Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suspention problems S1000XR  (Read 1678 times)

Offline addelaat

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: 's-Hertogenbosch
Re: Suspention problems S1000XR
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 04:52:56 PM »
Thank you for the compliment.
But in the past I have competed for the Dutch Superbike championship.
I am looking for experiences from others and the possible solutions that they have found for this.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 05:12:37 PM »
For any perspective buyers reading this thread it is possible to order a non ESA X/R,I did and I have had the bike since 16,even then the stock shock was taken off and replaced with a Wilbers,if i’m Honest the front forks could do with a re-valve to suit my taste but does make for a less complicated life,famous last words of course because I have KTMGT which no doubt will bite me in the backside with the dreaded electric suns in future,although in fairness to KTM they do seem to make more of an effort to address problems.

Offline falernia

• XR Junior
  • Town: Shropshire
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 09:46:28 AM »
Hello again Addelaat,

I would be very interested to know how you get on with your project, especially whether the Adreani forks work without error codes. Do you know what it is likely to cost you in total? Is it easy to revert back to standard, without major expense, for when you sell the bike?

Part of me would love to do something similar as I love the XR in every respect apart from the suspension and that is a big elephant in the room as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder whether anybody in the UK has replaced their suspension; and how it has affected their insurance/warranty etc.?

Offline addelaat

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: 's-Hertogenbosch
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2020, 11:31:18 AM »
Hello again Addelaat,

I would be very interested to know how you get on with your project, especially whether the Adreani forks work without error codes. Do you know what it is likely to cost you in total? Is it easy to revert back to standard, without major expense, for when you sell the bike?

Part of me would love to do something similar as I love the XR in every respect apart from the suspension and that is a big elephant in the room as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder whether anybody in the UK has replaced their suspension; and how it has affected their insurance/warranty etc.?

Hi Faleria,

If it works I can tell you after.
My suspension-dealer had contact with Adreani and they say theirs no problem with errors.
The price you can check it on de website from Adreani. Cartridge €529,-- , 1 dongel  €85,--. plus 1 ltr fork oil.
At the back > Wilbers shock with any stock-parts (ESA and the stock valve) €899,00.
Plus the costs of conversion.
It will be around €2.000,-- €2.200,--
Maybe you can do a lot of thinks by yourself.
Rebuilding back to the standard version is always possible.

I'am come from the Netherlands and I do not expect any problems with the insurance.

Will be continued.

Offline bobdave

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 06:13:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
'although in fairness to KTM they do seem to make more of an effort to address problems.'
I had a KTM 1290GT which started giving allsorts of MTC errors which were totally inconsistent but a real pain, causing the bike to go into limp mode. on so many occasions. Whilst my local dealer was very good, KTM themselves were pretty poor and never solved the issue, hence I am now on an XR which for now is behaving impeccably.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 07:52:17 AM »
Well I guess you can only speak as you find but currently I have 3 Beemers both my elderly K1200r Sport and my X/R are non ESA by choice because I have never felt BM put all that much effort in apart from the suspension goes boing boing...,I’ve avoided buying a KTM for years because of their reputation felt in recent times they both as a marque and my financial situation have improved no end so I’d take a punt/risk with two other mates that have them that have been good.

The original settings on the 16/27/18 GT’s left a lot to be desired but in fairness too KTM they did a recall/upgrade and it’s a major improvement never going to give me the control I have with my non ESA bikes but it’s pretty good now.

Offline bobdave

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 07:59:27 AM »
To be fair, I loved the KTM when it was running properly and had no complaints with the suspension. My issue was with the gremlins that kept creeping in causing it to go into MTC failure and KTMs inability to permanently fix it. I was told I was doing too many miles (only about 12000 a year) which I couldn't believe for a touring bike so I moved it on. Unfortunately I just don't feel I can trust them now.

Offline zbdmark

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 09:08:49 PM »
These problems are exactly the reason I was originally considering ordering the non ESA version, however my dealer was very persuasive saying nobody would want it in a few years when I sold it and in the end I managed to get a £2000 discount on the top model as it just happened to be a time when they needed to hit their quarterly target so I went for that. It has/does worry me long term that the ESA might be unreliable/expensive to fix. Having said that I have not had issues so far including a tour of Germany fully laden and 2 up. It handled great.     
Avoiding depression is easy - ride your bike as often as possible

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 10:11:45 PM »
Classic salesman’s pitch the irony is the truth is completely the opposite,I bought a non ESA K1200 11 years ago and still have it and it’s one less complication to deal with,took 2 and half months for my custom order non ESA to come through but it didn’t come in my name So i didn’t get the sales bending my ear,for you guys who chop and change every couple years would have thought the ESA bike would make little difference but i’m In it for the long haul,the KTM I have could well end tears we’ll see  :001:

dysfunctional