Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What is the best bike cleaner?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Markymark11

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
Re: What is the best bike cleaner?
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 08:12:52 AM »
I use Autoglym for everything, all over spray, then bucket wash, (then dry with the dog's pet dryer) then Autoglym Instant showroom shine. I use Autoglym insect remover and clean screen on the windscreen. (they should give me free shares  :008:)

If it is a dry day with the odd wet patch so the crap is only on the wheels then I use "greased lightning" waterless wash for a quickie. I have never used a jet wash on a bike so can't comment on that one,...and I ACF50 every 4th wash approx.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 09:24:23 AM »
Just about anything other than Muc-Off.   A horribly-agressive alkali cleaner, that has no place in bike cleaning regimes.

Costco has car shampoo so cheap that if you mixed it 50/50 with hot water in a spray can - cover your bike, leave it to soak and hose off. I think the shampoo is £15 for a 25ltr drum!

Offline Markymark11

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »
Also never use "muc off" brake cleaner unless you wash your entire bike vigorously straight after. I used it once rinsed the wheel off but it still stripped the paint off the wheel rim.

Offline Nigelg79

• XR Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 09:16:01 PM »
M16 Extreme Bike Clean is what I use and I think very good. Have used Muc off and didn’t really do a lot. S-Doc cleaning gel is good but very pricey.

I usually snow foam the bike first, leave it on for about 15 minutes before rinsing off. IMO the soap acts to soften and loosen some of the crap before spraying off.

Then chamois dry or blow dry (yes, I know!) before polishing/waxing and lubing/ACF.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 08:36:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nigelg79 [+]
Then chamois dry or blow dry (yes, I know!) before polishing/waxing and lubing/ACF.

Those of you who use ACF-50 for after clean/wash protection.....I assume it's good stuff..?? I've not used it before and have ordered some, just interested in people's thoughts.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 09:13:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Those of you who use ACF-50 for after clean/wash protection.....I assume it's good stuff..?? I've not used it before and have ordered some, just interested in people's thoughts.

Smithy.

When I was living in the UK and commuting into London daily, come around October time I would give the bike a good wash and ACF-50 treatment, and the ride through the winter. Bike would be spring cleaned in April and come up almost like new, but definitely absolutely minimal corrosion! It's brilliant stuff, but as slick as ....

Offline Nigelg79

• XR Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 09:23:34 PM »
ACF is great but needs to be put on really thin, almost a mist. Need to keep away from wheels and brakes as it’s slick and creeps.

Keeps the corrosion at bay though and forms a protective layer which can be cleaned a few times before needing to reapply. Also great on black plastics.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 10:11:52 PM »
Thanks chaps...good info. :028:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline jay4967

• XR Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 09:47:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Nigelg79 [+]
ACF is great but needs to be put on really thin, almost a mist. Need to keep away from wheels and brakes as it’s slick and creeps.

Keeps the corrosion at bay though and forms a protective layer which can be cleaned a few times before needing to reapply. Also great on black plastics.

Totally agree use it here in northern scotland all through the year stops the nuts and bolts getting corroded, shines the plastic back and do it about once a month but you don't need much to go along way

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 11:02:17 PM »
Not a cleaner comparison per se, more of a rust inhibitor comparison but since this conversation is heading that direction... still interesting viewing!

Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...