Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suspension problems S1000XR  (Read 9239 times)

Offline addelaat

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: 's-Hertogenbosch
Re: Suspension problems S1000XR
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2020, 11:23:31 AM »
Hello Felernia,
I think you made the best decision to put a good set of suspension under your motorcycle.
This way you got a motorcycle that is much better than originally delivered.
I don't think you want to buy a new motorcycle in the first few years either.
Do not forget to service the suspension every 20,000 km / 12,000 ml.

Question: what can you set with your rear suspension.
High and low-speed compression, spring tension and rebound?
Enjoy driving and tell others too.

Greetings Ad de Laat

Offline falernia

• XR Member
  • Town: Shropshire
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by addelaat [+]

Question: what can you set with your rear suspension.
High and low-speed compression, spring tension and rebound?
Enjoy driving and tell others too.

Greetings Ad de Laat

Hi Ad de Laat,

I should start by saying that I'm no engineer, so I rely on others to set my bike up. But I do know what I like with the feel of the bike.

Looking at the manual, it looks as if everything is adjustable, including low and high speed compression damping.

You might like to take a look at the comprehensive manual which can be downloaded from this link: https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/downloads/manuals/rt10/rt10-manual.pdf

I hope that it is of interest.

Best wishes,
Chris.

Offline CroRider

• XR Junior
  • Town: Zagreb
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2020, 07:30:29 PM »
Hi guys. I was about to sell my bike, and then I stumbled on this thread. I started to think that there is something wrong with my bike or my ride style, but I see that others are having issues also.
My bike is S1000XR Tripple Black (2019), all stock with Akrapovič. I am 194 cm (6'4") tall and weigh around 95 kg.

I've been riding different bikes for many years. I used to have R1200S and did many great trips on that bike. It was not the best handling bike ever, and I would not call it flickable, but once you set it in one position it would stay there. It was very stabile and confidence inspiring. After owning R1200S for 10 wonderful years, I bought an R1250GS. Realized soon it was not my cup of tea, I exchanged it for my current S1000XR.

The best way to describe my bike behavior is "wobbly" or "loose". Everything is ok in low speeds or even higher speeds on a really good surface. But if the road becomes bumpy, or if I start to ride it really aggressive, the suspension starts to show its drawbacks. I was thinking that there is something wrong with the steering damper because the handlebar is very light and easy to turn even in very high speeds.

After reading this thread I decided to order Andreani Misano fork catriges to see if that will help. If that will improve handling then I will also change rear shock and steering damper.
While I was looking for suspension options, I also found Ohlins rear shock and maybe I'll order it if I keep the bike long enough.
https://www.omniaracing.net/en/ohlins-mono-adjustable-rear-shock-absorber-ttxgp-for-bmw-s1000xr-2014-p-80156.html

It's a shame because otherwise this is a perfect bike for me. I like the riding position, engine, shifter, basically everything except suspension.
Will update you with the results once I get everything done. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Offline gianco80

• XR Member
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2020, 03:34:43 PM »
hi!
have you installed new suspensions?
feeling?

Offline CroRider

• XR Junior
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2020, 12:24:44 PM »
Hi. I decided to sell my bike as I was not sure if it's worth upgrading the suspension. I test rode S1000RR and R1200RS after I sold my bike. I was expecting S1000RR to be much better in terms of handling, but R1200RS was a nice surprise. RS handles very nicely, it's very stabile in the corners, and at the same time is much more comfortable and plush than XR. If BMW would combine XR engine and shifter with RS chassis and suspension that would be something.
So for all of you guys thinking about getting an XR I would suggest test riding RS first.

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2020, 06:40:31 AM »
I have both an XR and an RS.  The RS is definitely refined!  I bought the RS in October 2015.  I test rode the XR and the RS back to back and I liked the RS much, much better.  I bought a 2019 XR last August and I like it much better than the 2015 XR.  I am quite happy and lucky to have both.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2020, 07:55:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by CroRider [+]
Hi. I decided to sell my bike as I was not sure if it's worth upgrading the suspension. I test rode S1000RR and R1200RS after I sold my bike. I was expecting S1000RR to be much better in terms of handling, but R1200RS was a nice surprise. RS handles very nicely, it's very stabile in the corners, and at the same time is much more comfortable and plush than XR. If BMW would combine XR engine and shifter with RS chassis and suspension that would be something.
So for all of you guys thinking about getting an XR I would suggest test riding RS first.

Dear neighbor  :002:, have you had an opportunity to ride the new XR ?
Beside my 2020 XR I also own an 2016 R1200R, which is identical to RS, just without fairings. Frame, suspension etc, everything is the same on both bikes. And I can tell you that the 2020 XR with the suspension set in Road mode is softer and plusher than my R1200R. Only part where the R/RS wins against the XR is the seat. It is thicker padded and much more comfortable both for driver and passenger, and it gives you more freedom to move. I haven't ridden a Gen 1 XR, but from what I've heard from its owners it seams that it's much much harder and rough compared to Gen 2. As for the chassis and engine, XR is much, much quicker and more precise in the corners than the R/RS. So give the new XR a try before you reach the final verdict  :028:
If you liked the RS so much, perhaps you should buy a GS. Same engine, even more comfortable, more popular (better value) when you decide to sell it
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 08:24:37 AM by esso_sa »

Offline CroRider

• XR Junior
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »
Thanks Esso.
I've been riding R1200S for more than 10 years, then "upgraded" to R1250GS for one year, and then moved to XR, also one year. I've been riding many other bikes in the last 30 years, so I pretty much know what to expect from a bike. I'm not saying that XR is a lousy bike in general, it just doesn't fit my riding style.

I'm heavily on the sport side of the "sport touring", and I use my bikes only for weekend fun and maybe one longer trip a year. My usual daily ride consists of 650 km A and B roads, and all of my friends ride RR-s.

With the R1200S I never had any problems. I could easily and without any special effort ride with my friends on weekends. The bike was super stable and precise with enough power for the road. It was also relatively comfortable so for example I went from Croatia to Iran and back, 18.000 km in 25 days without any big issues. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/690232-croatia-iran-back-trip-report.html)

With the 1250GS it was a mixed bag. I could follow my friends on weekend rides, but always felt that I'm riding on the edge. The pegs were scraping all the time but at least I was riding in comfort. Can't blame the bike and maybe I'll buy it again in 10 years if I slow down.

XR was a good improvement over GS from the riding dynamics perspective. It's more agile and fun than the GS, with better engine and shifter. Handling of the XR is good but not great. If the surface is super nice, the bike handles well. However if the surface is bumpy or rough the bike gets very nervous. Unlike other bikes I rode recently (R1200RS, S1000RR), XR requires a lot of effort and energy to hold the line on rough surfaces. This is not very noticeable when going slow or medium fast, but when pushing the limits it gets very annoying. For example R1200RS is super stabile and holds perfect lines on the same roads.
I also test rode the new XR, and did not see any improvement in those areas.

Hope this clarifies some of my previous comments. I understand that not everyone has the same experience, but just saying that it did not work for me.

J.

Online Macduff

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »
I was pondering this thread and wondered if the comments were 1st Gen XR related or 2nd Gen (2020). I've never ridden the early XR versions and my last BMW was a 2002 GSA whose stock sussies were a bit weak and wore out (lost damping control) in under 10Km (replaced under warranty but still woeful so swapped with Ohlins- also not without issues ) .   Waffle over I would like to add that my ESA Pro equipped 2020 XR (TE) is wonderful on crappy undulating/broken tarmac that pretends to be the local roads in Road mode. The road mode damping feels a little bouncy when sat in the saddle but on the move it doesn't appear to bounce more than the initial compression and rebound back to normal ride height , and has proved very useful on my local roads. I road the dealer demo in dynamic damping and that felt firm and tightly controlled but not harsh, though in the running in period on my XR I've not felt the need to turn dynamic damping on yet, and now the temps are on the slide averaging around 12degC now) I probably wont before it gets parked for winter.  For info I'm around 90+Kgs kitted up and I've regular had the Missus on the back and its behaved the same without issue. I've left ESA Pro preload in auto settings though only have the choice of that and min.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2020, 02:35:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by CroRider [+]
I'm heavily on the sport side of the "sport touring", and I use my bikes only for weekend fun and maybe one longer trip a year. My usual daily ride consists of 650 km A and B roads, and all of my friends ride RR-s.

This is the exact reason why I moved to the XR. My riding "regime" is identical to yours, and I find the XR is perfect for it. After everything you've just described, I'm not sure that the RS is the bike for you. You will probably and very quickly come to the same conclusion as you did with the GS. After all, those 2 bikes use the same engine/gearbox. And if you were scraping the pegs on the GS all the time, you will scrape them even more and much earlier on an RS. It doesn't take much to scrape the pegs on R/RS, because those 2 bikes sit much lower than the GS. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:37:43 PM by esso_sa »