Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes with GS 9-11 ABS Actuation?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline tunkerdunts

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: s 1000 xr '18
Bleeding Brakes with GS 9-11 ABS Actuation?
on: January 27, 2020, 02:27:05 PM
Has anyone bled the brakes using the GS 9-11's ABS activation feature? I recently switched to Bosch ESI6 or 5.1 brake fluid. https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/brakes/esi6-brake-fluid

I'd like to hear about how it went, and I have three additional questions. :174:

1. I assume I just activate the module and crack the bleeder?

2. Was there enough fluid in the master cylinder reservoir to complete the activation cycle?

3. Do I need to close the bleeder before the ABS stops?

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Bleeding Brakes with GS 9-11 ABS Actuation?
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:56:31 PM
when you run through the GS-911 it tells you what to do on the screen.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 07:49:52 PM
What Simon said....GS-911 will walk you through it. The process uses a silly amount of brake fluid though, I'm guessing more than 500ml as I had to refill the reservoir a few times.....it doesn't hold much TBH.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 08:34:28 PM
I reckon that if you are just flushing the old fluid then 500ml should be ample. I replaced things and had completely empty lines, if I remember the front took about 200ml to 'fill' the lines, but I used 2 (500ml) bottles to complete the flush, etc from an empty system. I did the ABS thing 4 times, etc. Probably overkill, but wanted to make sure as it was my first time!

Offline bazzer

• XR God
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 08:52:20 AM
I thought the manual says unless that unless filling from empty you don't need to use the ABS bleed procedure? Just bleed normally to change fluid?

Or did I dream that somewhere :-)

Offline marksmcparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bath
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 09:24:23 AM
I thought the manual says unless that unless filling from empty you don't need to use the ABS bleed procedure

That's right, so long as you don't let air in then you don't need to operate the ABS pump to purge air from the system.

However - not operating the pump will leave some of the old fluid in the passages inside the ABS pump, so to get all of the old fluid out you need to run the pump & mix the fluid inside it, pump some out, and repeat a few times.

Mark

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 01:18:44 PM
It is as Mark says, but my view is if you are going to go through the whole exercise you might do the full job.

Offline tunkerdunts

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: s 1000 xr '18
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 03:04:40 PM
Ok, I completed the procedure and then some. I went through 1.4 liters of fluid and ran the pump many times, and actually ran into an "invalid response from vehicle" fault that I believe was caused by a low battery. I'll find out this morning if I bonked the ABS pump.  :008:

At least the brakes feel stunning! I performed a regular flush the day before without using the ABS pump, and I feel there was a tiny improvement in the lever.

I took screenshots of the procedure on the GS 9-11 software in case anyone was interested. The text under the green bar disappears quickly, so if you're like me you missed it the first time. I hope this can help someone avoid that in the future!

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 06:52:18 PM
*Originally Posted by tunkerdunts [+]
At least the brakes feel stunning! I performed a regular flush the day before without using the ABS pump, and I feel there was a tiny improvement in the lever.

Well, now my curiosity meter just rose to '10'.  :084:

I have the GS911, but haven't explored it too much beyond getting rid of the nanny lights.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 07:30:55 PM
Thanks for the input gents, bought a secondhand GS-911WIFI some months ago and as Covid and the weather seem too have put paid to life in general... decided to have ago today...,gotta say didn’t find the clues as to what to do that straight forward, but think more like operator error... and at one stage cheated with a pneumatic brake bleeder but got there in the end...but jeez did it hammer the battery.