Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2020 XR  (Read 12289 times)

Offline WildBill

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Urbanna
2020 XR
« on: April 19, 2020, 01:51:20 PM »
2020 S1000XR owners...

Does it still have the 9K rev limiter, until the run in service?

Still the same deal with the plug under the seat to enable the Dynamic Pro system?

Is the taller gears on 4 5 6 that noticeable?

And how is the stock sound?

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: 2020 XR
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by WildBill [+]
2020 S1000XR owners...

Does it still have the 9K rev limiter, until the run in service?

Still the same deal with the plug under the seat to enable the Dynamic Pro system?

Is the taller gears on 4 5 6 that noticeable?

And how is the stock sound?

I think there's only one or two on here who have one....

To answer your questions...

1: Yes.
2: Yes.
3: I understand the 2020 Gen-II is noticeably "quieter" than the Gen-I.

All this is just hearsay on my part though.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline sergey

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Campbell
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 11:35:22 PM »
I test-rode 2020XR a few days ago for about 15-20 miles but was able to tried it on twisties for a little bit.

Quick impressions: more comfortable than 2016 model that I own (more plush ride, less harsh on bumps), better wind protection (it had taller screen).
However I had an impression that even in Dynamic mode it feels less aggressive that previous model, I felt more disconnected from the pavement; also throttle response seems more hesitant than on my bike, like 2020 Dynamic mode felt similar to 2016 Road. Seat also seems to limit your movements on a bike more than previous model. Also in Dynamic mode there were NO bangs and backfires from the engine when you close the throttle, that you get in previous generation.
It was a brand new bike, never ridden before me so it might get better especially after break in.
One unusual thing that I noticed: because of better wind protection in legs area I felt some engine heat even on a freeway going ~80mph (It was quite hot day, ~27C and I was wearing riding jeans).

So far I prefer slightly less comfortable and more aggressive previous generation. Would love to test ride 2020 model again after break-in period is over and I can try it in Dynamic-Pro mode.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:57:25 AM by sergey »

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »
Interesting....

From what I've read the Gen 1 is often described as a sport bike with a bit of touring thrown in, while the new XR is a more equal mix of sport and touring.  This seems to match your description of the test ride as well.

I too prefer the more sporty edge, maybe in a few years I'll want a better mix, but for now my 2018 is perfect for me!

2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2018 BMW R1200RT Carbon Black Metallic - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 05:17:24 PM »
I asked specifcally about Dymamic Pro and was told it's now software. Looked up the performance curves out of the BMW press releases, both with dynamic pro enabled. Unless there's something with my eyesight both have the same power up to 8000rpm. And although BMW hasn't made it easy to compare these, I read:

rpm                2015    2020
9000              105      108 kW
10500            112      119
11000            118      121

Don't think these testers were 100% used to the bike and/or forgot 4th, 5th, and 6th are longer gears...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:19:39 PM by Salem »

Offline smithy

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 03:25:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
I asked specifcally about Dymamic Pro and was told it's now software. Looked up the performance curves out of the BMW press releases, both with dynamic pro enabled. Unless there's something with my eyesight both have the same power up to 8000rpm. And although BMW hasn't made it easy to compare these, I read:

rpm                2015    2020
9000              105      108 kW
10500            112      119
11000            118      121

Don't think these testers were 100% used to the bike and/or forgot 4th, 5th, and 6th are longer gears...

Yeah, can be a little misleading, 2015 and 2016 were Euro-3 and 118kw (160hp) at the crank.....2017 > 2019 are Euro-4 and 121kw (165hp) at the crank.....2020 should be similar to the 2017-2019 power and torque wise at least.

The Dynamic and Dynamic Pro modes are just software changes in the throttle mapping, ABS and DTC levels of intrusion etc...How the 2020 model differs...I don't know :027: I suspect it will be similar but with "improvements"....

Smithy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 03:25:52 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »
It will come with the same crap TUV approved fuel map  :164: so the one thing you can be sure of it can be made better.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 08:45:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Yeah, can be a little misleading, 2015 and 2016 were Euro-3 and 118kw (160hp) at the crank.....2017 > 2019 are Euro-4 and 121kw (165hp) at the crank.....2020 should be similar to the 2017-2019 power and torque wise at least.

The Dynamic and Dynamic Pro modes are just software changes in the throttle mapping, ABS and DTC levels of intrusion etc...How the 2020 model differs...I don't know :027: I suspect it will be similar but with "improvements"....

Smithy.

It could also be the difference specific for the US market. There are many stories from US customers who bought the new 2019 RR model and their complaints about flat spots and the bike being lazy and slow below 9000 rpm's (shiftcam activation threshold). It was later confirmed that, due to different US exhaust emission rules vs EURO 5, BMW did a different mapping for RR's destined for US market (Allegedly, to fulfil the US requirement they limited the throttle response to 60% while the engine is under 7000 rpm's), while on European and Australian versions that was not the case
Perhaps it's the same case with 2020 XR model
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:24:15 PM by esso_sa »

Offline smithy

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 09:23:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
It could also be the difference specific for the US market. There are many stories about US customers who bought the new 2019 RR model and their complaints about flat spots and the bike being lazy and slow below 9000 rpm's (shiftcam activation threshold). It was later confirmed that, due to different US exhaust emission rules vs EURO 5, BMW did different mapping for RR's destined for US market which caused those problems (some people say they limited the throttle response to 60% while under 7000 rpm's in order to fulfil the US requirements), while on European and Australian versions that was not the case
Perhaps it's the same case with 2020 XR model

You could well be right...but l'll reserve my judgement until l actually ride one and have first hand experience....

Smithy.

Offline thesasquatch

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Utah
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 06:53:26 AM »
Hey All ***2020 XR Owner Here ***

Sorry for the delayed response-- I've just had so much going on this week 'n all (tongue in cheek).

I've only ridden an '18 once and a '19 twice (the last time was just before picking up my 2020 so my comparison will be vague and may not be true after being truly familiar with a previous model (No more than 15 minutes of riding each time)..

That said, the new model is definitely "smoother" as far as feel through the seat and bars. A simple, overall description would be that it's just a more composed and "tame" ride and the engine isn't as loud or aggressive feeling... yet the power seems to somehow be a bit greater without all the drama. The higher RPM / higher gears are taller so it's a little better at cruising speed. One thing I noticed about the previous gen was the power came on more like a power band whereas my new gen has a more gradual power curve. This may or may not be your thing as I read a lot of comments on forums suggesting they really enjoy the more raw, aggressive feel. While I would normally agree because I grew up racing motocross and ditched my GSA because of the LACK of power, after spending a few hundred miles on this new bike, I have to say I disagree that this new bike isn't better in every way. Despite it's feeling of being more tame, it doesn't take many miles to appreciate the more well-rounded nature of the bike compared to the old gen. It's definitely more bearable for longer cruises and I quite like having more steady / consistent power available throughout the range.
The seat is completely useless and they may as well have just left the seat off and had me sit on the frame. I'm 6'6 so the seat may just hit me in all the wrong spots but it is nearly unbearable (I've got a Sargent on order -- they've always been perfect fixes for every bike I've had).

The brakes are SO good. I'm not sure how they could ever be made more perfect than these new ones. I AM really antsy to ditch this stock pipe however-- I'm not exactly sure if the old gen has such a monstrosity underneath the bike but this new muffler / CAT system must weigh 30-40lbs. i've never seen an OEM exhaust this huge before. I'm really hoping there's a replacement header and complete system from a reputable exhaust company that gets rid of this thing (I'm sure it has to do with Euro50000 or whatever it is).. Also will do a fuel map of course as soon as I replace the pipe. I think that would really make this great bike even better.

Overall, this is just a much more refined, well-rounded bike. The feel through the bars and steering is much more like a GSA (in all the GOOD ways possible). I know what I'm describing makes it sound boring but I really think that if every one of us who bought an XR for the same reasons I did were honest with himself (or herself), they would really appreciate the new bike. I wanted a really powerful and nimble bike without the sport / bullet bike position so I could do longer, more comfortable rides. I definitely crave a fast, agile bike and this new gen does NOT disappoint. You may just have to really get past the stigma of wanting to say you like your old bike better and I think the majority would be as pleased as I am.

** One thing to note.. since there are NO parts yet available for the new gen, I took my chances and ordered '19 parts (taller windshield, lowered peg brackets, kickstand foot enlarger, etc) and NONE of them fit. Every single part on the bike is redesigned. I had heard that only engine work and the fork / steering head had been reworked to tame the vibration and smooth the motor-- THIS IS NOT TRUE. I've been cursing while packaging all of the parts up to ship them all back. I'm not good with patience but will have to wait to get things fitted how I need to be comfortable...

Hope this little useless review helps although I'm sure it'll just make the majority of you roll your eyes and embrace the Gen1 more.  :024:

Cheers all!

J

dysfunctional