Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Back to the xr help needed...  (Read 1102 times)

Offline neo

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr se
  • Town: chichester
Back to the xr help needed...
« on: March 14, 2020, 09:07:25 AM »
Hi all

Stayed with the forum since my parting the the 17 xr, long and short of it , I missed it, going back to one, help required , offers on table in a nutshell..

A) non BMW dealer 16 plate 18k (service just done) looks ace nice colours,

B) late 18 plate trip black 4500 miles from BMW so waruntee for 2 year blah blah blah

3k in my pocket better off on a....

I am thinking a because basically same bike all be it fork reflectors and a beefed up rear subframe , over the euro 4 model, it has had the rubber isolation under the top clamp

B) newer bike less miles  BM warranty and breakdown but man it's 3k! In my pocket and will I really notice the difference between the two bikes as in euro 3 and 4 .. Cuban rider prefers the phase 1 as brent tune easier to..

Both 1 previous owner bikes to .. I'm thinking option a, 3k is a fair bit of wonger

Thanks for reading , what would you people do?
neo

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Back to the xr help needed...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 09:40:38 AM »
It’s a no brainer ‘B’

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »
A lot depends on how many miles you are going to rack up and in what circumstances.

I have a 2016 XR but it is my 2nd bike and purely an extravagance. I take weekend rides and it went to France for 10 days last year. It does just 4000 miles a year. My other bike is used for commuting and some touring. The other bike sees the brunt of winter weather.

With the 2018 bike, as it has a BMW warranty then you will be using a BMW dealer for service. Not so bad if you have just one service a year but costs rack up if you need 2 a year. With the 2016 bike, you might do the servicing yourself or use an independent. On the other hand, the lower mileage bike is barely run in and those bits that wear out such as brakes, seals, chain, pads etc will be further away from needing replacement.

The other thing, do you have the £3k available or will you need a loan? This would be a significant point for me.

Finally, what colour is the 2016 bike? If it is red, your decision is simple, buy the black one. Says the owner of a white one.

Offline neo

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 10:25:55 AM »
Thanks, the 2016 is not a red one it’s grey white and red kinda tri colour, I have the 3k no problem but can’t seem to justify if over and above what is essentially the same bike only 2year newer, it’s not for commuting just fun and the occasional tour .. thanks
For your reply and help
neo

Offline neo

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
It’s a no brainer ‘B’

That’s my thoughts, I thought I’d ask folk here as there familiar with the bikes and nice to have other opinions, the 18k service has just been done to on that one
neo

Offline gusthemus

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »
If you can afford the ’18 model, which you say you can, I think it’s a no-brainer as well. If I was in the same situation, ‘18 model all the way. Triple Black looks awesome too IMO!

Offline neo

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by gusthemus [+]
If you can afford the ’18 model, which you say you can, I think it’s a no-brainer as well. If I was in the same situation, ‘18 model all the way. Triple Black looks awesome too IMO!

Interesting,  i suppose it is newer and has the warranty, and less miles ..will it hold the value better do you think?
neo

Online Asw63632004

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR1000 se Black
  • Town: Swindon UK
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 11:20:38 AM »
Maybe, if it's just going to be used as a 'toy' , make a super silly low offer on the 16 and if it's accepted spend a few quid on it. Performance between the two is not going to be all that different.  :305:
 :821: . Andy
Andy

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by neo [+]
Interesting,  i suppose it is newer and has the warranty, and less miles ..will it hold the value better do you think?

if you are concerned about residual value, do not buy a motorcycle...

Offline neo

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 11:25:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Asw63632004 [+]
Maybe, if it's just going to be used as a 'toy' , make a super silly low offer on the 16 and if it's accepted spend a few quid on it. Performance between the two is not going to be all that different.  :305:
 :821: . Andy

cheers man I have already negotiated it to hell and back, sports se 2016 (16) 18k  , other corner sports se 5k 2018 (68), £8000.00 vs £11,000
neo

dysfunctional