Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rough idle and cut out on cold start  (Read 1597 times)

Offline gusthemus

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
Rough idle and cut out on cold start
« on: June 15, 2020, 07:02:02 AM »
Hey all, anyone have issues in colder weather with having the bike cut out several times and have a rough/uneven idle initially when started? Not an issue in warmer weather and I'm talking probably 3-12C air temperatures. Cold for us Aussies but probably not for a lot of the UK guys on here. I had to restart it 3 times the other morning from it cutting out before it finally kept running. I think the coolant temp on the dash was showing 8C at the time.

Cheers,
Gus

Offline orbits

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cotswolds
Re: Rough idle and cut out on cold start
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 07:00:34 PM »
Never seen the same problem here in similar temps. I was wondering if your throttle bodies wanted balancing when you said lumpy idle, but they’d be out at all temps not just cold. Sounds like probably some sort of fuelling/mixture issue, probably too rich when cold.

I’m less familiar with FI than Carbs, but might be worth trying again and seeing if the Airbox Temp Sensor is approximating ambient when you fire it up (press Info button IIRC) just in case something’s amiss and it’s reporting - and fuelling - for the wrong temp?

Alternatively is there any sort of pilot fuel/air screw on an FI bike or are they entirely FI controlled at all revs?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:03:11 PM by orbits »

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 08:55:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by gusthemus [+]
Hey all, anyone have issues in colder weather with having the bike cut out several times and have a rough/uneven idle initially when started? Not an issue in warmer weather and I'm talking probably 3-12C air temperatures. Cold for us Aussies but probably not for a lot of the UK guys on here. I had to restart it 3 times the other morning from it cutting out before it finally kept running. I think the coolant temp on the dash was showing 8C at the time.

Cheers,
Gus

I think there may be a "software update" available from the dealers which may help, can't hurt to ask. But I've not done this myself.

Check your battery cables for "looseness"...common problem.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:56:03 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline gusthemus

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 06:45:28 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check out the air temp next time I go to start it to see if it's similar to the actual air temp.

Smithy, I just put that new lithium battery in a couple of weeks ago but this was already an issue before that. Good thought though.
Might need to speak to the stealer about it.

Offline addelaat

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: 's-Hertogenbosch
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 05:18:32 PM »

Cheers,
Gus

You must reset the Ilde-speed.
The best you can do is buy a GS-911 tool. You can read all the faults and other data and you can reset it.
Good luck.

Offline gusthemus

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 09:40:23 AM »
Thanks Addelaat, I do know someone in Melbourne that's got one, so I might give him a yell to see if I can plug it in and see what it tells me.

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 09:48:26 AM »
Thanks Addelaat, I do know someone in Melbourne that's got one, so I might give him a yell to see if I can plug it in and see what it tells me.

Not a problem Gus... although I'm offshore at the moment for possibly 2 more weeks. Will give you a call when I'm back...  :028:
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline gusthemus

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by serge1966 [+]
Not a problem Gus... although I'm offshore at the moment for possibly 2 more weeks. Will give you a call when I'm back...  :028:

LOL! How'd you guess! All good whenever you get back mate. Only having to ride to the office once or twice a week right now so there's no urgency.
I'm guessing you'll be back in iso when you get back???

Offline AussieXR

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 06:10:34 AM »
Hi Gus,

I have had the  2020 S1000XR for about a month now, it's had the initial 1000km service and now has 1,700km on the clock. The cold starts are getting increasingly rough and on some occasions there are small engine misses till the temp goes up. I'm hoping it might be a case of dodgy fuel which is easily fixed, otherwise I'm off to the dealer fro some answers.

Cheers
Ray

Offline Dart289

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Lansdale
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 08:47:35 PM »
I know in the USA they tend to put junk in the gas to help with moisture getting into the fuel. But only during cold months, dose this happen in the rest of the world?  might be a factor.
"Rubber side" - Down

dysfunctional