Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pillion comfort and panniers question  (Read 8041 times)

Offline zarathustra

• XR Junior
  • Bike: R1200ST
Pillion comfort and panniers question
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:51:21 AM »
Hi guys, I am getting a new toy for touring in the coming months. This S1000XR is top of consideration. Is it comfortable tourer for the pillion. Important issue for me, as my pillion will be funding my new toy)) And I am thinking the GIVI trekker monokey panniers and topcase will suit the looks of this best. BMW topcase options appear small. I don't want full aluminium panniers. Anyone with these Trekkers on the S1000XR. Do they make the bike considerably wider than the stock panniers? Literature on stock panniers suggests they are not waterproof? Is this the case. The SHAD 36 panniers look a very interesting option too. Any you using those? Regards

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
Re: Pillion comfort and panniers question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
Hi
Just got a pair of Shad 36 panniers, inner bags and fixing kit

Offline zarathustra

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:35:58 PM »
Thanks. They do look a good option. Any issues with the pillion having leg space with the panniers attached. I am testing the S1000XR and the R1200RS later this week. Have been reading about vibrations being an issue for long spins. What is your take on vibrations with the XR?

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »
Can't comment on pillion comfort, sorry.
But...

Got the BM panniers & top box with mine cos it was easier to stick everything on the one loan. Used them Friday, Saturday & Sunday in quite a bit of rain and, although they're not supposed to be waterproof, nothing got wet. They're smaller than the alu panniers I had on the GSA though so I'll probably have to buy smaller inner bags  :015:

The vibrations aren't nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be. More a buzz or tingle. Bar ends are supposed to help, the heavier the better. And a light touch on the handlebars rather than a firm grip.

I only have the bike since last Friday but happy to answer any questions I can
Good luck with the test rides

Offline zarathustra

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:31:57 PM »
Thanks for replies guys. If you get feedback from any young beautiful pillion you happen to pick up, you might write it here.
Can you post the width of the bike with panniers on, the stock panniers and the SHAD.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:24 AM »
I'll throw a tape measure on the stock ones tonight  :038:

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:06:46 PM »
At the widest point, about half way along the pannier, it's 970mm wide overall
That's about 50mm wider than the bars
I'll have to recalibrate the filtering part of my brain...

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 03:33:43 AM »
Have ridden with the stock BMW panniers in some pretty rough and rainy weather and haven't had any of the contents of the panniers get wet thus far.  Using the pannier liners but they are staying very dry.
And...........the stock red panniers look fabulous!!

Great on tour as a single up but can't comment on the pillion experience.   :002:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline MotoMachines

• XR Member
  • Town: Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »
What kind of sizing are you looking for? Hepco & Becker has some plastic top cases available, with 30L, 40L, 42L, 50L, 52L, 54L, and 55L choices available, in different styles and color options. Each one has a backrest available for the passenger as well.

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 07:37:43 AM »
Hello.

My wife has done about 5K on the back in 3 trips, 1 at 3K round Europe's high places.  She is used to the Triumph Trophy and that is a couch so she can only do about 2 to 3 Hours on the XR where she can go 5 hours on the Trophy.  We use the GIVI Maxia V56 she preferred the feel of it on her back as opposed to the Trekker.   She is not keen at 70MPH as the buzz can be a bit annoying for her but it is only about a 4mph range so travel at 65 or 75 and all is good.  She likes being able too see in front of me which she cannot do on the Trophy as the seat on the XR is more stepped.  There is no problem for her legs but I am using the BMW panniers as this is not the machine we use for the 5K plus tours.

Hope this helps.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

dysfunctional