Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Maintenance  (Read 1771 times)

Offline rlh3rd

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000xr
  • Town: Palatine
Re: Chain Maintenance
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 11:22:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
Maybe I’m getting old and grumpy but if you don’t know when to lube the chain get a shaft or belt drive bike.

Chain maintenance is motorcycle maintenance 101, I get it if you’re a new rider like 16 or it’s your fist bike you have every had and you don’t know anything about motorcycles.

Maybe a better question is, what and how are you lubricating your chain? EG: automatic system or do you just squib chain wax or chain oil or did you find something better?

Old and grumpy....this is completely unhelpful but thanks. If everyone knew everything about motorcycles then I guess there would be no need for this forum that you apparently still come to read for some reason. And, by the number of different approaches to chain maintenance posted here already, I suspect that unlike you, others are interested in the topic.

Because you asked, I use Motul chain cleaner and lube. Good day.

Offline Kebabkev

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Darlington
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 09:49:39 AM »
The main reason to lube a chain is to prevent rust, modern chains are sealed so you can’t actually get lube into them, so reading about the best chain lube is use something that sticks to chains to prevent rust , I personally use worth chain grease every 2/3 rides out and clean using diesel or something similar that won’t dry the chain out.
I looked at a survey which gave the five best products to use and a gear oil came out top as it doesn’t spray all over and stays on the chain .
Hope this helps ,but different people will have their own views. :305:

Offline stualva

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR & K1300GT
  • Town: Alva
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 10:27:01 AM »
 :0461:

Likewise, I did a fair bit or reading around this, and have since used WD40 to give the chain a quick clean when it looks dirty; no additional 'lube' or wax.

Works well for me, with current chain at 12,000 miles (original chain lasted ~10,000 miles despite using branded chain-wax.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 08:43:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kebabkev [+]
The main reason to lube a chain is to prevent rust, modern chains are sealed so you can’t actually get lube into them, so reading about the best chain lube is use something that sticks to chains to prevent rust , I personally use worth chain grease every 2/3 rides out and clean using diesel or something similar that won’t dry the chain out.
I looked at a survey which gave the five best products to use and a gear oil came out top as it doesn’t spray all over and stays on the chain .

That takes care of the internal oscillating bearing surfaces, but ignores the external (between chain rollers and the sprocket pockets.  Watch a slow animation, or simply rotate your rear wheel slowly - and watch the mating surfaces approach and retreat.

There is a reason why large industrial drive-chains are not simply protected from the elements, but actively lubricated between chain and drive wheels.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kebabkev [+]

Personally I use chain wax, how often and when it depends on many factors including but not restricted to weather, miles done, riding type, when the chain was last replaced ECT. 

It's not like I do it every time I use the XR as sometime it just a 20 mile run out and other times it's 700 mile ride down to the south of France. 

Here what I tell the students when teaching CBT "Compulsory basic training" something you must complete before riding in the UK.  Look at the chain does it look dry has it just rained for days or been very hot and dry "not often in the UK" read the owner’s manual and see what the manufacture says what they recommend as there is no right answer as there are a lot of variables, just don’t use WD 40 oil, use a good chain lube or wax and yes WD 40 do do one so a litte confusing jsut read the can first.
Chain Maintenance is the starting point of motorcycle maintenance and if your not sure you could always go to the main dealer.
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline MrFreeze

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: Amsterdam
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 10:20:20 AM »
I;m a bit lazy and tent to forget these kind of things, that's why I installed a Scott Oiler xSystem. It automatically lubes the chain and you can set the intensity. It's connected to the battery, monitors the usage and will shutdown if battery gets low, but it uses les energy than a led bulb if I understand correctly. When you put the bike away, it goes into sleep mode automatically and there is a movement sensor inside, so as soon as you move the bike (start it or walk with it) it will wake up and start lubing (very little, small drops) the chain and you're set.
Now I only need to refill the reservoir every x months (hope I won't forget  :087:)

https://www.scottoiler.com/product/xsystem/

/EDIT

and how and where to install it:
http://kbvps.scottoiler.com/article/s1000xr-2015.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:22:26 AM by MrFreeze »

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »
There is an electronic Scottoiler on her just now at a bit of a bargain price.  :0461:

There is a train of thought that says that at the Scottoiler RRP - it makes financial sense to just spray your chain with whatever lube you fancy - and replace your chain&sprockets every 12,000 miles for £100, of course.

No-one is wrong, just people have their own ideas.

Offline Anchorman

• XR Member
  • Town: Wakefield
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 04:19:12 PM »
The standard BMW chain from new is absolute crap and BMW know it. When I took the bike in for service the chain had surface rust and I mentioned this to the dealer, they looked at each other behind the counter and then told me, without even looking at the bike, that BMW will not cover a replacement under warranty even though my chain gets looked after with spray etc. As already stated above, fit a good after market chain at the very least and then routine maintenance will suffice.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 10:19:06 PM »
my question is indirectly to do with chain maintenance, so excuse me if I am taking this thread of track a little. I have a Chameleon Plus chain oiler installed, again set and forgetI have filled the reservoir once since installing (after 4000 miles use, 45ml). Here is my question, there is throw off, I use kerosene and a rag to wipe down the rear wheel(works excellent), how much should I worry if I get some kerosene om my tyre and what are suggestions to remove form the tyre? the last tim eI cleaned the rim was just before changing the tyres otu so was not worried about the contamination.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 12:14:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
my question is indirectly to do with chain maintenance, so excuse me if I am taking this thread of track a little. I have a Chameleon Plus chain oiler installed, again set and forgetI have filled the reservoir once since installing (after 4000 miles use, 45ml). Here is my question, there is throw off, I use kerosene and a rag to wipe down the rear wheel(works excellent), how much should I worry if I get some kerosene om my tyre and what are suggestions to remove form the tyre? the last tim eI cleaned the rim was just before changing the tyres otu so was not worried about the contamination.

45ml doesnt seem very much over 4,000 miles.  I reckon my Scottoiler uses around 120ml in 3,000 miles (ish).   I use Scottoil which seems to adhere well to the chain.  Yes, there is some throw-off onto the wheel, but I wipe with GT85 or WD40-type stuff.   
Anything that is petroleum-based - wash off the tyre, with normal detergent/water - but no need to panic over it, it would take prolonged contact to cause any degradation in the rubber (i think, anyway)

dysfunctional