Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: '19 XR speedo display went haywire  (Read 3307 times)

Offline shinobi13

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Rio Rancho, NM
'19 XR speedo display went haywire
on: February 10, 2020, 04:11:15 PM
I had a new problem with the XR on a ride yesterday. My dash went complete haywire... all of the individual displays (service light, ABS light, ASC light, speed, gear indicator, miles, heated grips, etc.) all flashed intermittently. Turn signals stopped working as well. This went on for a while and then my display went completely blank and the displayed “NO CAN”.

The engine still functioned with no power loss and didn’t go into any limp mode.

WTF??? If anyone has any ideas what happened, I’d love to know. I’m happy it’s still under warranty and will get in to the dealership sometime this week...

Lee

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Re: '19 XR speedo display went haywire
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 04:39:44 PM
NO CAN I would guess be a canbus failure. Don't know how it works though so not 100%

Offline shinobi13

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 05:25:01 PM
I assumed the CANBUS failure, but am perplexed why the intermittent flashing of all the individual sections of my display continued after the "NO CAN" error message flashed a few times.  You'd think if the CANBUS failed, it wouldn't allow any operation.   :157:

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 05:47:26 PM
Pointing out the obvious you’ll either need a trip to the dealer or plug in a GS911.

As for what happened how long were you riding for and when the screen said ‘No Can’ what happened then? Did the screen come back and how far did you ride?

Offline shinobi13

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 07:13:57 PM
The intermittent flashing of "idiot" lights and all my icons within the display happened about 20 minutes into the ride.  I pulled over and shut the XR down for a few minutes, restarted it, and went on my way.  About 5-10 minutes later, the dash wigged out again, doing the same thing.  I got to my destination, shut the bike down again and let it sit for about 90 minutes.  I started my return home trip, and again, 5-10 minutes into the ride, the dash started the intermittent flashing again.  Another 5-10 minutes into the ride, the dash went completely blank and the "NO CAN" error showed up.  That error stayed there for a few minutes and the haywire dash came back.  The oddest thing is that when I arrived at my home, the dash had gone back to almost normal. :232:

Online Winger

• XR God
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 07:30:49 PM
The reason I ask few years back had similar with my K1200r Sport(which I still have) with long story short was a long way from home lost the screen and within 10 miles the bike completely stopped put a new battery on(very long story) and carried on.

Some time later(months)same problem raised its head again and it turned out to be the alternator,not really going to bother you still in warranty if that what it is or maybe just a glitch but I’d be interested to hear what the dealer says.
Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 07:31:35 PM by Winger

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 07:42:23 PM
*Originally Posted by shinobi13 [+]
The intermittent flashing of "idiot" lights and all my icons within the display happened about 20 minutes into the ride.  I pulled over and shut the XR down for a few minutes, restarted it, and went on my way.  About 5-10 minutes later, the dash wigged out again, doing the same thing.  I got to my destination, shut the bike down again and let it sit for about 90 minutes.  I started my return home trip, and again, 5-10 minutes into the ride, the dash started the intermittent flashing again.  Another 5-10 minutes into the ride, the dash went completely blank and the "NO CAN" error showed up.  That error stayed there for a few minutes and the haywire dash came back.  The oddest thing is that when I arrived at my home, the dash had gone back to almost normal. :232:

Check your battery terminals for looseness, failing that, get a proper load check on your battery.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online Winger

• XR God
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 07:49:29 PM
In fact going on from what Smithy said the original batteries do not have the greatest of reputations(do a search)I gave both my original and replacement away on here awhile back and hence the lithium route.

Offline shinobi13

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 08:35:37 PM
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Check your battery terminals for looseness, failing that, get a proper load check on your battery.

Smithy.
That was the first thing I checked.  The terminals were tight and I couldn't find any loose wires in the minimal check I did.  I do keep the XR on a battery tender when it's parked.

Offline Asw63632004

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR1000 se Black
  • Town: Swindon UK
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 09:35:27 PM
My Speedo keeps going a bit funny. Every time I ride the bike the Speedo shows three numbers...the first one is always a '1'    :007:
Andy

dysfunctional