Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Interesting review from Bennets  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
Re: Interesting review from Bennets
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »
One of the things regularly mentioned on the new bike is the TFT display.

Had a loan GS TE recently whilst one of my bikes was in for a service and can honestly say "so what" about the screen. How much information does one need to ride a bloody motorcycle. It appears to have a gazillion different modes 90% of which are irrelevant.

How fast am I going, how fast is the engine spinning, how much fuel have I got left.

If it wasn't for all the bloody speed cameras I wouldn't need to worry how fast I was going. I managed perfectly well with a trip and reserve tap in the good old days for fuel. So that leaves the tacho which is nice but not essential as long as there's a softish rev limiter.

Sat Nav, couldn't live without one of them these days.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 04:32:09 PM »
Thought it was a good review, particularly the comparison with the 2019 XR. Could have done with a few more detailed photos of the new XR. Dont think I will be buying one anytime as £7.2k to change my 2019 XR SE for a red TE is totally unacceptable. I really object to being ripped off :305:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:32:49 PM by PaulS1000XR »
PSH

Offline Markymark11

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 07:48:08 AM »
 :0461: Obviously every manufacturer has to update and create new models, that is life, and I think BMW have produced a bike that answers most of the criticisms of the original model, which is good... but.... it will cost me £8k to swap from my 2018 with 4,000 miles on it - is the new one £8k better - I think not !  is it £8k faster ? NO, is it £8k better looking ? NO, is it £8k comfier ? NO, is it £8k better to lose 500rpm in top gear ? NO, is it £8k better because I have to have the latest and newest version of everything with bragging rights - not to me ! - I will be keeping mine  :002:

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 09:08:32 AM »
Anyone saw this video where Russian guy broke the rear swingarm on the new XR ?
Looks like the rear axle wasn't tightened fully so when he hit the throttle, the wheel pushed the chain tensioning bolt straight through the swingarm
Fast forward do 16:25

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:09:48 AM by esso_sa »

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 06:59:37 PM »
Yep, I'll keep my '18.  Finally got it how I like it, now its time to pour on the miles....come on spring!!  :305:
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline jay4967

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 09:31:44 AM »
try this review from Mossy, non manufacture s**t, tells it how it is and the "Claudia Schiffer" bit is worth a laugh!!

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 12:42:54 PM »
Looks like the press day for the new XR was a wet one, so that stinks.  None of the testers were able to push the bike to see how the changes really impact riding dynamics.  That said, I'm not hearing over the top improvements so far, so that should keep our "old" versions from dropping too far, too fast.  Although from some of the trade in values we're hearing about, I'm not sure the dealers got the memo.... :157:
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by jay4967 [+]
try this review from Mossy, non manufacture s**t, tells it how it is and the "Claudia Schiffer" bit is worth a laugh!!

"tells it like it is"????? I'm sorry but when asked if it's worth changing from the current model he dodges the question so as not to upset BMW and potential future test rides. Bit of a poor effort from 44t to be honest

Offline Remo83

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR 3B
  • Town: Leuven
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
Hi,

let's all just take a test ride with the new one and decide if it's worth paying 8K or more for a part ex  :018:.
It might be for some and not for others. It will have to be damn good to give up my triple black with 5K miles on it.

All the best,

RM

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 02:15:59 PM »
In my opinion, and from what I've read/saw from the reviews, new XR is improved in all segments compared to the old model.
As for the decision should you buy one or not, I see that like this:

If you own the old XR for a year or two, it is better to stick with it. New model is obviously better and more rounded, but not that much to make you sell almost brand new bike and lose money in that process. In my opinion,  this population is in the best position at the moment - they can continue driving their old model for year or two more, just long enough for the new model to settle and get cleared from all "brand new model gremlins"

If you don't own the XR at all, but looking to get one (like myself) - new model is the way to go. Yes, first timers could buy the old model too and for cheaper price, but it will still be "old" model which will only get older, so IMHO it's better to save up some more money and go straight for the new one

Those who own the old XR long enough to start thinking that it's time to sell and change (bike is too old, mileage too high), they will probably go for the new one too
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 02:17:56 PM by esso_sa »

dysfunctional