Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HP High Seat & Screen Choice.  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Peds

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR SE
Re: HP High Seat & Screen Choice.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 09:15:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
If you do a search there’s loads on here about folks preferences,I’ve always found what works for me doesn’t for my wife on the back,from a personal point of view I didn’t buy an X/R to hide behind a bloody piece of plastic but that is just my preference,I went stock screen/PB sport screen which I felt was too low but i’ll Fit it for southern euro climes,but settled for the Puig Sport screen,but if you read the posts their are just about every combo you can think off,the problem being so many do not give anymore info,helmet? Twoup?

I hear you, I know there’s a plethora of posts out there on screens alone, it’s highly confusing & is the reason most will doubtlessly end up buying the wrong screen, that’s what I’m trying my best to avoid. I said above I love the look of the bike with the OEM screen, I ride in mountains, so I definitely don’t want to look through any screen, the more & more I think about this Puig Sports screen or a similar sized screen to OEM sounds like it may suit me best, our summers are very hot & I  certainly don’t want to be behind tall screens for those days. Also, my wife never comes out with me on this bike, as I have a Harley CVO Limited cruiser that she enjoys far more on those days, fortunately for me this means my S1000XR is purely a superbike to enjoy solo in the mountain twisties, ain’t life a bitch 🤣
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:23:22 PM by Peds »

Offline MrFreeze

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: Amsterdam
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 12:45:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
The HP high seat is a vast improvement over the stock one.  I'm only 5'11" but went for the high seat to help eliminate my slide toward the tank.  It helped quite a bit.  Also, I bought the $15 seat grommets off ebay to further raise the front of the seat and magically the slide to the tank is now gone!!

Here's a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rider-seat-lowering-kit-for-BMW-S1000XR-K1600GT-R1200RT-LC-R1200GS-LC-R1250GS-RT/264429404751?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm no longer flat footed on the bike, but fairly close and, for me, it was a trade off I'd make again and again.  Riding in discomfort sucks!

Also, get your seat from Motorrad Bohling if you can.  I think I paid US$345 and had it delivered as part of a larger purchase I made with a friend so shipping wasn't too bad.

Hi Speedy,

I'm experiencing the same slide towards the tank too. So I was looking at the Ebay link, but the ad says it's for lowering the seat? I want to make it higher.... so i'm a little bit confused now.

And thanks for the HP seat shop tip!

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR 3B
  • Town: Leuven
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by MrFreeze [+]

Hi Speedy,

I'm experiencing the same slide towards the tank too. So I was looking at the Ebay link, but the ad says it's for lowering the seat? I want to make it higher.... so i'm a little bit confused now.

And thanks for the HP seat shop tip!

Hi MrFreeze,

Just install the adapters with the hole at the bottom, in stead of the hole at the top.
The originals have the hole in the middle  :002:.

All the best,

Remo

Offline MrFreeze

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: Amsterdam
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Remo83 [+]
Hi MrFreeze,

Just install the adapters with the hole at the bottom, in stead of the hole at the top.

All the best,

Remo

Thanks for clarifying that! Placed the order, delivery date.... june 9... :-x

Offline brickit

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Exeter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 04:37:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Remo83 [+]
Hi MrFreeze,

All the best,

Remo

Thanks for clearing that up Remo!
Just to throw a spanner into the works:
 I've found that the low seat is more dished than either the standard or hp seats and find that it is very effective at preventing this truly uncomfortable forward drift.
I'm 6' 1" and am quite happy to trade off a slightly sharper knee bend in order to get the more cupped and comfortable seating position with less arm strain. Also the lower body position means less turbulence for taller riders behind whatever screen you go for.
The low seat with those adapters fitted in the raised position is an interesting idea. I may get some and give that a go.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:38:07 PM by brickit »

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »
Sorry for the late reply....

Yes, Remo is correct.  Just install the grommets "upside down" (aka: with the hole at the bottom) and it raises the seat just as much as they advertise it lowers the seat.  Got about 1000 miles on them now and no issues with them installed this way.

It's a good investment if you need just a bit more front height to your seat.

Good luck!
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline shinobi13

• XR Member
  • Doesn't matter who it hurts as long as it's funny!
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 06:13:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
Sorry for the late reply....

Yes, Remo is correct.  Just install the grommets "upside down" (aka: with the hole at the bottom) and it raises the seat just as much as they advertise it lowers the seat.  Got about 1000 miles on them now and no issues with them installed this way.

It's a good investment if you need just a bit more front height to your seat.

Good luck!
Speedy,

Could you please post a pic of how the front of your seat fits in relationship to the gas tank with new grommets in place?

I am about ready to pull the trigger on these, but would like to see a visual before purchasing...

Thanks!!

Lee

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
Here you go, Lee.

This is the HP high seat with the grommets in their high setting.  Hope this helps.

2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline Bobbingbuoy

• XR Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 08:42:28 PM »
Is there any way to tell if you have the HP high seat or HP standard seat ?

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 08:45:07 PM »
In total you get about 20mm difference between upper and lower limits of the off center grommets....I use them "upside down" to help with the "goolies into the tank" issue..! :164:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional