Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: bluetooth intercom,advise and clarity needed  (Read 503 times)

Offline gtbusa

• XR Member
  • Town: alfreton
bluetooth intercom,advise and clarity needed
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:42:05 PM »
hi all,after years of using wired autocom for rider to passenger(not bike to bike),i am looking towards bluetooth and a cardo freecom 1.what i want is the instant communication i have enjoyed with the autocom.is this possible with the cardo or do you have to activate the units every time you want to speak.any advice or recommendations welcome.cheers alan

Offline Anchorman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Wakefield
Re: bluetooth intercom,advise and clarity needed
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 05:08:17 PM »
I have used several Cardo models and as far as I am aware, like all other units, the voice activates the unit (VOX) and the sensitivity is adjustable. Usually, the opening word is lost but then it is activated until you stop talking. The best price that I can get from my UK supplier is £95 for the Freedom 1 and £116 for the Freedom 1 Plus. These prices include the unit, VAT and postage direct to the customer with UK  warranty.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 05:53:39 PM »
Sena works well with BMW Nav  :305:
PSH

Offline gtbusa

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »
hi,thanks for the replies,just what i wanted to know,i had read somewhere that you had to press to talk on the intercom or say hey cardo,or cough to activate the speech ala the old push to talk systems.i chose the carda because i have been caught in some serious monsoon weather in the alps and the cardo is said to be waterproof.just to add the freecom 2 plus looks the better choice as it comes with wired microphones as well as the booms,the freecom 1 just has the boom microphones
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:21:00 PM by gtbusa »

Offline jay4967

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »
I got the freecom 2 plus last year used it on an 6k alps trip with torrential rain and also use it up here in northern scotland no issues. Did a lot of homework looking at the sena one as well but what pushed me towards the freecom 2 as this was with the higher waterproof and hasn't let me down at all. Its pretty good and works well

Offline Shawry

• XR Member
  • Town: Mkt Harborough
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 08:51:40 PM »
Hi GtBusa.

I have just swapped from a hard wired autocom pro7 sport that i have connected to at least 4 bikes in the last 10 years and found it to be fantastic, i also used the b/tooth dongle and connected phone, ipod and sat nav and all work brilliantly. Probably the last bike a 1200 explorer it didnt work quite so smoothly, the blue tooth sometimes took a while to connect to the zumo and iphone and sometimes i would need to switch off whilst riding and switch it back on - once connected the sound was great.
This year I bought a freecom 2+ and use that on my XR and i have to say i was pleasantly suprised with the sound quality, as good if not better than the autocom. I have now connected the freecom to my Nav6 and iphone and get music, calls and directions very clearly and all controlled from the handle bar wheel - I would say go for it.
if you have any specific concerns give me a shout :)

Offline gtbusa

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 09:08:44 PM »
hi shawry,my main concern is the vox,as i only want to use as an intercom, and as you say i am used to years of excellence and instant talk from the autocom.i will hold my hands up and confess i bought a sena unit years ago from the usa before they were available here and ditched after the first ride out,so i am slightly mentally scarred from that experience

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 09:01:24 AM »
Cardo can work on voice activated, or button to open the channel.   It will also work on ‘open mic’ , and if on that - should still last all day on the internal battery.

Offline gtbusa

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 09:25:58 AM »
hi Mareng1,thanks for the reply,open mic sounds like what i am looking for,would this be set up on the app?

Offline gtbusa

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »
hi,i have just downloaded the operating manual for the cardo,unless i am missing something it doesn't mention open mike,just says the unit will auto cut off after 30 secs.how would you set to open mic