Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Custom exhaust  (Read 551 times)

Offline Number2

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Charleston
Custom exhaust
« on: February 24, 2020, 11:50:21 PM »
I have a local mechanic who has previously made an exhaust for another bike and am considering having him do to the same for my XR. He would cut off the the cat  and weld a new set of pipes to connect to an aftermarket slip on muffler. My question is what happens when the servo valve is removed and how would the new system affect fueling?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Custom exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:24:23 PM »
It most certainly wouldn’t be my choice but I’ve no doubt with either a PC5 or Rapidbike could be made to work of sorts,no doubt would run without either but you would still be left with the restricted TUV fuel map which is the thing you really need to get rid of for the best results.

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:33:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Number2 [+]
I have a local mechanic who has previously made an exhaust for another bike and am considering having him do to the same for my XR. He would cut off the the cat  and weld a new set of pipes to connect to an aftermarket slip on muffler. My question is what happens when the servo valve is removed and how would the new system affect fueling?

If you remove the servo valve, you can leave the servo in situ and just remove the cables, it will throw fault code, (but not a fault light), you can also remove the servo altogether then fit a servo buddy which will trick the system into thinking the servo is still there.
Best way to go is fit a proper set of headers such as Arrow or Akro and get a proper remap, PC5 or RBE. The original map is a bit too lean in the bottom end of the map to comply with emissions laws...which in turn causes poorly low speed/rpm performance, removing the cats will make it worse unless it's rectified with one of the fueling options. It will run....but not at it's best.

Depending on the muffler you choose, it will also be loud without the cats.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:38:39 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online Warree

• XR Member
  • Town: Pembury
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 03:00:40 PM »
As the Rapidbike Evo/Racing have a track/race use only sticker on them; does fitting one affect your motor vehicle accident insurance?

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 10:36:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Warree [+]
As the Rapidbike Evo/Racing have a track/race use only sticker on them; does fitting one affect your motor vehicle accident insurance?

Good question....I can't understand why it would..it actually makes the bike better, not worse. I suspect the "sticker" is there to protect Rapid-Bike should something go wrong. But probably best to contact your insurer to make sure.

Smithy.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!