Author Topic: Assessing the interest in Bike Maintenance courses.  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Re: Assessing the interest in Bike Maintenance courses.
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 02:37:38 PM
Would love to do the full service one yet but the bike is not yet in need, will you be offering these down the line too?

Offline marksmcparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Anglesey
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 05:38:56 PM
Yes, the aim is to cover the full range of servicing work needed, so the basic course eqauates to the 6000 mile service, advanced course is the bigger service, etc.
I'm also open to planning something around what's important to you, so you can book a day or two, 1:1 and we'll cover whatever you want.

Offline brickit

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Exeter
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 08:14:37 PM
I've just come back from a day and a bit with Mark on Anglesey and thought my experience might be of interest.
I had the 18k service coming up and was quoted between £600-£800, with a 4 to 6 week wait. My thought was, buy the parts, get the service done at Mark's, have a great ride up and back through Wales, two nights B&B, some good workshop experience, and all for roughly the same price as letting BMW do it. In the end, I'd already covered some of the basic service items and we concentrated on the engine service items, namely change the plugs, check valve/cam clearances, timing checks and replace air filter, plus new drive chain and sprocket.

Mark has (for me), a hyper-clean, organised, well equipped workshop, so working on the bike was a pleasure. He is very engaging, knowledgeable and easy to work with, which gives you a lot of confidence. Whether you want to learn basic servicing or something a bit more involved he is very flexible. I've come away with a much better grasp of what I am capable of doing, what tools I need, how BMW put their bikes together, single, double, treble collar panel screws, how to undo all those different electrical connectors without brute force, not to use mole grips too often and re-assembly can be easier than dismantling, if you just take photos and a few notes.
For me it was a brilliant couple of days, which has changed my whole attitude to servicing and maintaining the XR. I  plan to keep this bike for at least the next few years and to do all the work on it myself.
Getting the opportunity for a one to one day in the workshop, with the chap that wrote the XR manual, working on your own bike, for a reasonable price, does seem a bit of a no-brainer.

PS. Coming back down through Wales to Bristol, did make me realise that this bike just gets better and better with age.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 09:38:25 PM
Great write up, bike ownership is so many things to so many people, but i’ve Always been happier knowing what’s underneath me and how it works.