Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Interesting review from Bennets  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Bikerboy636

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000xr
  • Town: Chichester
Interesting review from Bennets
« on: March 02, 2020, 01:03:49 PM »
He owns a current model and went to test the new one, liked the review,

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Interesting review from Bennets
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 01:33:54 PM »
based on what I've seen, BMW has a pretty tight control on press releases. Like if you release something before we allow it, don"t expect an invitation to a next event. This seems a soft release pushing BMW's limits.  Doesn"t say much either

Offline Remo83

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR 3B
  • Town: Leuven
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 02:14:55 PM »
Well,

I thought the Bennett's review was one of the most neutral and objective ones around.
New isn't always better, depending on your style of driving and many of the perceived disadvantages of the old bike don't bother me at all.
As soon as a run-in demo bike is available at my BMW dealer, I'll see if the new model is truly worth an upgrade from the old one to me.
For me, this new version misses things like e.g. an adaptive cruise control to be a real novelty, feature-wise.
I'm sure that will turn up once KTM and Ducati launch their new bikes, like the V4 Multistrada and the new 1290 Adventure.

All the best,

Remo

Offline Markymark11

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 04:17:36 PM »
He is the same guy who did the comparison with the new Versys 1000 and did a proper test. Following that he bought an XR himself. I've also watched other reviews of his, and I find his reviews are as honest as you will get from a journo who are understandably, under pressure.

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Remo83 [+]

For me, this new version misses things like e.g. an adaptive cruise control to be a real novelty, feature-wise.

All the best,

Remo

the new XR has everything I want. Everything people complained upon has been adressed. New bar suspension re vibrations or mirror shake, 10% longer 6th, lighter. Much better display without that ridiculous track display setup and wiring. TPMS is now possible.
But adaptive cruise control on a motorbike? Seriously? You want a massage seat too , and selectable backlight colour for the switchgear? Mirrors adjustable thru the wonderwheel maybe?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:29:08 PM by Salem »

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 05:42:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
based on what I've seen, BMW has a pretty tight control on press releases. Like if you release something before we allow it, don"t expect an invitation to a next event. This seems a soft release pushing BMW's limits.  Doesn"t say much either

Looks like the "information ban" has been lifted, starting with this month.
Many S1000XR reviews from January press release in Spain showed up today on Youtube

So most of them confirmed what I was hoping for - easier to reach the ground on new one, softer and more comfortable suspension in road mode, better engine with torque everywhere, no vibes. Basically, they made it better for touring, while keeping its racing genes still available and when you twist the throttle over 8000 rpms
I've also noticed on one of the reviews that at 130 km/h, 6th gear, it spins just under 5000 rpm's. This is great for an inline 4, and for those of us who plan to travel with it.
For example, my R1200R with boxer engine spins at 4000 rpms at the same speed, so 1000 rpms difference is really nothing
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:44:15 PM by esso_sa »

Offline Remo83

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR 3B
  • Town: Leuven
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 10:29:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
the new XR has everything I want. Everything people complained upon has been adressed. New bar suspension re vibrations or mirror shake, 10% longer 6th, lighter. Much better display without that ridiculous track display setup and wiring. TPMS is now possible.
But adaptive cruise control on a motorbike? Seriously? You want a massage seat too , and selectable backlight colour for the switchgear? Mirrors adjustable thru the wonderwheel maybe?

Hi Salem,

To each his own. Nothing the new XR offers tickles my personal fancy, as I don't perceive the improvements of the new XR as severe issues of the original one.
I have no interest in wheelies (controlled or not), I have no problems with the buzz in my handlebars, I don't perceive 400-500 rpm in 6th gear a huge difference and finally, I prefer watching the road in stead of a huge, fragile Iphone display  :018:. I'm not against the latter, it's just not a must or even a nice to have.

An adaptive cruise control is my personal wish. The new XR is full of electronics, so that extra bit wouldn't have made a lot of difference.
On long tours or commutes, I appreciate every bit of life saving technology, as fatigue is a major killer, not only in cars but also in motorcycles.
A massage seat would be useful, but I'd settle for a heated seat. :745:

I'll be buying a nice airbag vest next. You may also perceive that as superfluous, but I personally don't.
Some accidents you can't survive, some you only survive with an airbag.

I remember my first motorcycles without ABS or traction control. Nobody found those electronics useful in the beginning, as it took away control from us testosterone laden creatures.
Well, times have changed and pretty much every motorcycle has that feature now. It's called progress  :158:.

But seriously, if the new XR ticks all your boxes, feel free to get one. The only thing that counts is that it works for you and nobody else  :821:.
I'll wait for the next version of the XR, or maybe a Multistrada V4, or a new Triumph Tiger (Sport) or a totally different motorcycle...
God forbid, it might even be an electrical motorcycle  :305:.
Who knows what the future will bring?
Hell, I may test drive the new XR in a few months and be totally convinced, like you  :164:.
Time will tell....

All the best,

Remo

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:31:41 PM by Remo83 »

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 12:28:54 AM »
Good review, fair and informative.

I like everything about the 2020 model.  I still have a couple of questions:  is the clutch lever adjustable now?; is the seat level or does it lean forward like on my 2019?

I think the pannier mounting system is a big improvement, similar to the Yamahas'.  I was pleasantly surprised to see a change on the DESA suspension having more range of stiff to soft, even if I am not sure I need that.

BMW has a winner here.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 08:31:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
I like everything about the 2020 model.  I still have a couple of questions:  is the clutch lever adjustable now?; is the seat level or does it lean forward like on my 2019?

Yes, clutch lever is now adjustable.
Not sure about the seat, but they say it's narrower and slightly (2 cm) closer to the handlebars (which are also narrower). So overall, upper part of rider torso is slightly leaned forward
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:32:35 AM by esso_sa »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham

dysfunctional