Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What would it take for you to do advanced training?  (Read 1949 times)

Online Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
What would it take for you to do advanced training?
« on: January 16, 2020, 01:21:26 PM »
This is a question to anyone that has not done any advanced training.

Why do bikers with a few years of road riding not do more training and what would it take for you to do more training?

The reason I ask is I ride with a RoSPA group "and have a Gold pass" this very question came up on a ride out at a coffee stop.

I also teach CBT’s here in the UK and always try and get the candidates to do their full test and explain why more training is a good thing but the take up is very small.

PS: I do not have a Polite Biker hi vis vest! Coz if you have one you look like a D1CK, as a rule I don’t where a hi vis unless teaching and that’s the Schools rule “slow speed advertising”!

Answers on a post card:
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline Denzle

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Worcester
Re: What would it take for you to do advanced training?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 02:01:39 PM »
I have done a couple of police training days and really enjoyed them, plus I learned loads of valuable tips from these guys.
However I think doing a ROSPA course is not for me, unfortunately the instructors all seem to come out of the same mold. They usually smoke roll ups, wear a Sam Brown strip or a Polite Biker hiviz vest and ride a Pan or a Honda Hornet and love to tell you all about how good there machines were when they toured Eastern Europe.
Probably lovely people but would I want to live next door to them or meet them down the pub ....... nah
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:31:25 PM »
I took the IAM advanced biker course which I would recommend to anyone who is interested in improving their skills and improving safety.
After joining IAM and a local IAM group you will be assigned an observer who will take you through whatever further training that you require on 1-2-1 basis to reach the test standard. At the end of the training you take the advanced test using a qualified examiner. The cost of the training is actually free after joining IAM and the local group.
The local group that I belong to is also a motorcycle club and runs weekly rideouts throughout the year and longer trips away.
No Pans mostly GS's unfortunately, and definitely no POLITE tabards. Think I am the only XR but the guys on their GS's are pretty quick.  :305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 02:45:46 PM »
Well i’m Def in the never has any training group,but of course the question is training for ?,very early on in my biking I realised I could ride for years on the road and learn to survive,but that ain’t learning to ride a bike is it,I gave up road riding(almost) for close on 10 years to race an enduro bike that is where I learned to actually ‘ride a bike’when the front wheel is going one way and the rear another when all your basic instinct is to jump off as opposed to getting it to do what you want it to do,hence my advice would be to separate the two concepts of bike riding and at some time either buy an off-road bike or do an off-road course it’s saved both me and us on several occasions.

Alternatively a short cut route buy something like an XT660 and you can do a bit of both.

Online Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 04:03:22 PM »
I'm more intrested in why poeple have not or will not?

is it they dont know where to go or if they should do it, time, money fear of the people in yellow Hi Vis ok the last one is a joke.

After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
I'm more intrested in why poeple have not or will not?

is it they dont know where to go or if they should do it, time, money fear of the people in yellow Hi Vis ok the last one is a joke.

There is no simple answer. Some people may have a peer group who pass on skills; some may have a natural ability with bike control and feel confident; some will believe they have a natural talent and fail to recognise inherent weaknesses; some will be naturally reckless and not give a sh#t about consequences of their poor or dangerous riding plus many more reasons, no doubt.

Personally, I did a Bikesafe course in c1995 when it was spread over 3 Sundays. 2 class sessions and then an assessed ride on the 3rd Sunday. I received a thumbs up about my riding so decided not to pursue a formal qualification with the local IAM that was plugged by my "assessor". I found many of the IAM members I met to be objectionably patronising.

I like to think I remain competent and I often ride with other skilled riders. If I felt or I received comments from those I respect that my riding had deteriorated, or maybe my confidence was dented after an incident, I would seek some advanced skills training. I am likely to pay for 1:1 tuition rather than seek a certificate.

This is the sort of topic to undertake for a PhD thesis. I would be quite happy to undertake this for you if you provide me with three years funding.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:59:24 PM by wessie »

Offline T5Pilot

• XR Junior
  • Town: Wakefield
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 11:44:25 PM »
You can't beat any kind of additional training IMO.  All will contribute to assist you being a better rider, in one way or another.  IAM is a good shout, I was one of their examiners a few years ago, had to give it up due to pressure of work.  I should really look to getting back into it....

Offline Cloudy

• XR Junior
  • Town: Hampshire UK
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 02:20:53 PM »
Firstly can I say that my bike training has been Police based and I have had the benefit of being involved at various levels with both Rospa and the IAM. On saying all that I have met many many bikers more skilled than I am, but touchwood I'm fairly safe....I hope!
I think it's fair to say a lot of bikers avoid the IAM and Rospa because of a bit of a perceived historical pipe and slippers attitude. All I can say on that is that both organisations have taken on board feedback over recent years and now actively try to recruit younger bikers (the most vulnerable) and are keen to develop their safe road skills.
As stated in a post above, if people feel a bit worried about joining a group organisation, there are always 1-1 training companies ( a lot run by ex police riders) who all tend to use Roadcraft in their teaching.
Once such company is French Training Tours run by an ex colleague of mine. Won't say anymore on it other than to say look at their website and testimonials.
And one last thing.... I do ride an XR, never owned a GS or a pipe or slippers and don't wear a yellow tabard except in France, but that is personal choice and I would never criticise anyone who does! (Wear a tabard that is.....as for a GS.....well!!!

On a serious note I think any additional training on the road can only help us all.

Take care.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 06:18:33 PM »
Since the risk posed (if it is a risk) by someone not having taken training to a standard that you deem worthy  -  is a risk to themselves mostly.

(or are we to conform to the ideal in everything, including speed, listening to music etc?)

So - why the fervor?   It is almost akin to 'preaching'.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:42:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Asw63632004 [+]
Good reply Mark.
I think it's a matter of personal preference. If you think a formal training course would benefit you - great. If you prefer to listen to experienced mates who give you advice - also great.
The fact that you have been riding 42 years and aren't dead yet says that what you have done is correct for you. :152: Ride safe  :305:.
Andy

Quitting motorcycles and getting a Mazda MX5 will also enhance your chances of survival.
To ride for 42yrs and remain above ground - could be simply luck.  (or wearing his lucky underpants)  There will be numerous people who have also clocked up similar years, without any training.

But, you've summarised it correctly with: " it's a matter of personal preference".  :0461:

(Who is Mark?)

I sense a flurry of editing/deleting, so the above might not make so much sense :430:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:44:36 PM by Mareng1 »

dysfunctional