Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Which of the 2 GPS Prep plugs have the power (12v, Ground)?  (Read 193 times)

Offline pr111

• XR Junior
I want to use my old Zumo 395 and figured I'd just use the existing connector for the GPS Prep that came with the bike.  But I see 2 plugs, a small plug with 2 wires and a bigger plug with 3 wires.  Which plug should I use for power?

Offline pr111

• XR Junior
Re: Which of the 2 GPS Prep plugs have the power (12v, Ground)?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:43:51 PM »
I did some digging around and in case anyone else needs this information for using their own GPS instead of the BWM one.

The 3-Wire plug has the Power. The 2 pin connector wasn't even connected.
The Part Number that fits in this plug: 83300413585
Thread in ADVRider describing which pins are power/ground: https://advrider.com/f/threads/wiring-bmw-navigator-iv.565952/
-- In short: 1=Ground, 3=12v, 2=speed pulse
I bought the cradle and power wire from GPSCity.com - they're titled 350LM in case anyone wants to use a 395/396 like I did
I bought a mount (AMPS standard) from motopumps.com - 12mm bar option; replaced the GPS Prep mount that was on the cross bar
I did replace the 7.5Amp Fuse (in the fuse box under the seat - funny to call it a fuse box when it only contains 2 fuses) because there was no power

In short: I love being able to use a GPS I already had and not pay $900 USD for the BMW Nav VI - and it all looks stock.