Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Faulty quickshifter  (Read 4674 times)

wesoly75 and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mbc2237

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S 1000 XR
  • Town: Florida
Re: Faulty quickshifter
Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 02:52:10 PM
Nuno, what was the feedback from the dealer?

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr, ninja 300
  • Town: Killingworth
Reply #21 on: February 06, 2021, 11:01:06 AM
Just a heads up. I have been having issues with the QS not working on and off recently. Removed the plug to the QS module and lubed. Came good for quite a while. Recently has not worked at all!!
Lever switches appear to be working ok and tried to adjust free play with no success. I also noticed cruise control was not working which led me back  to the switch. Removed the wiring plug from the switch block and lubed that with electrical spray. Took the bike for a blast and never missed a beat.
Hope this helps someone in the future.  :152:

Offline NunoMPS46

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Lisbon
Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 09:12:25 AM
*Originally Posted by mbc2237 [+]
Nuno, what was the feedback from the dealer?
Sorry for the delay... too much on my mind these last few days.
The dealership said it is certainly only due to too much free play in the clutch lever... that is triggering (or not triggering, I'm not sure) a sensor.

But I have an update... Saturday morning I finally went for a ride after quickly stopping by the dealership where they "removed" the free play of the clutch lever. Although it got much better or perfect at normal speeds, when riding a bit more "sporty" it still refuses to downshift immediately... I keep pressing down and only when the revs get lower it will dowshift.
I'm hoping it's just the software protecting the engine while on this break-in phase... because I'm not too happy if I'm honest as I'm so used to the wonderful quickshifter of my MV Agusta that this seems slow (and dangerous) in downshifts.

Anyway, the bike finally has over 1000 (1022 to be exact) Km, so I'll book the first service today and hope that with no RPM limiter and maybe some software adjustments it gets better. I'll give an update afterwards (might take some days or weeks with all this lockdown sh*t).

Offline mbc2237

• XR Member
Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 05:04:31 PM
*Originally Posted by NunoMPS46 [+]
Sorry for the delay... too much on my mind these last few days.
The dealership said it is certainly only due to too much free play in the clutch lever... that is triggering (or not triggering, I'm not sure) a sensor.

But I have an update... Saturday morning I finally went for a ride after quickly stopping by the dealership where they "removed" the free play of the clutch lever. Although it got much better or perfect at normal speeds, when riding a bit more "sporty" it still refuses to downshift immediately... I keep pressing down and only when the revs get lower it will dowshift.
I'm hoping it's just the software protecting the engine while on this break-in phase... because I'm not too happy if I'm honest as I'm so used to the wonderful quickshifter of my MV Agusta that this seems slow (and dangerous) in downshifts.

Anyway, the bike finally has over 1000 (1022 to be exact) Km, so I'll book the first service today and hope that with no RPM limiter and maybe some software adjustments it gets better. I'll give an update afterwards (might take some days or weeks with all this lockdown sh*t).

I have an appointment next Saturday to have them look at it. I have adjusted the the clutch cable and it is within tolerance. I feel that it is related to the throttle position but we'll see. I have 3500 miles (5600 Km) on mine now so I am well past the break in period.

Offline brickit

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Exeter
Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 06:02:24 PM
I don't know if this is relevant, but I an issue with the QS on my 2017.
This happened when the cylindrical attachment on the lever-end of the clutch cable became stiff where it attaches to lever itself, so it wouldn't turn properly when the lever was released. The result was that the lever was not releasing fully and although there wasn't any clutch slip, it did mess up the QS, particularly in first and second.
It was always worse when first setting out in the morning and in winter and in the cold and damp.
It was fairly well stuck in and I had to use a clamp to get it out in order to free things up.
All fine now!  :046:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 07:26:55 PM
While you guys are delving into sutch things, bought the SW Motech adjustable gear lever awhile back so it’s where I want it and not BMW and works really well.

Offline mbc2237

• XR Member
Reply #26 on: February 20, 2021, 10:57:39 PM
So, back from the dealer and sadly they were 2 hours later getting the work done than originally quoted so I had to run to another appointment BUT, it is not fixed. I still get no auto blip and will not downshift with the throttle closed. Not sure what to do next. Talked to a buddy of mine that has a '18 XR and he does not have this issue. Of course read the manual yet again and it states:
"It is not necessary to close the throttle valve when shifting under acceleration. When braking and downshifting (throttle valve closed), engine speed is adjusted by blipping the throttle."

I might have mentioned it in an earlier post but I have used the GS-911 to re calibrate the throttle but that did not solve it. clutch free play is correct. Anyone have any other ideas that the service center may not? Thanks all.

Offline Jinxed

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #27 on: April 01, 2021, 10:06:25 AM
Anyone have any other ideas that the service center may not? Thanks all.

Nope. I've got a 2019 with similar symptoms. Also on upshift. It's pretty weird. Also on upshifts I do the exact same thing, use the exact same rpm between shifts, sometimes the ignition cut time is spot on, sometimes it randomly decides to cut too much, jerking the bike forward. Most recently, the shift lever just moved to its full travel when trying to downshift, but nothing else happened, that normally occurs during each downshift, until I just used the clutch.

As far as RPM goes, the higher the better, both up and down, but generally I can still feel it "lagging" on upshifts, and either me forcing it into gear, or not being able do shift down at all with the QS.

I've tried the following :
- microswitch tab is locked in place.
- lever free play is fine.
- chain tension is fine.
- clutch cable is fine
- adjusted shift linkage position 1-2 splines in both directions, just changed amount of leverage needed to shift, so no luck.
- shift rod length adjustment, not much success either.
- changed to 300V from the Advantec I had in at the time. Shifted a bit slicker but downshift issue was still there, upshift issue as well.
- disassembled shift lever, it has, what seems to be a copper bushing, adjusted that so the lever has as little lateral play as possible while sill moving freely. Managed to gently pet my index finger with a hammer in the process.
- tried Brentuning reflash, which basically shortens cut times overall. Made changes a bit slicker, both issues are still there.
- Reset adaptations around 6 times, seems to be pretty good right after the reset, but no more than 50 km or so later issues reappear.
- QS sensor has been checked multiple times, dealer says it's not out of spec.

I have not tried :
- HP rearsets- currently in the mail, lol.
- busting out the tools and checking the transmission for any mechanical issue
- replacing QS sensor with either same model or aftermarket one.
- Detent spring and Shift star from Factory Pro.

It's currently at the dealer for them to probably inspect the transmission and try another QS sensor.
If anyone's interested, I can update this after I eventually find a solution....hopefully.

Offline Mtbman24

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Burnaby, BC
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 04:59:09 PM
While on this topic, I have a 2020 and going up through the gears, shifter is great. It's the first time I have owned or ridden a bike with one so I don't have any previous experience with them. Every once and a while from 1->2 it will end up in neutral and rev out, which is startling. the biggest issue I have is downshifting. I have read on this forum that if you are "on or off the throttle" it works great. I take "off the throttle" to mean, throttle closed. But I find that if I have the throttle closed, it won't shift AND if I have the throttle on but not accelerating, same issue. In this instance, it will shift but it feels like I am just forcing it into gear and certainly doesn't feel smooth. It works fine if I close the throttle completely closed and then give it just the slightest opening. Not enough to actually give any gas to the engine, literally, the smallest movement in the throttle, it works great. that is a bit hard to explain so hopefully that makes sense. It makes me think there is a position sensor that might be a bit off? But again, I don't have any experience to relate.

Hopefully some kind soul will explain it a bit more to me OR possibly have a fix if it is not correct. Thanks all.

This TBRD video explains it pretty well:
I plan to live forever.  So far, so good!

Offline Big Dog

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Lake Country
Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 04:17:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Garbo [+]
Just a heads up. I have been having issues with the QS not working on and off recently. Removed the plug to the QS module and lubed. Came good for quite a while. Recently has not worked at all!!
Lever switches appear to be working ok and tried to adjust free play with no success. I also noticed cruise control was not working which led me back  to the switch. Removed the wiring plug from the switch block and lubed that with electrical spray. Took the bike for a blast and never missed a beat.
Hope this helps someone in the future.  :152: