Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve Inspection / Adjustment Tools?  (Read 667 times)

Offline antarius

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Bay Area, CA
Valve Inspection / Adjustment Tools?
« on: February 25, 2020, 03:51:51 AM »
What's up everyone!  So, I'm barreling towards my 18,000 mile service which I will do myself - and obviously, it includes a valve check.   I've seen with S1000RR motors there are specific tools to index the camshafts back in place to make sure they're timed properly, as well as lock the crank in place, etc, etc.  My past experience with valve adjustments on DOHC motors is that none of that is "really necessary" as you can properly mark / take photos of the arrangement prior to removal and simply replace it exactly.

Butttttttt, I figured I'd reach out to all ya'll who may have done it on this particular motor before I shell out $250 for some one-time-use tools.

So, do I need any special tools - assuming I actually need to adjust the valves - I realize I won't need anything to simply check them.  But yeah, do I need the crank locking tool?  The camshaft index checking jig?  The fixed tensioner?   Yes? No? Anything else?

Thanks!

Offline Bikerboy636

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000xr
  • Town: Chichester
Re: Valve Inspection / Adjustment Tools?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »
mine is on 42,000 miles and has had 2 valve checks and is still in spec, I would be very surprised if anything need adjusting based on mine, did say at the next big one a couple of the exhaust valves may need doing, told they get a harder time,

Offline marksmcparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bath
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
You need a crank locking pin, which isn't anything special at all. A 5mm (iirc) drill bit works perfectly well. Apart from that its a very straightforward engine to work on.

The whole service including adjusting the valve clearances is covered in my book available here:
https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/service-manuals

Reader reports here:
https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,940.0.html

Hope that helps, Cheers, Mark

Offline antarius

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »
You know what?  I'm a jackass.  I have your book and it totally blanked me to check it.  I suck!!!

Hahaha.  Thanks!!

Offline marksmcparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bath
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 04:03:57 PM »
 :008: :008:

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 07:52:17 PM »
What Mark said...the valve clearance inspection isn't really difficult, just a bit time consuming....the need to remove & replace most of the tupperware etc takes up most of the time. Actually checking the clearance itself is a doddle....these days it's quite rare for them to be out of spec....but if it turns out you do have any which need attention, you can buy shims and indeed kits to suit these engines, if you plan to keep your bike for a long time and do your own servicing, it's a good option, I help out a few mates with R's and RR's which makes the requirement for the shim kit worth the effort.

Another thing some don't know is the fact that the cams and cam chain on these Gen-1 S1000 engines actually spin backwards in relation to the crankshaft, I believe the new gen-2 2019 RR and 2020 XR engine is conventional with crank and cams all spinning the same direction.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:54:31 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline antarius

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 02:11:02 AM »
Interesting that the cams rotate "backwards."   That's cool!

Anyhow, I'm pretty comfortable digging around inside engines so if ya'll are saying (and Marks' book that I can read!) says it's your typical DOHC shim/bucket design, all will be well.  I was more or less reaching out to make sure it didn't have some funky procedure like my V4 Aprilia did, or when I split my GS in half to fix the counter-shaft balance seal.  Haha.

So, less than 5k miles from now I'll dig into her and see whats up!!

As far as shim KITS are concerned, I did some Googling and apparently people are using a  Wiseco VSK4 Premium 8.90mm shim kit that has the same diameter shim we need and seems to work fine?  That sound about right?  I'm not interested in buying single shims from the dealer.

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 05:45:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by antarius [+]
Interesting that the cams rotate "backwards."   That's cool!

Anyhow, I'm pretty comfortable digging around inside engines so if ya'll are saying (and Marks' book that I can read!) says it's your typical DOHC shim/bucket design

They're not bucket & shim type, they have small "underslung" rocker arms with the shims on the end of those.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:52:08 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline antarius

• XR Junior
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 05:51:02 AM »
Yeah I saw that, shim sits on top and there's little finger/follower things. that push on them.  Bottom line is camshafts come out to re-shim if needed, similar to shim under bucket - without the bucket removal.  LOL
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:54:17 AM by antarius »

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 08:48:08 AM »
You are also meant to use the BMW tool to check cam timing to make sure the chain has not stretched aren't you?

The tool that fits into the semi circle cut outs in the head casting.

dysfunctional