Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: No 2020 XR for me - R1250GS lured me  (Read 1239 times)

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: No 2020 XR for me
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 07:52:31 PM »
I have access to a 1250GS (my wife rides a factory lowered version). Make no mistake, the GS is a great bike. It can scratch in the canyons, do long trips, has all day comfort. All of these traits the XR also has, the only advantage for the GS is that it has 'some' off-road pretenses. Really for me what it comes done to is how your bike to feel, what I really miss when I ride the 1250 is that rush of acceleration when you hit 8000rpm(a few rpm above this on the GS and you start hitting the rev limiter). On the GS I keep feeling like I have run out of revs, and this is probably more a muscle memory thing of gewtting used to the lower rev range on a twin.

Don't think you can go wrong with either, choice really is are in 2 cylinder mode or 4 cylinder mode?

Offline Mcfly

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne FL
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 04:36:08 AM »
My two choices were the GS and the XR when I was in the market.

GS is a great bike, and my undying attraction to inline 4s won me over.

No bad choice imho, only A choice.... which is a personal thing.

Congrats, and enjoy. I'm sure you will.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 07:36:34 AM »
Also decided too go big twin As well as...  :001:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:38:53 AM by Winger »

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 05:56:25 PM »
Well......1050 miles in 2 weeks and 3 days and first service done - Good job there is a lockdown here in Wales, kept mileage down
I am loving the GS. Different style as the torque gets you through, not gear changes but it can get a squiggle on if needed and handles really well
The quick shifter is not as good as the XR. I was struggling until it was explained to me that you need to pre-load the lever for up-shifts, then it works perfectly. You can't get away with stuff on the gears you could with the XR. You have to off the gas to downshift and on it to upshift. At the moment I'm using the clutch for 1st & 2nd. But, the gear lever is soooooo light.
I seem to remember the tyres on the GS being skinnier. Got a 120/70 19 on front and 170/60 17 on the rear. Have got to the edge of both front and rear and the Bridgestone A41 adventure tyres are nice and grippy, even in the wet - Although Michelin do a Road 5 trail in these sizes, and I love Michelins
Heated grips are way better than the XR
Love the TFT screen, but probably won't use all the phone and nav features as I use my phone to my Cardo for music and have calls turned off
Brakes are good (Hayes not Brembos)
Bars are the same as XR but seat is comfier and doesn't splay my legs. Got a standard suspension and seat but the seat in the lower position (10mm) and can nearly flat foot both feet
The automatic (& manual) hill start, or handbrake as I call it, works really well. Bike knows if you are on a gradient of more than 5 degrees and comes on or you can operate it manually by pulling the front brake on at a standstill and take it off the same way or just drive off. You can also turn it off altogether.
The screen wobbles a bit at speed but is adjustable on a rotating knob
Rear seat is a bit of a faff to get off and absolutely no storage under the seats
No front dive on braking
Doesn't sound as good as the XR
Bit of lump to get on the centre-stand, heavier to push around but the weight drops away once you are moving
All in all I am very happy
Just need to stop looking at the catalogue and Touratech and Wunderlich etc
Ive added a few things but I don't feel the need to swap as much as I did on the XR
 :046:

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
Re: No 2020 XR for me - R1250GS lured me
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 07:50:38 PM »
And just to add...I sat on the new 2020 XR at the dealers and the seat is sort of cupped, has an edge to it and it dug into the back of my legs
Liked the undercoat grey in the flesh though
I liked the look of the whole bike

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 07:54:26 PM »
Apart from the fact you can come over our side of border.... but we can’t go over your side,what are you allowed too do?

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 04:45:56 AM »
I live 4 miles from the border, so in recent weeks have been sampling the delights of Cheshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire
Got to Oxford twice through the Wolds

Offline eljay998

• XR Pro
  • From R to XR....
  • Bike: S1000XR sport SE
  • Town: hockley
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 08:20:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by grizzle [+]
Well......1050 miles in 2 weeks and 3 days and first service done - Good job there is a lockdown here in Wales, kept mileage down
I am loving the GS. Different style as the torque gets you through, not gear changes but it can get a squiggle on if needed and handles really well
The quick shifter is not as good as the XR. I was struggling until it was explained to me that you need to pre-load the lever for up-shifts, then it works perfectly. You can't get away with stuff on the gears you could with the XR. You have to off the gas to downshift and on it to upshift. At the moment I'm using the clutch for 1st & 2nd. But, the gear lever is soooooo light.
I seem to remember the tyres on the GS being skinnier. Got a 120/70 19 on front and 170/60 17 on the rear. Have got to the edge of both front and rear and the Bridgestone A41 adventure tyres are nice and grippy, even in the wet - Although Michelin do a Road 5 trail in these sizes, and I love Michelins
Heated grips are way better than the XR
Love the TFT screen, but probably won't use all the phone and nav features as I use my phone to my Cardo for music and have calls turned off
Brakes are good (Hayes not Brembos)
Bars are the same as XR but seat is comfier and doesn't splay my legs. Got a standard suspension and seat but the seat in the lower position (10mm) and can nearly flat foot both feet
The automatic (& manual) hill start, or handbrake as I call it, works really well. Bike knows if you are on a gradient of more than 5 degrees and comes on or you can operate it manually by pulling the front brake on at a standstill and take it off the same way or just drive off. You can also turn it off altogether.
The screen wobbles a bit at speed but is adjustable on a rotating knob
Rear seat is a bit of a faff to get off and absolutely no storage under the seats
No front dive on braking
Doesn't sound as good as the XR
Bit of lump to get on the centre-stand, heavier to push around but the weight drops away once you are moving
All in all I am very happy
Just need to stop looking at the catalogue and Touratech and Wunderlich etc
Ive added a few things but I don't feel the need to swap as much as I did on the XR
 :046:

Cheers mate, that's really helpful.
S1000XR sport SE

dysfunctional