Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What isn't on the new XR that you'd like to have seen?  (Read 2992 times)

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: gloucester
What isn't on the new XR that you'd like to have seen?
« on: January 15, 2020, 07:01:15 PM »
For me, I'd have liked what most of my peers have on their sports tourers, i.e. a heated seat. We ride all year round so why not? I love the current HP seat and hope that the new seat is as comfortable. I hope that the heated grips are better than the current model? I hope that the accessory socket will cope with an air pump without  the canbus cutting out! I like the symmetrical lights on the new model. Having seen the new 900, the tank, from the side, looks weird, too elongated, quite ugly, I'm guessing the 1000 will look the same. There are still pannier brackets visible on the 900, will they be on the 1000.....etc..

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Re: What isn't on the new XR that you'd like to have seen?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 11:34:52 PM »
I have a 2019 and the 2020's are not in the USA yet so I am not sure what the 2020 has not fixed from the 2019.

But.  I want a more pleasant clutch, like a hydraulic clutch.  I want the seat height to be lower, does the 2020 have a low suspension option?  (edit: yes, it does)

And I would like a number of small issues that might be fixed with the new TFT:  TPMS, outside air temperature that doesn't require several button push, instantaneous MPG.  And a seat that doesn't slope forward.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:14:06 PM by runnerhiker »

Offline Remo83

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR 3B
  • Town: Leuven
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »
Hi,

I would have liked to see:

- adaptive cruise control for longer trips
- emergency braking (like on the soon to be released KTM's and Ducati's)
- better oem wind shields for tall guys like me
- cooler colours
- better smartphone integration, not the usual expensive bmw add-ons
- a larger engine with even more torque in the lower end (no need for extra HP really)
- the same seating position as on the old machine, the newer one is more front wheel oriented which I don't necessarily like

All the best,

Remo

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Remo83 [+]

- a larger engine with even more torque in the lower end (no need for extra HP really)

And that is the punch line!!!! Yea sure you can get that with current bike with Akra headers,can,fuelling mod to avoid the TUV map but most have neither the money or inclination.

BM despite being the maker of the mighty GS have a history of dropping clangers I think this new model may well be one of them.. why? The end of this Ducati could well re-write the rules for this kind of bike with the new V4 Multistrada that is coming and BM will be stuck with the same old for what? 3/4 years i’d Be very wary particularly if they feel the need to respond with a new model quickly all guess work of course but money is money...hard earned easy spent.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
What would I like to see on the 2020 XR:
- more realistic price - over £7k to trade my 2019 XR SE - ridiculous
- better colour combination - get rid of that cheap looking black centre strip and have a red tank
- get rid of the small compartment on the tank
- why is it £200 more for the lithium battery ? they dont cost that much extra
- why an extra £320 for a red bike with a TE and not a standard XR - again they dont cost any more to make
- longer front mudguard to reduce risk of stone damage and dirt spray
- lower exhaust - looks too much like a GS
- deal on new top box and panniers that folk will now have to buy
- better mechanism for adjusting rear wheel / chain
- better rear hugger
- better quality drive chain

As for any more I will need to ride one  :305:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:38:28 AM by PaulS1000XR »
PSH

Offline seezur

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 06:40:42 AM »
I like the new model a lot on paperl. My current bike has the TFT and I think it's incredibly intuitive and useful, and BMW's wheel is the best way to navigate menus IMO. I know some people don't care about this, but the TFT alone is reason to buy the newer bikes, especially now that the BMW app is 95% fixed. I'm excited about the optional cornering lights, integrated luggage rack, the little storage compartment, hill hold control and the optional CF engine guards to mount lights on.

I would like:
-backlit switches
-heated seat option could be nice
-OEM usb ports instead of DIN (I think the Touratech one will fit)
-an even narrower handlebar, maybe by an inch tops (they already cut over an inch on 2020 vs prior models)
-lower height
-better mileage ;)
-an actual brake light

Offline Yamahavmax1700carbon

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 09:40:31 PM »
You lot are hard to please, the new model has already fixed many issues of the old ones

Lighter clutch
No vibes due to better bush mounts
Better gearing 4 5 6 gears
Better lights LED and adaptive
Better integrated luggage holders
Better dashboard full TFT with connectivity
Slightly lighter

Only downside it's expensive

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 10:38:39 PM »
Personally I don't like the look of the new luggage holders. When I don't use the cases on mine I remove the rails, takes whopping 5 minutes(includes a tea break).