Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Flashing error d esa  (Read 1206 times)

Offline FME

• XR Member
Flashing error d esa
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:40:05 PM »
Posted this on FB

OK I know RTFM however I haven't got it on me, out today on heavy accel and heavy breaking warning light flickers and d esa light on dash. Only tiny flickers of it
Got back and try the settings one helmet OK, 2 helmets rock hard suspension.  No lights while rocking it compressing forks or bouncing on seat.
Common problem?

Suggestion is I reset traction control??

Anyone know how to do this or other fixes.

Would run it down to the dealers but they are shut

Oh and before any eeejit moans about me riding it was for work.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Flashing error d esa
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »
If the suspension has reduced travel for some reason then the traction control light could be a symptom as the wheel might skip about a bit on a bump.

When you say rock hard suspension, do you mean just front, just rear or both ends?

Do the forks compress as you would expect if you hold the front brake on and push forward?

Offline FME

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:59:20 PM »
Yes but rear very hard when in pillion setting
Forks compress but stiffer in pillion mode

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 01:23:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by FME [+]
Posted this on FB

OK I know RTFM however I haven't got it on me, out today on heavy accel and heavy breaking warning light flickers and d esa light on dash. Only tiny flickers of it
Got back and try the settings one helmet OK, 2 helmets rock hard suspension.  No lights while rocking it compressing forks or bouncing on seat.
Common problem?

Suggestion is I reset traction control??

Anyone know how to do this or other fixes.

Would run it down to the dealers but they are shut

Oh and before any eeejit moans about me riding it was for work.
I ride to work every day too...so don't feel like you're doing the wrong thing.

D-ESA suspension has nothing to do with ABS or DTC.....if your ABS light is flickering during heavy braking or cornering braking, it's telling you a tyre is possibly skidding a bit and it's working as designed. DTC light will only come on during hard acceleration if the rear tyre is slipping a bit compared to the front, it also acts as an "anti-wheelie" system using the IMU as a reference, you can disable both the ABS and DTC is you so choose. Dynamic and Dynamic Pro will allow wheelies but only to a pre determined height via the IMU unless the DTC is turned off/disabled.

If your D-ESA  light is on, check to see if the little ride height sensor link rod is still attached at both ends, it's on the swingarm.....it lives on the left side just behind the chain guard, at the front end of the swingarm. Mine had popped off when the bike was new....popped it back on and it has been fine since.
If you find it's ok, you may need the ride height sensor re-calibrated....GS-911 can do this. I think Motoscan can also do it but I'm not completely sure :027:.....I need to check that out to make sure.

As I understand it, when selecting "two helmets + luggage" for pillion use, it will increase the rear ride height via the pre-load stepper motor adjustment relative to the swingarm travel and also adjusts the damping to compensate for the extra weight of the pillion.....the front suspension is basically unaffected apart from a damping adjustment, there is no ride height adjustment of the front suspension. You can also change between "Road" and "Dynamic" suspension modes which will also change the damping settings.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:33:21 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline FME

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 06:53:31 AM »
Thanks smithy

I will check that today.

Otherwise I will buy gs911 or motoscan.

Offline smithy

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 08:51:39 AM »
Thanks smithy

I will check that today.

Otherwise I will buy gs911 or motoscan.

I'm lucky enough to have both..! :028:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline FME

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 08:53:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
I'm lucky enough to have both..! :028:

Smithy.

Could you check the function on motoscan as it will save me a couple of hundred notes if it can calibrate ESA.
I would be most grateful.

Offline smithy

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
Could you check the function on motoscan as it will save me a couple of hundred notes if it can calibrate ESA.
I would be most grateful.

Will do Sir. I'll be back shortly.....watch this space..!

Just checked....unfortunatley Motoscan doesn't have this function yet, it can do the brake bleed via ABS, which it didn't have in previous versions.... not that that helps you though.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:14:28 AM by smithy »

Offline FME

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 09:36:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Will do Sir. I'll be back shortly.....watch this space..!

Just checked....unfortunatley Motoscan doesn't have this function yet, it can do the brake bleed via ABS, which it didn't have in previous versions.... not that that helps you though.

Smithy.

Many thanks

So some steps I have taken.

Tightened battery (although was tight, now very very tight).
Checked ESA by changing modes 2 up etc.  Preload thingy extends and retracts etc. (it may not even be preload I havent a clue really).
battery now getting a full charge.
emailed GS911 supplier and asked for NHS discount :D

Will run it to work this afternoon.

Cheers I appreciate your help.

Offline smithy

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 10:39:46 AM »
You'll be very happy with the GS-911, they're a great bit of kit.

Smithy.