Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Faulty quickshifter  (Read 1528 times)

Offline S1KXR-rider

• XR Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1KXR-Black!
  • Town: Derbyshire
Faulty quickshifter
« on: May 28, 2020, 10:47:24 AM »
I fitted the HP brake & clutch levers over the winter period to my 2019 XR (as I've done with my previous 2 BMW's) I've noticed on my rideouts since the lockdown was eased that the QS is butter smooth both up & down during gentle acceleration but as soon as I accelerate hard it won't shift. I can feel resistance on the pedal with my foot and I have to ease off the accelerator briefly then change gear (the old fashioned clutchless gear change style!)

I've checked the micro-switch and it appears to be working, the arms are straight & I can hear both switches click when i pull the clutch in. I set the free play in the lever to the same as the original. It is due it's 6K service next month so I'll ask the dealer to have a look at it but I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar?

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Faulty quickshifter
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »
Check the clutch lever freeplay, should be 1mm when engine is cold. If it's any more, the lever moves under acceleration and disengages the micro switch.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:14:27 PM »
Could also check the chain tension.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 12:33:40 PM »
Can only go off the OP’s post so the first thing i’d Be doing is going back to the original levers,before my X/R 4 years ago my experience with QS’s was limited but guys i’ve Spoken too with way more experience than me say it’s the best one they have ever used.

I retro fitted fitted a Heal Tech QS on my K1200 which is mega ajustable symptoms the OP points out says sensor,the HT is adjustable not sure the X/R is so it suggests it maybe kaput,assuming it ain’t lever related.

Offline S1KXR-rider

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 02:26:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Check the clutch lever freeplay, should be 1mm when engine is cold. If it's any more, the lever moves under acceleration and disengages the micro switch.

Smithy.

*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
Could also check the chain tension.

Thanks guys, I'll check them later  :152:

Offline S1KXR-rider

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Can only go off the OP’s post so the first thing i’d Be doing is going back to the original levers,before my X/R 4 years ago my experience with QS’s was limited but guys i’ve Spoken too with way more experience than me say it’s the best one they have ever used.

I retro fitted fitted a Heal Tech QS on my K1200 which is mega ajustable symptoms the OP points out says sensor,the HT is adjustable not sure the X/R is so it suggests it maybe kaput,assuming it ain’t lever related.

Good advice, cheers winger  :152:

Offline S1KXR-rider

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 05:42:48 PM »
I checked what I was advised to check and the chain tension is at 45mm but I've added a little more clutch freeplay as there didn't appear to be any? Going out early Sunday morning for a few hours so I'll see if the QS is working. Thanks again for the help 👍🏻

Offline MrFreeze

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: Amsterdam
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 10:12:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by S1KXR-rider [+]
I checked what I was advised to check and the chain tension is at 45mm but I've added a little more clutch freeplay as there didn't appear to be any? Going out early Sunday morning for a few hours so I'll see if the QS is working. Thanks again for the help 👍🏻
I believe I;ve had something similar. Replaced the original levers with the HP one's.
This is the first time for me to ride with a QS, so I did not have any experience with it before, so harder to compare. I had it the other way round, the slower (low rpm) I tried to QS, the more difficulties I had. Especially from 3 to 4, it was just blocking it.
My motorbike friend told me that my lever was to tight, there was no play in the lever. He changed that, and ever since the QS responds way more accurate and almost flawless. So I would definately check that out an play with it a bit.

As for downshifting, it works but same "problem"the lever play and there was not enough grease on the lever arm, inside, where it;'s holded by a bolt (not sure how else to describe it). I put a drop of oil there and now the lever is even smoother than before and better shifting experience :)

by the way, if I downshift from 2 to 1, it ends up in Neutral many times, this is normal? or should i push the foot-lever thing harder down to skip Neutral? or is this by QS design?

Offline mbc2237

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 S 1000 XR
  • Town: Florida
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 11:59:17 PM »
While on this topic, I have a 2020 and going up through the gears, shifter is great. It's the first time I have owned or ridden a bike with one so I don't have any previous experience with them. Every once and a while from 1->2 it will end up in neutral and rev out, which is startling. the biggest issue I have is downshifting. I have read on this forum that if you are "on or off the throttle" it works great. I take "off the throttle" to mean, throttle closed. But I find that if I have the throttle closed, it won't shift AND if I have the throttle on but not accelerating, same issue. In this instance, it will shift but it feels like I am just forcing it into gear and certainly doesn't feel smooth. It works fine if I close the throttle completely closed and then give it just the slightest opening. Not enough to actually give any gas to the engine, literally, the smallest movement in the throttle, it works great. that is a bit hard to explain so hopefully that makes sense. It makes me think there is a position sensor that might be a bit off? But again, I don't have any experience to relate.

Hopefully some kind soul will explain it a bit more to me OR possibly have a fix if it is not correct. Thanks all.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 12:48:49 AM »
The "Quick Shifter" system is basically a way for the engine to "unload" the gearbox during the shift itself. Those of us who are used to riding the older bikes could rev match on the upshift by quickly shutting the throttle...which basically does the same thing as unloading the gearbox. It's a bit more difficult to do on the downshift though.

If the gearbox is under load, either under power or deceleration, the gears don't slide in and/or out of gear very easily. All the Q/S system essentially does on the upshift is cut the ignition for a few milliseconds whilst the gear is shifted to unload the gears and enable the shift to happen easily....the timing and duration of this ignition cut is crucial to the smoothness of the gear change, if the timing or duration is wrong the changes become bad/clunky. The system used by BMW is among the best available IMHO.
On the down shift...the principle is similar but in reverse, the revs must be increased slightly so the engine revs match the lower gear...hence the "auto-blip".

Check to make sure your clutch freeplay and chain adjustment is correct per the riders manual. When changing up gears using the quick-shift, the engine must normally be under power and throttle open, when changing down gears the throttle should normally be closed.

If all the adjustments are correct, the system may need to be "reset"....your dealer should be able to do this for you.!

Smithy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:51:25 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional