Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Insurance repair  (Read 1039 times)

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Stafford
Re: Insurance repair
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »
Finally got to speak to someone at the insurers.  Turns out the bikes still mine as a category N, so I have the cheque and the scrap value of the bike, my decision as to whether then to repair or not!. :152:  Decisions..Decisions

Anybody got a set of front forks and a front wheel?

Ian

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 07:24:35 PM »
if the forks are bent I'd be concerned about the frame. Not sure what it's called in english but it will have put high forces on the font end of it, and the bearings. If the frame is not straight you'll waste money repairing it

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
if the forks are bent I'd be concerned about the frame. Not sure what it's called in english but it will have put high forces on the font end of it, and the bearings. If the frame is not straight you'll waste money repairing it

The bike would be scrapped if the frame is bent. We have strict rules for vehicles subject to insurance claims

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/sell-my-car/frequently-asked-questions/what-is-category-N

What is a Category N vehicle?
Category N — Cat N, for short — is a description used by insurance companies to describe the level of damage to a vehicle they have written off.

A Cat N vehicle has suffered some damage, probably in an accident, but not to its structural frame or chassis. The insurance company that handled the claim decided that repairing the vehicle would have cost more than replacing it.

Insurers often sell Cat N vehicles on for salvage. Many are also safely repaired and returned to the road

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 08:23:56 PM »
Hi  forks did take the worst of it so will need replacing. Like Wessie says its cat N so no frame damage.  Forks, wheel and headlight, rest is plastics .

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 08:27:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcconnac [+]
Hi  forks did take the worst of it so will need replacing. Like Wessie says its cat N so no frame damage.  Forks, wheel and headlight, rest is plastics .

if you are going to repair the bike to ride, get an insurance quote first. You will find the premium rises, partly as you have had a claim and also due to the Cat N factor. You might find it is more economic to strip for spares and start afresh.

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 08:30:06 PM »
I bought mine cat N and repaired it for less than a grand, although it was just subframe, rack plastics, exhaust and hangar and couple other small bits.
If you take your time you could be looking 1500 or so if forks and front wheel plus other bits.
Hope they didn't value it too high
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:59:32 PM by RyanGTXR »

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 08:37:38 PM »
Hi Wessie, bike was valued at just over 8K, they knocked of the estimated of the salvage worth at 2K, so as long as I can repair at a reasonable cost its worth it -  No blame claim on the insured driver so my insurance shouldn't be affected unless they factor in the Cat N

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 08:47:24 PM »
I did look up that N cat before posting. Just saying you don't need a masters degree in engineering to get an idea of what bending moment was put on the front frame when the forks are bent.  I'm curious how they determined the frame is not bent. Hard to measure in the first place, and even harder with bent forks I would think. And then there's tolerances, like it's a bit bent but still within tolerances.
If it would be my bike, I would have doubts, and would like to be ensured
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:47:58 PM by Salem »

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 09:47:29 PM »
Hi Wessie, bike was valued at just over 8K, they knocked of the estimated of the salvage worth at 2K, so as long as I can repair at a reasonable cost its worth it -  No blame claim on the insured driver so my insurance shouldn't be affected unless they factor in the Cat N

So, did you get 6k plus the bike, or 2k and the bike?
If the latter, I'd argue that costing with them if it requires "new" forks and wheel. Get a price from BMW, it'll be more than that, plus the other bits and labour
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:01:09 AM by RyanGTXR »

Offline Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 11:44:30 PM »
No blame claim on the insured driver so my insurance shouldn't be affected unless they factor in the Cat N

Unfortunately insurance is always affected after a claim irrespective of blame. It's the way their stats work. You are now 'statistically' more likely to make further claims having already done so at least once. Not really fair but good luck with it.