Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Radial M/C  (Read 683 times)

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Radial M/C
« on: June 05, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »
Anyone changed the M/C to radial one? What did you use? Does RR / R use same connector for brake switch?
Cheers

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
Re: Radial M/C
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »

I changed to a radial mc. I used the brembo GP MK II (19x18). Mirror mounting will be the hard part. I was able to find a rear plate for the mc with mirror mount. I also mounted the reservoir off the mirror mount. The stock line and fitting don't line up so you'll need to get a line made with the correct fitting. Two choices on the line. run from the mc to the hard line on the frame behind the triple or just replace the line from the mc to the ABS block. I did try adapter fittings first but its not a good fit. Next time instead of brembo I would use the Galespeed VRC with the optional mirror mount fitting.

Since the install I've made a few changes. The pictured reservoir had leaking problems so I changed to a smoked brembo round one. The adapter fitting and factory line were replace with a Spiegler custom one of the correct length and fitting for the radial mc. The line is a short one going from the mc to the frame where it changed to hard line. Cut the factory soft line side off there and instaledl a fitting for the new one soft line.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 06:18:14 PM by wascallyrabbit »

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply,
Probably looking for something from another bike as cost factor.
Was the OE line too short for the new M/C or just the fitting at the wrong angle? (or both)

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 08:20:34 PM »
I have the MC off a RR fitted right now, feels much better(to me than the OEM GS mc), the banjo bolt fits horizontally rather than vertically, but it not an issue.

I have just put a Brembo RCS 19 on my R(the OEM mirror mount bolts right onto the Brembo) did you try the mirror mount from your XR?

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 09:04:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I have the MC off a RR fitted right now, feels much better(to me than the OEM GS mc), the banjo bolt fits horizontally rather than vertically, but it not an issue.

I have just put a Brembo RCS 19 on my R(the OEM mirror mount bolts right onto the Brembo) did you try the mirror mount from your XR?

This is this info I was after thanks. Does the brake switch elec connector fit straight to the RR M/C? And what did you do to keep the lever black if anything? oh one more, what year RR? and one more, I take it the OE brake line is plenty long enough???

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 09:10:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
This is this info I was after thanks. Does the brake switch elec connector fit straight to the RR M/C? And what did you do to keep the lever black if anything? oh one more, what year RR? and one more, I take it the OE brake line is plenty long enough???

There are no electrics on either the XR, R/RR or Brembo master cylinders. The brake lights are activated by pressure through the ABS module. Brake line should be fine as far as I worked out(but I put new lines in anyway - just 'cos I could, no other reason).

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 09:20:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
Thanks for the reply,
Probably looking for something from another bike as cost factor.
Was the OE line too short for the new M/C or just the fitting at the wrong angle? (or both)

yes the oe line is a touch short and the fitting faces the wrong direction or the radial MC.
As Simon said the brakes are pressure actuated. This is a plus cause you can pretty much use whatever master cylinder you want.

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 10:55:48 PM »
Thank you both for the info. Extremely helpful and answered my queries perfectly.
 :020:

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 11:22:55 PM »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 12:57:10 PM »