Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Traction Control Light  (Read 1010 times)

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
Traction Control Light
« on: May 07, 2020, 02:28:45 AM »
On the way to work tonight the traction control light came on and stayed on for about 10 miles and then went off when I had to brake to scrub off quite a bit of speed for a tight bend which could well have been a coincidence. It stayed off for the rest of the ride to work but now its niggling away in the back of my mind. Any ideas what it could be? I've only seen the TC light flash from time to when I was on the stock T30's in the wet. I had been riding at a swift pace on what is a very bumpy and twisty road in places.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Traction Control Light
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:17:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
On the way to work tonight the traction control light came on and stayed on for about 10 miles and then went off when I had to brake to scrub off quite a bit of speed for a tight bend which could well have been a coincidence. It stayed off for the rest of the ride to work but now its niggling away in the back of my mind. Any ideas what it could be? I've only seen the TC light flash from time to when I was on the stock T30's in the wet. I had been riding at a swift pace on what is a very bumpy and twisty road in places.

Have a look at the sensors and their wiring, might be dirty or damaged, reluctor rings may have crud on them or be damaged also.....but you'd think it would also throw up and ABS light as well...?? :027:

The TC light should only operate when the brakes are not operating. As I understand it the TC light usually only comes on when the wheel speeds differ under acceleration, such as accelerating out of slow/tight corners, on gravel or in the wet etc...It's also tied into the IMU as an anti-wheelie device.

Do you have a GS-911 or OBD-Link MX/LX..?? Might pay to have the codes read.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:24:58 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 03:45:53 AM »
I don't have any diagnostic tools or access to them either. I could try the local BMW dealer but I'm not on good terms with them and am loathed to give them a single penny ever again.

Offline smithy

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 06:52:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
I don't have any diagnostic tools or access to them either. I could try the local BMW dealer but I'm not on good terms with them and am loathed to give them a single penny ever again.

Yeah understandable.... Most places will bend you over just to plug their diagnostic tools in....this is why I bought my own, pays for itself in just a couple of uses. The GS-911 is really useful for diagnostic and service work, bleeding the brakes/ABS system, resetting the service light etc...Motoscan and the OBD-Link MX/LX is pretty good too but not as good as the GS-911.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:19:07 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
  • S1000XR, 1941 Harley Davidson UL.
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: UK South Coast
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:42:14 AM »
Just out of interest, what riding mode were you in?  If you were in rain mode and riding vigorously in the dry this may have triggered the light.  Happened to me once, thought I was riding on the edge with the TC light coming on at every fast tight corner, lol.
Do I have a retirement plan, hell yes I plan to ride.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 07:47:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by barnsyuk [+]
Just out of interest, what riding mode were you in?  If you were in rain mode and riding vigorously in the dry this may have triggered the light.  Happened to me once, thought I was riding on the edge with the TC light coming on at every fast tight corner, lol.

Dynamic mode, It is always kept in that. the only thing I change is pre load when carrying the Mrs and / or luggage and suspension from dynamic to road when its very bumpy. I have in the past tried rain and road mode and hated them both. I also don't see the point in dynamic pro for the road either as it removes some of the safety net for the 1 time you need it .
I had a good look at the bike today and can't see any loose wires or sensors on either the front or back wheel.

Offline smithy

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 10:21:43 PM »
Just a quick thing to check....battery terminals, they can cause lots of strange gremlins if not tight.

Smithy.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 01:07:49 AM »
Will give them a check after I've done this nightshift. In the car tonight.....

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 03:42:02 PM »
I have hit the ABS\ Traction button before now without realising and then switched off the turned the traction control off, mostly when doing tight turn with the tank bag on, could you have flicked the button in error?   :027:

After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 07:35:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Just a quick thing to check....battery terminals, they can cause lots of strange gremlins if not tight.

Smithy.
[/quote

Battery terminals and wires all ok, the search continues