Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New hoops.  (Read 763 times)

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
New hoops.
« on: March 16, 2020, 10:33:47 AM »
Hi All,
My bike is coming up to 28k km and l'm on my 3rd set of tyres...first set were the OEM Bridgestone T30's....l actually didn't mind them, for a mid range S/T tyre, they held their own....not the best out there but certainly usable. Next came the Michelin RS...super sticky but don't last long. I then fitted a Michelin Road-5 on the rear and an RS on the front, still have them on now and can't fault them...l believe the Road-5 to be the best ST tyre available.
My next set will be the new Metzeler M9RR...a fair bit stickier than the Road-5, so it will be interesting to see how they go. I'm no Rossi or Marquez but consider myself an average rider, the occasional knee down etc but that's about it.
Has anyone had a chance to run the M9RR's yet..?? If so, what think you..??

Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:24:18 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline mikes875

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR & R1200R
  • Town: Sydney Australia
Re: New hoops.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 12:12:22 PM »
I have a set of M9RR just about to go on to replace Road 5's too. If they are anything like the M7RR then they will fantastic, very confidence inspiring. Only went back to the Road 5 as found that if you do long trips it can be a pain having to replace more often en-route etc. I got 4.5k km out of the M7 v 7.5k out of the R5 on roads around Sydney area

Online smithy

• XR God
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 08:54:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikes875 [+]
I have a set of M9RR just about to go on to replace Road 5's too. If they are anything like the M7RR then they will fantastic, very confidence inspiring. Only went back to the Road 5 as found that if you do long trips it can be a pain having to replace more often en-route etc. I got 4.5k km out of the M7 v 7.5k out of the R5 on roads around Sydney area

Just fitted the new M9RR's over the weekend  :001:....am yet to ride the bike as I'm doing the 30k service at the same time.....taking my time and waiting for a couple of new parts to arrive, should be good to go sometime during the next week or so.. Will indeed be interesting to see how they perform.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 12:09:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
I'm doing the 30k service at the same time

you doing the forks as well?? be interesting if you notice anything with your fork oil. I did my R service and the fork oil was pretty clean(to me).

Online smithy

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 01:00:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
you doing the forks as well?? be interesting if you notice anything with your fork oil. I did my R service and the fork oil was pretty clean(to me).

Yes, I did the fork oil....old oil looks ok-ish but obviously not perfectly clean but not horribly dirty either...I suspect it probably could have gone another 10k km but it's all done now so all good. Brake fluid and coolant was perfectly fine too but flushed them anyway as it's part of the service, I changed out the water pump with a second hand one from an RR as mine was dribbling a bit with obvious evidence....no evidence that the RR one had been leaking so hopefully it will be ok. :027:

But I digress...this is a tyre thread...my bad :034:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:04:58 AM by smithy »

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 03:48:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]

I could feel a difference having the fork oil changed at the 18K services. At the 54K I would seriously consider replacing the bearings in the fork tubes and since your in there already go ahead and do the fork seals. My bearings at 52K were shown significant wear. but not worn out completely yet.

Online smithy

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 08:30:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by wascallyrabbit [+]
I could feel a difference having the fork oil changed at the 18K services. At the 54K I would seriously consider replacing the bearings in the fork tubes and since your in there already go ahead and do the fork seals. My bearings at 52K were shown significant wear. but not worn out completely yet.

Yeah...I guess nothing lasts forever.....just normal wear and tear I suspect. My forks still feel good with no lateral movement. Nowhere near 54k miles though...Just 30,450k km, so just shy of 19k miles.

Smithy.