Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Insurance repair  (Read 3047 times)

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Stafford
Insurance repair
« on: April 19, 2020, 05:54:28 PM »
Bikes currently with accident damage assessment co. Other parties insurance have accepted full responsibility, they now have the assessors repair estimate. What's a normal time period for a decision on repair or write off...any body any experience?

Ian

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Insurance repair
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcconnac [+]
Bikes currently with accident damage assessment co. Other parties insurance have accepted full responsibility, they now have the assessors repair estimate. What's a normal time period for a decision on repair or write off...any body any experience?

Ian

all normal timescales are currently suspended - are you claiming via your insurance or going direct to the 3rd party? If the former your insurer should authorise repairs and deal with recovering their losses separately. That's what you pay the premium for. If you are dealing direct with the 3rd party insurer then you may have to wait for their loss adjuster to agree the repairs. There will inevitably be delays to this process in current circumstances due to remote working and people self isolating. 

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 08:07:27 PM »
I know someone who works in the insurance and repair game particularly with bikes here in the West Mids and be was furloughed good Friday off work,so i’d Not be expecting anything done in a rush,not that it matters as we can’t ride them anyway.

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 10:24:05 PM »
Cheers guys, claims via third party insurers so's waiting on their assessor to agree, I think.  Know its all going to take longer given the present situation, just looking to get confirmation on repair or write off - (hoping its a repair)

Winger, tell me your mates names not Adam ..please..... :038:

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 10:53:09 PM »
No it isn’t  :001: but spoke to him today and no one goes back too work till June 1st.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:54:09 PM by Winger »

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 08:29:25 AM »
First step is for you to get an estimate for the cost of the repairs and then the insurer will decide if its a write off. Most assessors dont vist the bike that often and rely on estimates and photographs. A word of caution - dont agree to use the insurers repair company. I agreed to use a firm called 4th Dimension a few years ago and they were awful and very slow so avoid them. Its your right to get the bike repaired where you want although insurers wont tell you that. With the XR if the frame is damaged its normally a write off. Parts are very expensive. 2 months is normally the minimum time to get a bike repaired in normal circumstances with approvals and ordering parts. Write offs should be quicker. Good luck.  :305:
PSH

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 05:46:00 PM »
 :110:  Got my answer on the bike today.... an envelope through the door containing a cheque, no other correspondence...so guess she's been decreed a write off.   Cheque is for approx 75% of market value for a 2015 Sport SE with 25,000 miles :232:

Any advice on what's a realistic payout from insurance?.  Do insurers have to explain how the figures been derived?

Ian

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcconnac [+]
:110:  Got my answer on the bike today.... an envelope through the door containing a cheque, no other correspondence...so guess she's been decreed a write off.   Cheque is for approx 75% of market value for a 2015 Sport SE with 25,000 miles :232:

Any advice on what's a realistic payout from insurance?.  Do insurers have to explain how the figures been derived?

Ian

Yes, there should be a letter/email with an offer to settle. Have you checked emails including spam folder?

Is the cheque from your insurer or 3rd party? Whatever, if it is not big enough, do not bank it as this might be deemed acceptance of the offer.

When I dealt with a total loss claim from Direct Line the loss adjuster phoned me. He made an offer, I declined and we came to an agreed price. This was confirmed in a letter with a cheque, clearly stating if I banked the cheque I  had accepted the written offer to settle.

It might be that there is a delay getting typed letters out of the system if anything like my employer at the moment, whereas the cheque was sent by a computer. Still a bit naughty to do this without any negotiation.

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 07:33:07 PM »
Hi Wessie,    its from the 3rd Party insurance  (accepted full liability).  Have checked the emails, nothing in spam  (some other weird and not so wonderful stuff in there though  :027:)   Will contact their insurance direct if nothing else arrives, as at least expected to be given option to make an offer for the bike  (although wouldn't due to Cat C).

Thanks

Ian

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »
In more settled times i’d Have gone with what Wessie said,but these ain’t settled and anything is possible,of course a lot depends on their offer,but baring in mind all things with an internal combustion engine are about to take an almighty dump with all the PCP lot on the verge of posting keys through the letter box.

If you reckon they’ve sent you a cheque for 75% of the value looking at prices I’d go £6/500 if your lucky 7k,and that’s before the arse falls out of the market.

Interesting bike on eBay 18 plate with 2000 miles for 11k so that’s 10k before you even start talking with a bank card in your hand.

As for your bike that will be long gone,bike breakers have contracts with insurers.

dysfunctional