Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Damaged Navigator V  (Read 3072 times)

Offline m0ng00se

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Grays, Essex
Damaged Navigator V
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:03:31 PM »
a few days ago, I stupidly fumbled when trying to put the navigator v on the bike, dropped and cracked the touchscreen bit, LCD screen still works fine, but touch didn't work at all anymore. Phoned BMW to ask what they would normally do in such a case and they informed me as it was dropped, it was not covered under warranty and will have to sell me a new unit  :230: or phone Garmin and see what they say. I didn't buy it from a dealer btw, I bought it from that shop in Italy, Fridemoto, was just checking what they would normally do in such cases.

So, I phoned up Garmin which told me they don't have these units, it was a BMW unit running their software and I have to ask the dealer, of course, which I couldn't and the likelihood that Fridemoto will help is next to none. Some pushing and emails to Garmin, all of a sudden they can swap it for me now, but since it's not covered under warranty, they charge £116 replacement fee, better than buying a new one at least.

So it turns out, Garmin can replace these, despite what they tell you on the phone. Still not received the unit, but they gave me RMA number and everything, so lets see if it turns up.

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Town: South Central
Re: Damaged Navigator V
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:40:03 PM »
I drop stuff all the time (!) so this is good to know - thanks.  Hope you get the new one through soon.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:34:29 AM »
Try http://www.satnav-doctor.co.uk/ .  A replacement screen will be much cheaper than the Garmin exchange program.
Regards
Scotti

Offline m0ng00se

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 08:47:10 AM »
yeah in future i might have to  ... would be interested to know if they do BMW units. Garmin told me they don't fix it because the unit is "sealed". Also, not sure what screen they would us, it's not a zumo 660 screen, i think they are only 4.5" and the navigator is 5".

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:41:25 AM »
The Nav 5 is the same as a Garmin 590, so they will just use the equivalent Garmin parts.
Regards
Scotti

Offline m0ng00se

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:51:04 AM »
Ah cool .. good to know, thanks. i hope i don't drop it again, but looks like you can buy those digitizers from ebay for a tenner.