Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What to do for the best?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
What to do for the best?
« on: January 25, 2020, 01:46:12 AM »
At the end of May this year I'm doing a 3300 mile trip all over the UK with wife as pillion. I expect my mileage to be somewhere round the 10k mark prior to setting off and the 2 year warranty will have also expired 4 days before I set off. Do I do my own oil and filter service before I set off and then have a local garage service it on my return and stamp the service book even though it will be approx. 1500 miles after it was supposed to have been done at 12k? or do I get it serviced before the trip and the book stamped and then do my own oil change afterwards or keep an eye on things and just wait until the 18k service? I'm not going to take out an extended warranty and I am unsure how long I will keep the bike. It may be a year or two or it could be 10 depending on available funds.

Offline Martyn B

• XR Pro
  • Sultan of Bling
  • Bike: S1000XR SE 2018
  • Town: Melksham, Wilts
Re: What to do for the best?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:25:41 AM »
What I would do is first get your dealer to check the bike over BEFORE the warranty expires - yes it'll cost you for them to do it but not as much as if something goes on your trip.  Then I would "lose" a half day of my tour to get the bike serviced at the dealer nearest to where you'll be at the time. This will of course require some planning and communication with the dealer but I would imagine you'll know roughly what part of the UK you're going to be in at a given point in the trip.  500 miles either way isn't going to make much difference to the validity of the service. Doing that will save having to bugger around with your own oil change plus you get the service in line with your mileage. An added bonus is that you get the bike looked at during a long trip when sods law says that something will require some spannering. Could well be that you'll need some tyres as well  :164:
What a long strange trip it's been...

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 10:32:21 AM »
+1! to Martyn's idea.

Some dealers provide the end of warranty check for free. Presumably paid for in the long run by finding things they can claim back from BMW they would not otherwise get.

Surely you will not be riding every day of the trip and will have places you want to stay for a few days to explore locally. Most dealers will provide a courtesy bike so you can travel locally to visit points of interest.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
or do I get it serviced before the trip and the book stamped and then do my own oil change afterwards

Absolutely

The warranty thing comes with rules,the warranty on my KTM ran out December booked it November for a service and a few bits and bobs that needed doing and now i’m A free man to do what I like,as per the OP.

My preferred BM closed a while back and until another opens i’ll Look after it myself.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Master
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:07:16 PM »
I agree with the others and If you post a rough idea of your itinerary then maybe members can recommend good dealers on the route you are going. For example if you are going to Hampshire / Berkshire on your adventure then my local dealer "Bahnstormer" in Alton and Maidenhead are excellent when it comes to services / costs and friendliness.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:10:21 PM by Markymark11 »

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 07:21:33 PM »
Servicing on route isn't an option as the route is already planned as is our accommodation each night and yes we are riding for every one of the 12 days. No rest days but a couple of shorter days where the mileage is only 180 or so but still no time to get it serviced as these short days are miles from any main dealer.

Looks like I'll get it serviced with the robbing / lying bastards at Bowker Motorrad before the trip and do an interim oil change once home and then service as normal at 18k.

Offline Fumes

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000Xr TE
  • Town: County Durham
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »
I'm sure Bowker will now give you a fantastic service......especially if they read these posts !   :745:

Offline Rawdon

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr SE
  • Town: Cockermouth
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 04:16:58 PM »
I wouldn't personally worry about 1500 miles over for the service. to start with your running in service adds about 600ilea anyway, so the next one is due at 6600 and so on. but if it's out of warranty anyway it'll make no difference.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 11:39:43 AM »
My dealer said its was fine up until about 1000miles over.

But isn't your warranty going to be expired anyway, so whats the problem?

Just service it before you go and check it all over.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 08:22:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fumes [+]
I'm sure Bowker will now give you a fantastic service......especially if they read these posts !   :745:

Not only do I hope Bowker read my posts on their terrible service and dam lies I hope potential customers of theirs also read them and maybe BMW UK too. Saying that BMW UK were of little help. IF I ever buy another BMW you can bet that it won't be from Bowker.

dysfunctional