Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Repair of Paint Chip on Wheel  (Read 232 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Repair of Paint Chip on Wheel
« on: May 18, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »
Had a puncture a week ago and took my bike to get a new tyre fitted. Was cleaning my rear wheel today and noticed that it had acquired a small chip - about 2mm diameter x 1mm deep. How can you fix that?? Talked to the tyre company, but they dont do repairs.  :305:
PSH

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Repair of Paint Chip on Wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 08:51:09 PM »
I found paint is quite soft, as are the rims. I change my own tyres using a proper tyre machine and found the paint was even chipping a little when just the bead of the tyre was running over the rim, no metal to metal contact at all....Plenty of lube is required methinks.... :001:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:49:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
I found paint is quite soft, as are the rims. I change my own tyres using a proper tyre machine and found the paint was even chipping a little when just the bead of the tyre was running over the rim, no metal to metal contact at all....Plenty of lube is required methinks.... :001:

Smithy.

Chip is not on the rim next to the tyre, but on the rib a little closer to the centre of the wheel. Guess I will get to touched up !!  :305: Should be nice after that.
PSH

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr,
  • Town: Newcastle NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 12:41:42 AM »
I had a flake/chip on mine from new (demo). I eventually cleaned it with some alcohol and touched up with black nail polish. Still ok months later 👍

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 01:11:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Garbo [+]
I had a flake/chip on mine from new (demo). I eventually cleaned it with some alcohol and touched up with black nail polish. Still ok months later 👍

What a good idea..!! Can I steal that..?? I have a few little stone chips on my rims as well.

Smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr,
  • Town: Newcastle NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 04:59:04 AM »
 :028: Finally contributed something. You are welcome sir. 🤓