Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ANOTHER (albeit theoretical) suspension question (sorry)  (Read 2620 times)

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
ANOTHER (albeit theoretical) suspension question (sorry)
« on: January 17, 2020, 04:07:07 PM »
Take a standard height bike, and lower by putting on a used low suspension rear shock, and drop yokes down the forks to suit (35mm?) would the suspension ecu and / or ride height sensor require changing to units from a low suspension bike too?
And how do you think the handling would be with longer travel at the front and shorter at the rear?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:13:52 PM by RyanGTXR »

Offline Shawry

• XR Member
  • Town: Mkt Harborough
Re: ANOTHER (albeit theoretical) suspension question (sorry)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »
I am not sure what you are hoping to achieve (theoretically) but longer travel on the front and less on the back sounds like a recipe for a disaster?

I just can not work out any situation that would benefit from that set up.

Cheers Shawry

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 09:11:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shawry [+]
I am not sure what you are hoping to achieve (theoretically) but longer travel on the front and less on the back sounds like a recipe for a disaster?

I just can not work out any situation that would benefit from that set up.

Cheers Shawry

Just thinking of other (possibly cheaper/easier) ways to lower a std bike.
How would it be a recipe for disaster?
The Cymarc / soupy's lowering kits alter the linkage length which surely will give the same effect of less travel on the rear (shock lenght same but less at the swingarm) but still std length forks . . . . . . .
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:12:36 PM by RyanGTXR »

Offline marksmcparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bath
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 09:36:50 AM »
You'd have to ask the vendor - do their links reduce the movement available at the rear wheel, or keep the same movement but change the static position? I don't know - but if I had to bet on it I'd say they keep the same movement but give you a different static position. In this case just drop the forks and you'll be ok. The bike has plenty of ride height so dropping the forks and rear ride height shouldn't give you any problems.

I wouldn't swap to a reduced ride height shock without speaking to your BMW dealer before spending any money - they almost certainly change something in the ECU if the shorter shock is reducing the rear travel, but it may be something that can only be accessed at the factory, not necessarily by the dealer.

AFTER ANY CHANGES TO THE SUSPENSION - start off riding gently and work up to the bikes capability, feeling for any change in handling, and be prepared to revert to standard if it doesn't work properly.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »
You should also reset the ride height sensor calibration with a GS911 or similar after any suspension changes.

dysfunctional