR and everyone got pissed off

im just relaying what i was told

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: New XR update
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »
Welcome to the world of shiftcam because that is where RR got delayed and has backed up everything else,I don’t supposed too many folks study WSB that much but mid season the factory bike came on strong and then faded because they can’t get the motors to last the required number of races all part of the formentioned and hence why it isn’t on the X/R.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 09:01:24 PM »
Funny that, I have not heard issues with the shift-cam motor on the RR, the stop sale and majority of the delays were for the Oil-coolers needing to be replaced, the connecting pipes kept cracking. Apparently they(new oil coolers) are being distributed now.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 09:05:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
Funny that, I have not heard issues with the shift-cam motor on the RR

Of course you haven’t and this board never talks about racing either, in this case it’s bad for business.

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 09:16:09 PM »
The shiftcam issue is fairly logical. On a 1250GS there are two shiftcam motors. They each have about 270 degree of camshaft movement to shift the cam at 8500rpm? max. On a RR or XR  each shiftcam motor shifts the cam for two cylinders, now you only have 90 degree (maybe 180 degree depending on firing order) to shift the cams, and at higher rpms. Work that out and it needs to be at least 300% faster
So to me the shiftcam does provide benefits, but BMW can't implement it reliably on the 4-cylinders in the current layout.  To me each cylinder needs its own shiftcam motor 

But then with the XR I have  160 bhp. I shred tires within 3000mls on holidays, and I know I'm not going full throttle. I don't need more power

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 02:34:27 PM »
One of the reasons I am glad that the new XR does not have the shift cam - just something that is not essential and likely to go wrong  :305:
PSH

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 07:26:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
The shiftcam issue is fairly logical. On a 1250GS there are two shiftcam motors. They each have about 270 degree of camshaft movement to shift the cam at 8500rpm? max. On a RR or XR  each shiftcam motor shifts the cam for two cylinders, now you only have 90 degree (maybe 180 degree depending on firing order) to shift the cams, and at higher rpms. Work that out and it needs to be at least 300% faster
So to me the shiftcam does provide benefits, but BMW can't implement it reliably on the 4-cylinders in the current layout.  To me each cylinder needs its own shiftcam motor

But then with the XR I have  160 bhp. I shred tires within 3000mls on holidays, and I know I'm not going full throttle. I don't need more power

Seriously not following that.    270 degrees?  That’s not slight adjustment - that’s out of phase.   

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 06:54:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Seriously not following that.    270 degrees?  That’s not slight adjustment - that’s out of phase.
You don't understand what i wrote, or I'm wrong. On a GS the cam lobe covers about 90 degree of the camshaft.  You can not shift the camshaft while it is lifting the valve, so that leaves about 270 degrees where it can shift it as it a single cylinder camshaft. On the XR you have 4 cam lobes on the camshaft, each 90 degrees apart. Thus impossible to shift the camshaft. What  BMW has done on the RR is put the two 'camshafts' on a splined shaft. Each camshaft shift motor operates two cylinders. But it has way less time than on a GS to shift the cam

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 08:19:39 AM »
I'm following you now, thanks  :028:

dysfunctional