Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Roadlok  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Bobbingbuoy

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Roadlok
on: April 05, 2020, 03:20:24 PM
Hi all , I’ve just purchased a roadlok , has anybody fitted one of these to their bike ? Any tips or do’s/dont’s before I attempt to fit it ? Thanks

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Roadlok
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:01:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Bobbingbuoy [+]
Hi all , I’ve just purchased a roadlok , has anybody fitted one of these to their bike ? Any tips or do’s/dont’s before I attempt to fit it ? Thanks

:033: :027:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 06:49:34 AM
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:27:28 AM
It's pretty straight forward. Just make sure you get the "BMW Bolts" (slightly longer than normal) when purchased.
 If I remember correctly I used the longest spacer (they come with several different sizes) but it's just a case of trail and error to get the right one (if wrong the pin will not go into the disc holes)

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 07:14:36 PM
Is it me or can you just lift that lock off by undoing the caliper bolts?  I see no locking mechanism on the inside of the disc. And the locking pin is 6mm dia max? Doesn't look to be all that much of a lock. I don't like the (visual) clearance to rim either.
Concept is great though. If OE manufacturers would have believed in it, they would have purchased the rights. Much easier, cheaper, lighter and better to incorporate this in the caliper mount itself

Offline Bobbingbuoy

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:25:02 PM
It goes through a hole in the disc, taking the bolts out wouldn’t fix anything as it would still be locked to the disc ?

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 12:21:01 AM
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
Is it me or can you just lift that lock off by undoing the caliper bolts?  I see no locking mechanism on the inside of the disc. And the locking pin is 6mm dia max? Doesn't look to be all that much of a lock. I don't like the (visual) clearance to rim either.
Concept is great though. If OE manufacturers would have believed in it, they would have purchased the rights. Much easier, cheaper, lighter and better to incorporate this in the caliper mount itself

As stated above, you could remove the caliper bolts but the pin is still through a disc hole so would then become like a normal disc lock only letting wheel rotate until it hits the fork leg.
Yes it's expensive for a disc lock but originally it was an approved lock (can't remember which one - sold secure, thatcham etc.) but I read the manufacturers have to have them retested / approved every so often costing money each time.
There is plenty of space between the lock body and wheel rim and it saves carrying a disc lock in your pocket / under seat etc. as it's always there. You just carry the removable pin. Easy
It is also impossible to forget it's on and start to ride off as the pin will lock the wheel within a couple inches if not through already, which means your feet haven't left the floor unlike normal disc locks where you start to go, lifting your feet then half a rotation later the wheel locks and down you go.
Like all disc locks it is only a deterrent but I rate them highly as probably the best design disc lock out there

Offline Goferbikes

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Peterborough
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 11:28:18 AM
Fitted one of these about this time last year. My mate in The Ducati Owners Club got a decent discount. Easy fit, just follow the instructions using the longer BMW bolts supplied. I've been pleased with it, tucks away nicely and qualified for insurance discount. It is worth cleaning annually to remove the road and brake crud though, or that pin might just stick.

Offline Gnscloz

• XR Junior
Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 08:25:11 PM
Hi mate just picked up set off eBay of Ducati scrambler was it just bolts you needed to change ?

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:37:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Gnscloz [+]
Hi mate just picked up set off eBay of Ducati scrambler was it just bolts you needed to change ?

Yes you just require the BMW specific bolts

If the supplied only has one set of spacers, just make sure they are right too as a new Roadlok comes with several sizes

dysfunctional