Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Radial M/C  (Read 661 times)

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
Re: Radial M/C
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 02:27:57 PM »
Did you get the optional mirror mount clamp?

Offline stualva

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR & K1300GT
  • Town: Alva
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
Anyone done/doing just the M/C change (not the calipers), and noticed much difference?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 03:33:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by wascallyrabbit [+]
Did you get the optional mirror mount clamp?

The current plan is too try and use the one off the stocker if that doesn’t work,then the plan B is optional mount.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 03:34:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by stualva [+]
Anyone done/doing just the M/C change (not the calipers), and noticed much difference?

That’s the plan,don’t want too do the lot in one go,so I can work out what does what  :084:

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 03:37:50 PM »
I started with pads first. Then moved on to the master cylinder. Haven't done the calipers yet. The master you want is 19 mm x 18 mm or a adjustable 19mm x 18-20mm. For me it did improve the feel and modulation. Pad compounds have a bigger effect on stopping distance.

Offline stualva

• XR Member
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 03:56:56 PM »
Aye, that was my concern; making multiple changes and being unaware if it needs a combination approach, or if there's a large return from just one piece (e.g. the M/C).

Good to know that the M/C seems a good start too.

It's the initial bite when grabbing a handful of brake that I miss from previous bikes - the bike seems to stop fine, however there's sometimes a seat-grabbing moment when I'm not sure if it will  :005:

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 04:10:18 PM »
If you're looking for the strong power feeling then you'll want to use the 20mm setting. Initial bite has a lot to do with pad compounds too.

Warning what follows is a rant.
Just a side note we shouldn't be grabbing at the brakes. Grab is a terrible adjective to use to describe how to brake it suggests that abruptness is okay which it's not. Abruptness is one of the top five reasons we crash our motorcycles.
Rant over.

Offline stualva

• XR Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 04:21:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by wascallyrabbit [+]
If you're looking for the strong power feeling then you'll want to use the 20mm setting. Initial bite has a lot to do with pad compounds too.

Warning what follows is a rant.
Just a side note we shouldn't be grabbing at the brakes. Grab is a terrible adjective to use to describe how to brake it suggests that abruptness is okay which it's not. Abruptness is one of the top five reasons we crash our motorcycles.
Rant over.

20mm setting it is then, cheers.

No problem with the rant, one needs to vent from time to time, especially having just had to grab a handful of brakes  :232:

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 07:47:23 PM »
My preference over the years has been full floating discs,I have a bike with Beringers that have done close on 40,000 miles and hardly a mark on them because they never over heat,but Jeez do that rattle....

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 08:48:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
My preference over the years has been full floating discs,I have a bike with Beringers that have done close on 40,000 miles and hardly a mark on them because they never over heat,but Jeez do that rattle....

Are you sure it's not your goolies rattling in the cold weather..?? :164: :038:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional