Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Traction Control Light  (Read 1056 times)

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
Re: Traction Control Light
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 07:37:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
I have hit the ABS\ Traction button before now without realising and then switched off the turned the traction control off, mostly when doing tight turn with the tank bag on, could you have flicked the button in error?   :027:

Definitely not. It had been on for about 10 miles on an empty road that flows very well. Only when I had to brake did the TC light go out. I was only a few miles from work at this point and didn't see it for the rest of the ride or the ride home from work. Warranty runs out in 14 days too......

Online SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 08:00:58 PM »
I am having a similar issue with my '14 R. I am thinking now that I have an issue with the ABS ring being damaged somehow, even though visually it looks and feels fine.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 08:18:08 PM »
The only thing I can think of that may upset the TC system is that the front tyre is only about 15% worn and the rear is about 95% worn and due a new one within the next 100 miles or so. This would result in the rear doing more revolutions than the front to do the same speed if that makes sense. I've never had this happen before though even when I ran the rear well past the legal limit :005: :182: :431:

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 10:30:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
The only thing I can think of that may upset the TC system is that the front tyre is only about 15% worn and the rear is about 95% worn and due a new one within the next 100 miles or so. This would result in the rear doing more revolutions than the front to do the same speed if that makes sense. I've never had this happen before though even when I ran the rear well past the legal limit :005: :182: :431:

If this were the case, it would throw up an ABS fault also. I ran a 200 Michelin RS rear tyre for a while with no issues.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Cheifbeerdrinker

• XR Member
  • Personal text
  • Bike: Shake and Bake
  • Town: Back2backWWChamp
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »
A few pounds, one gs911 later and you would know. Or you can keep pounding your head on the keyboard.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 08:29:30 PM »
Booked into dealers on Wednesday, 9 days before the warranty runs out

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
Bike with the dealers now for them to investigate before the warranty runs out in 9 days time.

Got a F900R as a loan bike. All I can say about that is if the XR900 is based on it I wouldn't want a test ride. It's lumpy, slow, vibrates like a sex toy and is uncomfortable. The QS is only smooth on full throttle and high revs below 5k it's very jerky and the clutch is horrible when setting off and needs feeding in very gently until road speed matches 3k engine speed. Maybe the S1000xr just spoils me.

Dealer just rang up with an update. Lean angle sensor fault code stored but they can't get it to throw code again with a test. Further investigation and a bit of a strip down required.

Anyone know where about on the bike the sensor is?

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 09:22:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
Bike with the dealers now for them to investigate before the warranty runs out in 9 days time.

Dealer just rang up with an update. Lean angle sensor fault code stored but they can't get it to throw code again with a test. Further investigation and a bit of a strip down required.

Anyone know where about on the bike the sensor is?

Has the bike ever been on it's side, fallen over etc..? This might account for the sensor fault code. The GS-911 might tell you if it's a "current code" or just a saved code and no longer current..

The lean angle sensor (IMU) is under the rear fuel tank mount, it's in under the front side of the mount, you'll need to remove or prop the tank up and stick your head in to see it, check for poorly wiring/connection or water ingress etc...

Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:22:45 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 10:11:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Has the bike ever been on it's side, fallen over etc..? This might account for the sensor fault code. The GS-911 might tell you if it's a "current code" or just a saved code and no longer current..

The lean angle sensor (IMU) is under the rear fuel tank mount, it's in under the front side of the mount, you'll need to remove or prop the tank up and stick your head in to see it, check for poorly wiring/connection or water ingress etc...

Smithy.

Dealer just said its a recent fault log, hopefully they will know more tomorrow. I did "drop" the bike in my first week of ownership, Stopped at a horrible gravely junction and my foot kept sliding, the bike didn't hit the floor but was about 2" off the floor. I managed to take the weight of the bike on one leg and lower it to the ground but badly tore my hamstring in the process. The pain and time it took to heal probably wasn't worth being a hero for but I didn't want to damage a brand new bike with less than 200 miles on it.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 03:22:28 PM »
New lean angle sensor ordered by the dealer, should be able to collect bike tomorrow afternoon.