Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Headlight Bulb upgrade  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Warree

• XR Member
  • Town: Pembury
Re: LED Headlight Bulb upgrade
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 12:16:05 PM »
They seem to have a separate driver so a bit more hassle to fit??

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »
Most LED bulbs will have some sort of ballast box and some method of cooling as well. The majority use fans for cooling while some have flexible heat shield stuff. Either way the LED bulbs don't fit under the factory cover so you'll need to come up with something else. Someone here linked to a hard plastic cover that is deeper than the factory one think it was on eBay. I just used a rubber boot from amazon. The box is mounted under the fairing to the right. The advantage to LED is the box is smaller than HID ballasts making it a easy upgrade.

Offline Warree

• XR Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 04:25:56 PM »
Thank you for that mate  :152:
I am having trouble finding the GT Ultra mini 2 in the UK
What are other XR blokes finding the best that is available in the UK?
Mine is a 2018

Offline NJ-S1kXR

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: NJ-USA
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »
I have not yet been able to find a LED replacement which didn’t cause the LampF error. I tried the GTR mini CSP, off-brand LED with an external “CAN-BUS” ballast and a third set which I dont remember the brand off.  All of them caused the lamp error.   I’ve got a pair of the TechMax on order from Amazon and will give them a try - hopefully they work. 
Last resort will be the full replacement of the headlights with Atoplite LED full headlight housing....a bit costly however.. :155:

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 08:36:02 PM »
Are you talking about the H7 bulb or the little mini parking lamps? The couple of H7 LED's I've used have not cause any LAMPF lights. Now the little 5W5 bulbs that's a whole different story.

Offline NJ-S1kXR

• XR Junior
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 08:40:47 PM »
Actually, opposite; all the H7 for the main headlight have caused errors with or without external ballasts. The mini parking lights I use are “Elite Vision” LEDs from amazon and have not had any issues with those.  The bike is a 2018 as I might have mentioned. It seems some work for 2017 or earlier while note in the 2018.   :112:

Offline Warree

• XR Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 09:35:21 PM »
So has anyone been successful with any LED headlight bulb in a 2018 or later UK model please?

Offline NJ-S1kXR

• XR Junior
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »
The TechMax h7  bulbs showed up and I installed them; so far no LAMPF error   :152:  this is after running the bike in the garage for 5 min, so will need to take it out for a longer run and see how they hold up...so far so good.  Ps> this is on a 2018 US spec bike.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 12:44:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by NJ-S1kXR [+]
The TechMax h7  bulbs showed up and I installed them; so far no LAMPF error   :152:  this is after running the bike in the garage for 5 min, so will need to take it out for a longer run and see how they hold up...so far so good.  Ps> this is on a 2018 US spec bike.

mine have been in for 6 months /6000 miles, also no problems.

Offline Warree

• XR Member
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
Great news, thank you.
Does anyone know of a UK supplier?
Ebay only have US sellers and then there are three options so I am not sure which one is working for our beloved XRs?

dysfunctional