Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TOOL KIT  (Read 943 times)

Offline Garcharles

• XR Junior
TOOL KIT
« on: March 01, 2020, 07:39:11 PM »
I after some help, I'm looking to buy or put together a on bike tool kit, the problem I have is that the bike is fitted with a factory alarm which takes up a lot of the very little room there is under the seat. Help would be great on we're to buy a already prepared kit, or advice on what I may need (sizes) to get to put it together myself. Thanks

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: TOOL KIT
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 07:51:12 PM »
The most useful things are a roll of electrical tape, some cable ties and a puncture repair kit or aerosol can. These can you get you back on the road if you break a mirror or get a puncture. A small LED torch, mini compressor and jump start pack are items I carry in my topbox on longer trips.

Anything more major and you are unlikely to fix the bike by the roadside so get decent breakdown cover, carry a well charged phone and have a credit card handy.

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 09:07:03 PM »
I carry a tire repair kit, a smart phone, and a credit card.  Sometimes, I also include a phone sized jump start lithium battery.  No hand tools.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 08:17:43 AM »
Pretty much the same as "Wessie" except I also carry a Torx T25 bit and a small 1/4" ratchet wrench in case of bulbs and other body panel removals. (I know you can do the bulbs without but it is a 2 minute job to remove the infill panels to give you more room) and all the main upper bolts are T25.

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »
No alarm on mine, and have used a dremel to remove the supports. Cleaned up the useless wiring by routing it under the right panel, and have room for (each in a pocket) the below. Did use a tiewrap tie to ensure the seat support rubber does not crunch the wires
- disc lock Abus Granite, fits just closest to battery
- some BMW tools + tire repair set + Stanley multi tool driver with torx bits etc
- light rain jacket
- sunglasses

In addition I've a Held bag that fits on the passenger location that zips on and off.  Water, windbreaker, etc goes in there. 
And you can fit light weight stuff (sunglasses, rain jacket) in a side fairing.  Did that with sunglasses, stuffed inside light weight working gloves. So if you have a roadside problem you have gloves. And you can put the battery straight up too. Fits just, but a bit of work as + and - change position and you need to remove some wrapping. My Pro Oiler sat there
I'm awaiting my 2020..

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 11:40:12 AM »
No alarm taking up space on mine, but I carry - puncture repair kit. M/C tool kit (as you used to get with bikes) with 10/12mm spanners for chain adjustment, and addition of torx allen key set (£5 ebay) and 34mm ring spanner (m/c tool kit type) for rear wheel nut (it's an old imperial one I found on ebay nearly the right size, I just had to file it out a tad to fit) and a few cable ties. All fits nicely under the seat

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »
I keep zip ties “gaffer tape as it holds the universe together" rear wheel nut socket cut down socket spanner multi tool and the best thing I’ve found for quick repairs Evo-stik Hard & Fast Metal Epoxy Putty. I once did an exhaust header repair with it and coke can at the side of the road in France it held up until I could get my hands on a welder.

I keep a puncher kit in the tank bag and taped inside the side panels at the back of the bike a clutch and brake leaver.
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 12:56:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
34mm ring spanner (m/c tool kit type) for rear wheel nut
Thanks, will add that too. Have acces to old tools, will cut a spanner. With my known weight a 12cm length should do for 100Nm

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »
What I do is torque the rear wheel nut then put a line on the nut and one on the swingarm and then when they are lined up your good when away touring.
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 03:12:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
What I do is torque the rear wheel nut then put a line on the nut and one on the swingarm and then when they are lined up your good when away touring.

Good idea. I'll do this too.