Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Center Stand Lock Modification - OPINIONS PLEASE??  (Read 1450 times)

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: SCUNTHORPE
Re: Center Stand Lock Modification - OPINIONS PLEASE??
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 10:42:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by PhilMill [+]
I like the idea, and anything that protects our bikes is good. That said, I'm not sure I'd pay 99 quid for it, I use a disc lock and when the bike is left for any length of time I put a chain on too. A good idea but a bit pricy I feel.

Phil
Hi Phil. Thank you for your opinion, and yes, you must always use a disc lock regardless of any other security! The price I'm afraid is something I personally have no control over, however if I may just make you aware of what is involved with the modification, it may go a way to explain a little...

Once a main stand is sent to us, we then modify it by way of preparing both the stand itself and a bespoke locking lug (which we had to take the time to design, develop and test). The bespoke locking lug is then so placed to the main stand and welded in place and dressed back flush for neatness and is then test fitted. The completed stand is then sent to the powder coaters where it is then fully refurbished, which involves being completely blasted back to bare steel, prepared and re powder coated before being sent back to us where we then test fit again before packing it and sending it back to the customer.

All of this involved a lot of design, development and testing time on our part. Welding and fabrication is also very expensive, and then there is the cost of the full refurbishment by the powder coaters, and then there is the repackaging time and materials and finally the shipping. None of this is cheap, and factoring all of this together, plus a small percentage for us as the business (as we have to make money ultimately), it all works out to that price.

We always try to price all of our products and services as low as we can wherever possible, we don't actually make much on any of our products, we rely on the volume of sales just like any other small UK business.

I hope this helps explain the process a bit more for you and indeed everyone else who reads this :028:

Cheers,
Mike.
Best regards,
Mike - Senior administrator, Cymarc Bike Parts
email - mick@cymarc.co.uk
Phone +44 7715 681911 Mon-Thurs 7-4, and Fri 7-1

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 12:39:26 PM »
I like the stand adaption, I just wish I’d thought of it before just getting my stand shot blasting and powder coated.

Dam it! :230:

Nice product :028:, I’s use an alarm Disk lock one of the 120db ones.
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
I like the stand adaption, I just wish I’d thought of it before just getting my stand shot blasting and powder coated.

Dam it! :230:

Nice product :028:, I’s use an alarm Disk lock one of the 120db ones.
Thank you. And yes, you absolutely should always use a disc lock, it's a no brainer, and not really any excuse not too!

Cheers,
Mike.
Best regards,

Offline PhilMill

• XR Member
  • Bike: '17 S1000XR
  • Town: Mid Wales.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 08:01:49 PM »
Hi Mike, I totally understand, I realise its not a five minute process.

*Originally Posted by cymarcbikeparts [+]
Hi Phil. Thank you for your opinion, and yes, you must always use a disc lock regardless of any other security! The price I'm afraid is something I personally have no control over, however if I may just make you aware of what is involved with the modification, it may go a way to explain a little...

Once a main stand is sent to us, we then modify it by way of preparing both the stand itself and a bespoke locking lug (which we had to take the time to design, develop and test). The bespoke locking lug is then so placed to the main stand and welded in place and dressed back flush for neatness and is then test fitted. The completed stand is then sent to the powder coaters where it is then fully refurbished, which involves being completely blasted back to bare steel, prepared and re powder coated before being sent back to us where we then test fit again before packing it and sending it back to the customer.

All of this involved a lot of design, development and testing time on our part. Welding and fabrication is also very expensive, and then there is the cost of the full refurbishment by the powder coaters, and then there is the repackaging time and materials and finally the shipping. None of this is cheap, and factoring all of this together, plus a small percentage for us as the business (as we have to make money ultimately), it all works out to that price.

We always try to price all of our products and services as low as we can wherever possible, we don't actually make much on any of our products, we rely on the volume of sales just like any other small UK business.

I hope this helps explain the process a bit more for you and indeed everyone else who reads this :028:

Cheers,
Mike.
Too many bikes, not enough time.....

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 09:44:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by PhilMill [+]
Hi Mike, I totally understand, I realise its not a five minute process.
Thank you Phil. I am here to answer any questions, not just about this mod, but about any of our products and services, so if you or indeed anyone else have anything you're curious about re our stuff, just ask me :028:

Cheers,
Mike.
Best regards,

dysfunctional