Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2020 XR  (Read 5205 times)

BIKEAMA and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline thesasquatch

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Utah
Re: 2020 XR
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 01:35:06 AM »
...except I think your father would probably say, "...until he chooses to continue to make the same mistake x10.. then, he's simply a fool".  :157:

I ordered 8+ parts just hoping they'd mostly work. ....returning all but the lowering kit for the pegs. Windshield, seat, kickstand larger foot, and a few other trinkets.. all completely foreign. Ha!

Sold my '17 GSA Friday and heading to pick up a '20 GSA tomorrow in Vegas. Already ordered all of the necessary customization parts for it. Sure is a good feeling knowing they'll all fit  :047:

Just went for a ride on the XR and it feels much more rideable with the MV peg lowering kit and Rox bar risers. So I guess I'm at a stalemate with the XR and will just enjoy it how it is and shift focus to the GSA. Getting it setup or a week long trip through Colorado / Arizona next week. (Assuming the group feels it's actually safe enough to stay in hotels every night. Still seems little foolish to me).

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 02:30:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by thesasquatch [+]
...except I think your father would probably say, "...until he chooses to continue to make the same mistake x10.. then, he's simply a fool".  :157:

Yeah...my old man is nobody's fool.....me on the other hand.. :027:

Sold my '17 GSA Friday and heading to pick up a '20 GSA tomorrow in Vegas. Already ordered all of the necessary customization parts for it. Sure is a good feeling knowing they'll all fit  :047:

Are you sure they'll all fit..??  :164:

Just went for a ride on the XR and it feels much more rideable with the MV peg lowering kit and Rox bar risers. So I guess I'm at a stalemate with the XR and will just enjoy it how it is and shift focus to the GSA. Getting it setup or a week long trip through Colorado / Arizona next week. (Assuming the group feels it's actually safe enough to stay in hotels every night. Still seems little foolish to me).

Would be good to do a week long trip, I've not done one for ~two years

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 06:41:35 AM »
I road tested the 2020 XR today.  I have a 2019 with 4,000 miles on it.

What I like least about my 2019 is the clutch - they have totally fixed that on the 2020.  The lever is adjustable now, like the brake lever, and the action is smooth and softer than my 2019.  Big improvement.

I found the engine vibrations to be a little worse than my 2019.  I have bar end weights and grip puppies, and it is fully broken in.  But my biggest surprise was that the 2020 had noticeably more vibrations at the seat.  Not the bars, but the seat.  Not a deal breaker, but a step backwards.

The seat is a deal breaker for me.  My '19 is an HP and I have a Sargent seat which I like a lot.  I believe the 2020 seat is like the Gen 1 seat standard (not HP).  My Sargent seat is level and has more fore/aft room for my butt to move so when I seat on my bike, I am not locked in one position by the seat. The 2020 locks you in place and there is no room to move.

Transmission and finding neutral - no improvement, it feels and acts just like my '19.

Wind protection - a little better than on my 2019.  The 2020 had the tall screen, but the bodywork seems to block more air.

Handlebars - I like the 2020 better, they are 1.5" narrower and I am guessing about 1/2" lower.   I like that better.  If I keep my 2019, I probably would spend the money to put the 2020 bars on mine.

TFT display and other electronics - I like the 2020 much better.  It has many additional vehicle information than the 2019, like: TPMS, MPG 1 & 2, MPH 1& 2, instant MPG, ambient air, lean angle, smart phone connectivity, etc, etc.  I like all that stuff.

The salesman told me all the first wave of bikes in the US are equipped identically, each dealer gets one red and one gray.  The price was $21.4K for the red.

I didn't ride it enough to say much about a performance comparison.  The engine power felt the same.  I just can't add any comments about the suspension and handling.

Offline WildBill

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Urbanna
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »
Have to add my .02cts.
Clutch, no more notchyness, and it is adjustable.
Vibrations, to me are non existent.
Seat, yes it is a bit firm, but was OK for me on a couple 200 mile rides..
Trans, never had a problem finding neutral on this or my 18.
Wind protection is a little better.
Bars are narrower, and I like that.
TFT is terrific, I call it my entertainment center, there is a lot there.
Wish it had a full time visible engine temp and oil pressure gauge.
The bike has a lot smoother ride in road mode.
Still has gobs of power in the dynamic  pro mode... (selective via the TFT, not a plug)

Go test ride one if you can..

Online BIKEAMA

• XR Member
  • Bike: Multistrada S
  • Town: Stockton CA
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 05:26:20 PM »
I just got a 2020 XR low suspension. Only  400 miles so far with the restrictions. I have put replies to some of your comments in RED below.  Also a couple of pictures from a ride yesterday.

*Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
I road tested the 2020 XR today.  I have a 2019 with 4,000 miles on it.

What I like least about my 2019 is the clutch - they have totally fixed that on the 2020.  The lever is adjustable now, like the brake lever, and the action is smooth and softer than my 2019.  Big improvement.  Yes I adjusted mine the first day.

I found the engine vibrations to be a little worse than my 2019.  I have bar end weights and grip puppies, and it is fully broken in.  But my biggest surprise was that the 2020 had noticeably more vibrations at the seat.  Not the bars, but the seat.  Not a deal breaker, but a step backwards.  In 2016 rode the XR and the MTS. Bought the MTS because of the vibration. The 2020 is much better than the 2016 I rode.

The seat is a deal breaker for me.  My '19 is an HP and I have a Sargent seat which I like a lot.  I believe the 2020 seat is like the Gen 1 seat standard (not HP).  My Sargent seat is level and has more fore/aft room for my butt to move so when I seat on my bike, I am not locked in one position by the seat. The 2020 locks you in place and there is no room to move.  Yes on the seat, I will be changing. Sargent has not made one for the 2020. I will call Corbin next week.

Transmission and finding neutral - no improvement, it feels and acts just like my '19. My MTS was very easy to find neutral. Not so with the 2020 XR. I have found it is easier to go from 2nd to N than from 1st to N. I am sure I will get used to it and it may break-in.

Wind protection - a little better than on my 2019.  The 2020 had the tall screen, but the bodywork seems to block more air.  May change the screen, looking.

Handlebars - I like the 2020 better, they are 1.5" narrower and I am guessing about 1/2" lower.   I like that better.  If I keep my 2019, I probably would spend the money to put the 2020 bars on mine. Bars are Ok for me.

TFT display and other electronics - I like the 2020 much better.  It has many additional vehicle information than the 2019, like: TPMS, MPG 1 & 2, MPH 1& 2, instant MPG, ambient air, lean angle, smart phone connectivity, etc, etc.  I like all that stuff.  Great dash, but I have to read the manual to set the trip meter.

The salesman told me all the first wave of bikes in the US are equipped identically, each dealer gets one red and one gray.  The price was $21.4K for the red.  I had to look for a low suspension model. The local dealer was no help, partly shut down. San Jose BMW was great, they found a low model and got it for me. Got a fair price. The service manager told me that many dealers are not taking the bikes they ordered and SJ BMW's sales manager is picking them up. That is how she was able to get me a low model.  Note I was also told that only 8 made their way to CA before the shutdown.

I didn't ride it enough to say much about a performance comparison.  The engine power felt the same.  I just can't add any comments about the suspension and handling.

Offline S1KXR-rider

• XR Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1KXR-Black!
  • Town: Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »
I only bought my TB XR in May last year and I'm more or less done with adding aftermarket accessories to it now.

The new XR looks good (in red) and I've just specced one up on the BMW UK web page but found if you choose the base model & select the red colour it is a no cost option but if you choose the top spec version it is a £325 cost option?

I'll have a test ride once life (and the showrooms) are back to normal to check it out myself but can't see it worth me changing over tbh.

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2020, 06:11:55 PM »
bikeama - re seats:

For my 2019 model:  I bought a Corbin first, absolutely did not work for me.  But most important for you. it was like 1.5" to 2.0" taller than the HP OEM seat.  This will totally negate your choice of a low model.  I sent it back to them and they shaved off about 3/4" but it was still all wrong.  The Sargent, on the other hand, was only about 3/4" taller than the HP OEM and shaped very well for me.

One more thing.  If you get a Corbin and don't like it, all they will do is modify it for you, and you have to pay freight back to them.  Sargent, on the other hand, has a 30 day money back guarantee.  I would go Sargent first.

I don't have an exe to grind, two of the best seats I have ever had were Corbin, that's why I went with them first on my XR.

Online BIKEAMA

• XR Member
  • Bike: Multistrada S
  • Town: Stockton CA
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 07:21:12 PM »
I am very familiar with Corbin and have had them on my ST1100, St1300 and my K1600GT. The red K1600GT on Corbin's website was my bike and they used my two YouTube videos.    I am close enough to do a ride over. On the K1600GT I got a free dual saddle and a Smuggler.

Corbin link here.  https://www.corbin.com/bmw/bmwk16menu.shtml

*Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
bikeama - re seats:

For my 2019 model:  I bought a Corbin first, absolutely did not work for me.  But most important for you. it was like 1.5" to 2.0" taller than the HP OEM seat.  This will totally negate your choice of a low model.  I sent it back to them and they shaved off about 3/4" but it was still all wrong.  The Sargent, on the other hand, was only about 3/4" taller than the HP OEM and shaped very well for me.

One more thing.  If you get a Corbin and don't like it, all they will do is modify it for you, and you have to pay freight back to them.  Sargent, on the other hand, has a 30 day money back guarantee.  I would go Sargent first.

I don't have an exe to grind, two of the best seats I have ever had were Corbin, that's why I went with them first on my XR.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:23:18 PM by BIKEAMA »

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
I currently have an R1200 RS with the Corbin seat and Smuggler.  Great combination.  Ditto on my 2008 FJR 1300 I no longer have.  The Smugglers are expensive but I love them.  The two Corbin seats that were single rider saddle worked great for me.  The two Corbin dual seats I've purchased were total failures.  Go figure.

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2020, 07:38:04 PM »
The new 2020 in the foreground.  My 2019 in the background.

dysfunctional