Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre Conundrum  (Read 453 times)

Watshot and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
Tyre Conundrum
« on: February 12, 2020, 04:59:35 AM »
I currently have Roadtec01's on the bike which I like and is the 2nd set I have put on. They handle well in both the wet and dry and give good feel for the road however I am not getting anything like the mileage that others quote. 3K to 3.5k max out of a rear and 5k from the front. The stock T30's were horrible in the wet and were shot at 2.5k. Having done a grand total of 8500 miles in 20 months I'm nearly due to put a new rear on which will be the 4th its had. In the past I've always had Michelin tyres and the PR 4's I had on the blade I was getting about 5k from a rear. Do I go back to these? or take a punt and go for the Road 5's or a bigger punt and go for Angel GT's? or play safe and stick with the 01's and live with the crappy lifespan but know they work well? I'm not expecting 10k out of a tyre but if I could get 5k I would be more than happy and so would the wife (my accountant :008:).....

Answers on a postcard to - I haven't got a bloody clue

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Tyre Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 07:40:21 AM »
A lot depends on the riding you do. Annual mileage and whether these are racked up for leisure miles, commuting or a mix.

I have 2 bikes so my mileage is split, so I largely put one set of new tyres on each bike each year. My commuting bike, an R1200RS gets Avon Storm 3DXM. I use this bike for touring as well. They grip well and wear really well. There is no doubt they could handle the extra power of the XR as they are very popular with Suzuki Hayabusa owners. Avon have a newer sport touring tyre the ST. The first set lasted over 7000 miles a set and the current one seem to be doing as well. £190 a pair, fitted to the bike, compared to £290 for Metz 01.

My XR has a set of Bridgestone S21 - these were cheap last year as the S22 has come out. These grip really well and have stood up to a tour to the Vosges & Ardennes last year. I expect them to last at least 4000 miles. £230 a pair fitted to the bike. S22 were over £300.

You note both of my bikes have tyres that are one revision behind the current model. Both of my bikes are 2016 models and the tyres I am using were the premium tyre back then. The tyres are excellent and offer a considerable cost saving over the latest model. Just because there is a newer version does not mean they get crap overnight...

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 07:53:33 AM »
I got 6,000 miles out of my last rear Road 5 and the front still had good tread when I sold the bike. I mainly ride solo at legal (ish) speeds and that mileage included a 7 day tour of the Pyranees - fully loaded, up and down hairpins and fast riding on the flat. I had no issues in the wet and personally will stay with Road 5's now, which,  I think for every day road use are perfect for the XR  :002: I grabbed a pair off Oponeo last year for £220 delivered and they are in the garage waiting for something other than rain or grit to appear on the roads round here :008:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:55:18 AM by Markymark11 »

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »
I think I got about 3600 from the rear 01 on the XR (lots of 2 up riding) and only a few hundred more on the GT's (albeit on the KTM GT not the XR) so your mileage sounds about right to me. I didn't get much more than the GT's when on PR4's (again different bike, my old GSXR 1000 streetfighter) but prefer the feel of the 01's and GT's to the Michelins.
I would rather slightly less mileage but better feel (everyone feels tyres differently)
The GT's I use are the first gen (not GTII) and would recommend them. Grip well even in less than ideal conditions and suit my KTM nicely. Haven't tried them on the XR yet as I keep picking up good part worn 01's

Offline Wonger

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 01:24:22 PM »
A lot depends on the pressure and load you're running. I killed a set of S22's in 1500 miles before the profile was screwed beyond enjoyable levels. Too low a pressure for the passenger set up.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 04:48:06 PM »
Road 5 are the best tyres I have ever used for the sort of riding that I do and wear rate seems to be reasonable. Prefer them to RT 01. Yes the Bridgestone T30's supplied with the bike are pretty awful.  :305:
PSH

Offline jakebake

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 07:54:49 AM »
Roadtecs suit the bike best . I have had 2 sets and strangely enough the front always wears out quicker then the rear by some margin and I don’t really class myself as a heavy late breaker . Rear will last 5k but if touring with motorways  etc it will square at 3k

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »
Bought a pair of the Metz last year as M&P were cheap but had few Mich's turn up so trying those.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:55:23 AM by Winger »

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
I have mixed feelings about the Metzler 01s I think I have done 3 rears and 2 fronts. They are not bad and in cold weather do grip pretty good.

However they probably only last 800-1000 miles more than a sports tyre, but those extra miles are all with it pretty squared off. They also start with a less sporty profile and a sports tyre.
So I end up with about 3200-3500 miles from them,

So I went back to a sportier S22 last year. I really, really like the way they ride however I only got about 2500 out of a rear and it was verging on illegal at that point. Also the front cupped really badly loads left in the middle but edges quite worn.

2500 is not enough on some of the bigger tours I do and doing stuff like an early season North Wales trip in the cold they don't grip as well as a 01 does in the cold.

I have run Rosso 3's to and I quite liked them, seemed to last a bit longer than the S22 (though not much), though I had only just got the bike then so I probably abuse the tyres a bit more now I am a bit more in tune with the bike :-)

So I guess you pays your money and takes your chance :-)

Offline FME

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:14:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
es the Bridgestone T30's supplied with the bike are pretty awful.  :305:

And yet Ron Haslam uses them in his school on the track in all weathers