Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from Surrey GS switch to XR  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Rhincodon

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR SE
  • Town: Godalming
Hello from Surrey GS switch to XR
« on: January 31, 2016, 08:36:49 PM »
I have commuted 80 miles a day round trip into London on various BMW models over the last 20 years. R100RT, K1200GT, K1200S,R1200GSA TE (which i bought last May) - have just swapped it for S1000XR SE - GS was too big and cumbersome for weaving about in town and through Guildford traffic on way home - also felt under powered - so have moved to XR
I am looking to change Screen probably and bar ends to stop vibration - any experiences very welcome. I really like Akrapovic exhaust too - but lots of dough.
I was thinking of Rad and Oil cooler cover from the start - any thoughts??
Also will really miss the two spot led lights on my GS which really get you seen (If a bike that looks like Optimus Prime transforming isn't enough) - anyone tried after market LED spots? My new bike has engine bars.,
Oh and yes I got destroyed on selling a 8 month old GSA with 9k on the clock with every conceivable extra including luggage - but BMW make the experience feel so pleasant - a bit like shopping at Waitrose!

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
Re: Hello from Surrey GS switch to XR
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »
Welcome.  Certainly lots of power so you wont be disappointed on your commute.  Love the comment about being fleeced by BMW, but in such a nice manner.  I know what you mean lol.

My 2p worth:
Screen - MRA Vario
Exhaust - not much out there at the moment apart from the Akra - I have ordered a MIVV slip on which should be delivered this week and I'll put some piccies up when fitted.
Rad and Oli Coolers - mine are from the bike racer from eBay - not as pretty as some of the others (R+G, Evotech etc) but cheaper.

Had a relative visit for lunch today who lives just down the road from you in Cranleigh - nice area to be !

Enjoy.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline ktm2782

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: preston
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 10:42:55 PM »
i opted for evotech guards

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,408.msg2662/topicseen.html#new

£100, nice quality and only 15 mins to fit... they are clip on and use OE screws  in bottom of rad to secure...

interestingly, my stealers said that they void warranty, but bahnstormer are offering them fitted as an incentive to prize open your wallet

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »
Welcome to the madhouse. I'm just up the road from you in Camberley. Did you use Vines, by any chance?

Re the exhaust, I've got the Akra full system, and it's worth every penny!
Screen is the dark tint from BMW.
Rad guards are Evotech - these are the best on the market, IMO.

Offline Rhincodon

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR SE
  • Town: Godalming
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
Thx guys - that is all good advice - Yes I went to Vines - really nice people - I have bought a ll BMW's from  them except the GS which  i bought from Park Lane because they were the only ones who could get one at the time.
bagwafu - Cranleigh is just down the road - it is nice down here - we moved down in 1992 - basically wife and I from Oxshott/Cobham and when we were young just jumped on bike and rode far enough down the A3 away from the unaffordable until we could afford  something

KTM 2782 thx for that advice - yes they look very good
Richs1000XR - would love a full Akro system - need to recover from hit on selling GS first- and of course continue to hide such fact from wife

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:28:54 PM »
And on this forum a thread about spot lights: https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,404.msg2650.html#msg2650

:002:

S1000XR SE Sport