Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Faulty quickshifter  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr,
  • Town: Newcastle NSW
Re: Faulty quickshifter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 08:14:02 AM »
Off topic slightly, but, was on a 3 day ride with some mates and QS was not working sometimes. Checked the switches and all ok. Had a fiddle with the plug in the solenoid unit and no problems for the whole weekend. Maybe a dry connection? This post just  reminded me to remove and spray some contact cleaner on the plug connections. My bike is 2015. Cheers.

Online esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 08:35:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by mbc2237 [+]
While on this topic, I have a 2020 and going up through the gears, shifter is great. It's the first time I have owned or ridden a bike with one so I don't have any previous experience with them. Every once and a while from 1->2 it will end up in neutral and rev out, which is startling. the biggest issue I have is downshifting. I have read on this forum that if you are "on or off the throttle" it works great. I take "off the throttle" to mean, throttle closed. But I find that if I have the throttle closed, it won't shift AND if I have the throttle on but not accelerating, same issue. In this instance, it will shift but it feels like I am just forcing it into gear and certainly doesn't feel smooth. It works fine if I close the throttle completely closed and then give it just the slightest opening. Not enough to actually give any gas to the engine, literally, the smallest movement in the throttle, it works great. that is a bit hard to explain so hopefully that makes sense. It makes me think there is a position sensor that might be a bit off? But again, I don't have any experience to relate.

Hopefully some kind soul will explain it a bit more to me OR possibly have a fix if it is not correct. Thanks all.

Throttle open when shifting up and closed when downshifting.
Also, upshifting at very low rpm's (below 4000 rpms) can be a little jerky, especially first 3 gears, so give it more revs. On my 2020 I found that the worst QS spot  :001: is when shifting from 2nd to 3rd below 4000 rpm's. It almost always gives a very jerky shift. Also, downshifting gives some resistance in the pedal, so give it some push

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Garbo [+]
Off topic slightly, but, was on a 3 day ride with some mates and QS was not working sometimes. Checked the switches and all ok. Had a fiddle with the plug in the solenoid unit and no problems for the whole weekend. Maybe a dry connection? This post just  reminded me to remove and spray some contact cleaner on the plug connections. My bike is 2015. Cheers.

Good thought actually mate, it would also cop a lot of rain/water/crud when riding in inclement weather so pulling the connector to give a squirt of contact cleaner and squeeze in some dielectric grease every now and then would definitely help. :028:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Jswisc

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 S1000xr
  • Town: East Troy
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 03:13:34 AM »
I have a qs on my track and race bikes so I’m familiar with them. I have a 16’ xr and compared to the track bikes the xr works as good or better. The higher the rpm the smoother it gets. Auto blip works perfect with throttle fully off but the same applies with the rpms. The higher the better. I believe these features clearly are meant for high performance riding. You can use them for casual riding but I wouldn’t expect them to work flawlessly. Riding the bike in a spirited fashion I find the feature to be amazing!

Offline mbc2237

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 S 1000 XR
  • Town: Florida
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 01:15:54 AM »
thanks for the replies. I will definitely have the dealer take a look at it. clutch and chain checked and do not need adjustment.