Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust Valve squeak  (Read 560 times)

Offline Martyn B

• XR Pro
  • Sultan of Bling
  • Bike: S1000XR SE 2018
  • Town: Melksham, Wilts
Exhaust Valve squeak
« on: January 24, 2020, 06:00:06 PM »
Last year the exhaust started  making a single "squeak" after turning the engine off so I took it to the dealers and they said they'd take a look when it went in for some other work I was having done.  When I picked it up, the squeak had gone and I thought nothing more about it - then it came back a couple of months later when it also did it on turning the ignition on.  No big deal so I waited for the bike to go in for its 12k service today and I'd asked them to take look at it again.  Turns out that the valve needs replacing.  Oh well, they can do that whilst it's in for the service I thought - but apparently not, as the  "part" is on back order and I'll have to take it back when it comes through (no ETA available).

However, on further enquiry, the "part" is the whole header set up!  Considering the problems BMW had with the "flappy valve" on the hex-head R1200GS/A, what idiot designed a header set with an integral exhaust valve?  At least with the 1200 you could replace the valve easlily by splitting off  the end-can and the headers either side.  What are the headers going to cost? (it's a warranty item thank god).

Vorsprung durch Teknik? Obviously not an Audi design then. :008:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:01:53 PM by Martyn B »
What a long strange trip it's been...

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Exhaust Valve squeak
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 06:40:03 PM »
I have to say comes as no surprise i’ve Been riding and spanner bikes for 50 years in that time have never come across a worse piece of schit than the stock headers when I took mine off to put Akrapovic on normally I keep all my original spares stored away,the headers reside in the garden shed they are nothing short of a manufacturing disgrace.

Offline jakebake

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 07:20:28 PM »
unless i am wrong ?? .............this problem  has not been mentioned before on this site.

therefore i think wingers comment about being 'shite' is a bit over exaggerated . To me shite means  crap , useless, scrap  etc etc  . My opinion is for a high performance bike and high miles the bike is very reliable

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 08:24:37 PM »
I'm with Winger on this one, the design is shite! Yes it works, but if one little thing goes wrong, then you have to replace the whole unit(header-cat-flapper). And BMW's price is more than a complete Akrapovic costs.

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
Mates bike was squeaking when ignition switched on for ages with no ill effect or sign of getting worse. Doesn't do it now though . . . . . . . . decat solved it :D

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »
When I finally got the nuts off that hold the headers into the head ports plonked it on the work bench and had a good look at it while having a cuppa has all the quality of a £2.50 box of Christmas crackers.

Offline orbits

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 08:06:24 AM »
My Gixxer had a squeaky exhaust SET valve for years. And it would trigger the dash FI warning light as the valve was also sticking slightly. Multiple dealers looked at it, none could permanently fix it (squirt of oil, FI light reset, wait for it to happen again). The valve assembly was part of the headers, so the only fix dealers could offer was new headers. I never bothered. They all commented it was a well known problem and a symptom of a sh#t valve with a tough life. I suspect the XR diagnosis would probably be very similar.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:19:59 AM by orbits »

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 12:39:06 PM »
Yep mine squeaks too,. I have lubed it a couple of times.

Can it not be removed and wired open? Thats what I did on my Aprilia.

Its just for drive by noise.

Offline MelbXR

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 09:03:24 AM »
I had this crop up ages ago, took it to the dealer, they worked their magic (covered it in lube) and it has not returned (yet).

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 10:03:06 AM »
For you guys who never get to see it in the flesh so to speak was tidying up my garden shed yesterday.....

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:05:38 AM by Winger »