Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HP High Seat & Screen Choice.  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Peds

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR SE
HP High Seat & Screen Choice.
« on: April 12, 2020, 02:45:11 PM »
I know this has been discussed in the past, so I apologise for starting this new thread, however, my thought is more of you guys are on here & you have owned these amazing bikes for longer, so please, please help me with my decisions.
I’m struggling to handover approx £400 for the HP High Seat, over the stock OEM Seat that’s fitted to my bike, without user feedback. I know the obvious aesthetic difference, but, what I really want to know is does it improve comfort levels over stock?
And my other question...
My OEM screen is scratched & Im going to replace it, I’m 6’2” with 34” inside legs and my OEM screen offers very little wind protection in its lower position, it’s akin to riding a naked bike & on it’s upper position I suffer serious helmet buffeting, for any of you who are around my size, what screen have you found works best, as there’s a plethora of choices out there & I can’t afford to buy multiple screens to find the one, so I really need your help to ensure I make best & sensible choices please...

Offline gusthemus

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
Re: HP High Seat & Screen Choice.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 04:25:20 PM »
I can't comment on the seat as I'm in the same position there.

With the screen though, I recently changed from the stock to the MRA Vario and wasn't 100% happy, even with it in the high position. I've now fitted the Puig Touring screen with visor and although I haven't had much chance to test it yet, it seems better in the lower position than the MRA was in the high position. Here's a couple of comparison shots I took showing the difference. Top one is the original in front of the Puig and then the side by side of the MRA in the high position and Puig in teh low position.

Offline advr6

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »
I have both the HP high seat and the MRA vario screen and found both to be an improvement over stock. The longest tour I have done with the seat was about 3000 miles with 300-400 mile days.  There may be better seats and screens out there but these work pretty well.  I had a Corbin seat for a brief time and while it was better for straight up riding I did not like it for twisties or under hard braking as I slid forward with synthetic riding pants.

For reference I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam.

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 05:14:08 PM »
The HP high seat is a vast improvement over the stock one.  I'm only 5'11" but went for the high seat to help eliminate my slide toward the tank.  It helped quite a bit.  Also, I bought the $15 seat grommets off ebay to further raise the front of the seat and magically the slide to the tank is now gone!!

Here's a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rider-seat-lowering-kit-for-BMW-S1000XR-K1600GT-R1200RT-LC-R1200GS-LC-R1250GS-RT/264429404751?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm no longer flat footed on the bike, but fairly close and, for me, it was a trade off I'd make again and again.  Riding in discomfort sucks!

Also, get your seat from Motorrad Bohling if you can.  I think I paid US$345 and had it delivered as part of a larger purchase I made with a friend so shipping wasn't too bad.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:16:12 PM by Speedy »
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline Saint

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Reston
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 06:03:36 PM »
I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and John Longo built our custom two-up seat.

JohnLongo.net

I ride with the stock windshield in the low position on the local roads and the high postion on the highways.

If I want wind protection I ride my cruiser, a 2004 NRX1800 DA Rune with the full windshield.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:52:38 PM by Saint »
Saint

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 06:25:12 PM »
I’m 6ft,demo’d a bike September 15 thought the stock seat was rubbish,so much so didn’t even want it on the bike on delivery and part of the deal(which is great fun too tell but not on these pages) was it came with the high HP seat,currently I run the Wunderlich option which is even taller.

Re what screen their are so many variables,how tall you are,what helmet you have,which do you ride most of the time,one up/two up ?all those make a tremendous difference,you just have to hunt around to find the ideal Combo and don’t spend too much money to find it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 06:25:51 PM by Winger »

Offline Peds

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by gusthemus [+]
I can't comment on the seat as I'm in the same position there.

With the screen though, I recently changed from the stock to the MRA Vario and wasn't 100% happy, even with it in the high position. I've now fitted the Puig Touring screen with visor and although I haven't had much chance to test it yet, it seems better in the lower position than the MRA was in the high position. Here's a couple of comparison shots I took showing the difference. Top one is the original in front of the Puig and then the side by side of the MRA in the high position and Puig in teh low position.

You superstar, excellent photos & advice, thanks for taking the time.

Offline Peds

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 07:52:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
The HP high seat is a vast improvement over the stock one.  I'm only 5'11" but went for the high seat to help eliminate my slide toward the tank.  It helped quite a bit.  Also, I bought the $15 seat grommets off ebay to further raise the front of the seat and magically the slide to the tank is now gone!!

Here's a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rider-seat-lowering-kit-for-BMW-S1000XR-K1600GT-R1200RT-LC-R1200GS-LC-R1250GS-RT/264429404751?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm no longer flat footed on the bike, but fairly close and, for me, it was a trade off I'd make again and again.  Riding in discomfort sucks!

Also, get your seat from Motorrad Bohling if you can.  I think I paid US$345 and had it delivered as part of a larger purchase I made with a friend so shipping wasn't too bad.

I’ve ordered the High HP Sports Seat from the supplier you advised above, thank you. Their delivery to me is 6-7 days, thank you.

Offline Peds

• XR Junior
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 08:21:37 PM »
Thanks to you all for the rapid & excellent feedback, I really appreciate it.
One thing that was clear was I had to buy the Tall HP Sports Seat, aesthetically it’ll enhance my bike, but to hear how much an improvement over OEM it is made it a no brained, Ive now ordered from same supplier Speedy advised me on, thank you!
I’ll also take a closer look at the Puig screen, Gusthemus, your photo comparison was really helpful, so good to see them side by side this way. The Puig seems more of a touring screen, whereas I ride solo on this bike & in the mountains 90% of the time, I live in southern Mediterranean so road surfaces are mainly  near perfect, weathers hot & dry 320 days of the year, my local mountain routes means I enjoy lots of twisties. Very rarely I ride the autopista (freeway/motorway) & it’s those times I find the standard height OEM screen offers no protection, also when on faster straights over the mountains & here’s the rub, I like the sport look of the OEM size screen, so I need to weigh up aesthetics with the occasional sore neck, if anyone can shed any extra advice on screens Im all ears, if not once again thanks for all the rapid & extremely helpful replies guys.

Good luck to you all during the Coronavirus crisis, we’re in full lockdown, have been since 14 March & will be until at least 26 April, the government are already talking about another extension to 10 May, so the only riding I’m enjoying currently is to my local supermarket, not so much fun, but it’s riding & it’ll pass & it’ll make our biking days more special, if that’s possible, stay safe & good luck to you & your families.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:48:46 PM by Peds »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »
If you do a search there’s loads on here about folks preferences,I’ve always found what works for me doesn’t for my wife on the back,from a personal point of view I didn’t buy an X/R to hide behind a bloody piece of plastic but that is just my preference,I went stock screen/PB sport screen which I felt was too low but i’ll Fit it for southern euro climes,but settled for the Puig Sport screen,but if you read the posts their are just about every combo you can think off,the problem being so many do not give anymore info,helmet? Twoup?

dysfunctional