Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can you turn the service light off??  (Read 2620 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Can you turn the service light off??
« on: March 31, 2020, 03:30:25 PM »
I had arranged to have my bike serviced last week on the day after the lockdown was announced in the UK and the BMW dealership advised they would be closed for the foreseeable future. I had arranged the service a month earlier!
I needed to go out today to obtain some 'essential supplies' and decided to take my bike, rather than the car, however the master warning light is now on + Service is now displayed, because the service is now overdue.
Looked in the handbook but no instructions on how you disable these warnings - is it possible to do so?? :305:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 03:32:41 PM by PaulS1000XR »
PSH

Online Watshot

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
Re: Can you turn the service light off??
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 03:50:45 PM »
You need a Motoscan or GS911 thingy to reset the service light etc.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Watshot [+]
You need a Motoscan or GS911 thingy to reset the service light etc.

Thanks. Cant be bothered to buy that, just hoped that like my car you could press a reset button and it goes away until the next time you start the bike  :305:
PSH

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 11:13:55 PM »
Unfortunately not, Paul... but you could always ask if anyone in your area has a GS911 and maybe by contributing a few $, you could have the service indicator reset to a date/mileage a few weeks/months down the road, until such a time that your dealer is able to service your bike?
On the other hand, if you service your XR yourself, it might well be worth the investment  :084:
I was in a similar conundrum a short while ago and decided to purchase a GS911... main reason been, wasn't willing to throw free money at BMW service centre for basic servicing ie. oil & filter change, air filter replacement and the like.
I have to add that I'll keep all the receipts of parts purchased and log the date and mileage I did perform my own maintenance. For anything "more involved" such as valve clearance, I'll be getting that done by BMW and bite the proverbial bullet.
Marks BMW S1000XR service manual has been very handy to have and has made many servicing tasks that much easier  :028: and has saved me a lot of Aussie shekels not to mention it gave me more confidence in undertaking some of those maintenance tasks.
With all this corona virus malarkey and self isolation, I might even try to have a go at other ones  :082:
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 11:17:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Thanks. Cant be bothered to buy that, just hoped that like my car you could press a reset button and it goes away until the next time you start the bike  :305:

This is BMW's way of making you go to them to service your bike, most people take their bike to the dealer for servicing, but some of us like to do our own servicing and have the toys to reset the light....the light will stay there until it's physically turned off and the next service values are reset.

As Watshot and Serge said, you need the Motoscan app, an OBD-Link MX or LX...or a GS-911, I'm lucky enough to have both :046: Otherwise you cannot do it until you take it to a dealer.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:21:52 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline brickit

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Exeter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 11:58:47 PM »
This is just another example of companies using technology to maintain control of an income stream from their product beyond the point of sale. Music isn't sold any more its rented on Spotify, your personal data isn't stored by you its on the cloud, so your bike isn't yours to maintain as you please, it is kept under license by BMW.
If we all roll over and accept these things, we deserve what we get. If I had realized this was the case with the XR, I'm not sure I would have bought one!  :173:

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 12:51:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by brickit [+]
If we all roll over and accept these things, we deserve what we get. If I had realized this was the case with the XR, I'm not sure I would have bought one!  :173:

Just get yourself a GS-911 and do all your own servicing if you choose. If you prefer to be bent over every time your bike just needs a glorified oil & filter change.....take it to your dealer.

My bike has only had the very first 1000km "running-in" service done by my dealer, it has never been back there since....and I've not had any major issues.

Lord Knobrot
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
  • Town: SCUNTHORPE
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
I had arranged to have my bike serviced last week on the day after the lockdown was announced in the UK and the BMW dealership advised they would be closed for the foreseeable future. I had arranged the service a month earlier!
I needed to go out today to obtain some 'essential supplies' and decided to take my bike, rather than the car, however the master warning light is now on + Service is now displayed, because the service is now overdue.
Looked in the handbook but no instructions on how you disable these warnings - is it possible to do so?? :305:
We have the facilities and equipment to reset your service reminder. As has already been said, there is no reset button, the reminder has to be reset using the GS911 diagnostic tool, which most people won't choose to own due to the cost of it, but we have our own workshop and carry out a lot of service work on many BMW bikes.

Once the lock down is lifted, bookings will be available as normal for any and all service work including GS911 diagnostics :305:
Best regards,
Mike - Senior administrator, Cymarc Bike Parts
email - mick@cymarc.co.uk
Phone +44 7715 681911 Mon-Thurs 7-4, and Fri 7-1

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 05:30:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by cymarcbikeparts [+]
We have the facilities and equipment to reset your service reminder. As has already been said, there is no reset button, the reminder has to be reset using the GS911 diagnostic tool, which most people won't choose to own due to the cost of it, but we have our own workshop and carry out a lot of service work on many BMW bikes.

Once the lock down is lifted, bookings will be available as normal for any and all service work including GS911 diagnostics :305:

Thanks for the advice - guess I will just have to put up with it until my local BMW dealer reopens - whenever that is  :305:  BMW should change the system - that bright  :006:yellow light is a nuisance at night.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:31:50 PM by PaulS1000XR »
PSH

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »
agreed that thing is a nuisance. I had it coming up before a holiday. Should have the possibility to reset it by two weeks or 2000mls