Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rough idle and cut out on cold start  (Read 1495 times)

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Rough idle and cut out on cold start
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 10:53:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by AussieXR [+]
Hi Gus,

I have had the  2020 S1000XR for about a month now, it's had the initial 1000km service and now has 1,700km on the clock. The cold starts are getting increasingly rough and on some occasions there are small engine misses till the temp goes up. I'm hoping it might be a case of dodgy fuel which is easily fixed, otherwise I'm off to the dealer fro some answers.Cheers Ray

I'm wondering with the Euro-5 specs it might be way too lean until warm..??

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 12:09:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
I'm wondering with the Euro-5 specs it might be way too lean until warm..??

seems to be a very plausible explanation!

Offline AussieXR

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 01:38:51 AM »
Not sure Dart but it might be a possibility. I noticed a real change in the cold starts and idle after the bike had its initial service, apparently they unlock the ecu which gives you the all the power. Hey I'm just hoping it's a fuel thing, apart from that bike is bloody brilliant.

Offline smithy

• XR God
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 01:46:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by AussieXR [+]
Not sure Dart but it might be a possibility. I noticed a real change in the cold starts and idle after the bike had its initial service, apparently they unlock the ecu which gives you the all the power. Hey I'm just hoping it's a fuel thing, apart from that bike is bloody brilliant.

All they really do is shift the rev limiter from 9k rpm to 12k rpm. They don't unlock it as such.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline AussieXR

• XR Junior
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 02:33:39 AM »
Could be Smithy, I’ll give it a another tank of fuel and see what happens.

Yeah the rev limiter was definitely locked but also it stopped you selecting "Dynamic Pro" mode, which according to the manual gives you max torque in the lower gears. Not that I’ll even use it haha. The bike awesome in road or dynamic modes.

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr,
  • Town: Newcastle NSW
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 06:25:31 AM »
Had a similar issue early on my 2015 xr. There was a way to recalibrate idle using a sequence of inputs. Was so long ago I cannot recall the details. My bike has been good on cold startup since. Search unsuccessful. Maybe was on the now defunct US forum. Not much help but just an idea.

Offline smithy

• XR God
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 06:37:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Garbo [+]
Had a similar issue early on my 2015 xr. There was a way to recalibrate idle using a sequence of inputs. Was so long ago I cannot recall the details. My bike has been good on cold startup since. Search unsuccessful. Maybe was on the now defunct US forum. Not much help but just an idea.

Don't know if 2020 has this option...but l suspect it would. The GS-911 can do it on the Gen-1...but they don't have the Gen-2 listed on their compatibility list yet.

Smithy.

Offline Dart289

• XR Member
  • Town: Lansdale
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »
as we moved into October, my 2020 is also acting up now. From a cold start, at or below 15c ish it has stalled on me. Not every time but dose sound like it misfires every time regardless of temp. I haven't changed where I get fuel, so doubtful but possible. And for speculation on what i said awhile back, i think its a little early for the USA to be using dry gas at the pumps.

the only changes I can think of is lower outdoor temps, and break in retune.   

Now I'm gunna make a left turn, voltage issue??
I only checked because this happened with my car, and found some supporting articles online. For my car they attempted to increase mile per gallon by allowing the computer to basically turn of the alternator. Allowing the car battery to drop almost to 11.0volts (12.6 full charge), at the time my commute to work was only 2 miles. so my battery never got fully charged and i noticed turning over the engine got slower and slower. i have since pulled out the wire that makes this happen and defaults to normal (for most cars) operation.
Why i brought this up, my work commute is now 11 miles (one way) i think that should be the bare minimum to fully charge the battery.  the battery in my bike says full charge is 14.1volts. noticed one day when i turned off the bike with the info screen up the voltage dropped quickly to 13.6, on that day it had stalled. Since then i have been using a battery tender weekly or more to keep the battery topped off, hasn't stalled on cold start since. although misfires on cold start continue.
tell me ur thoughts and dose anyone know of a good battery tender for a 14v battery? mine is meant for 12v but dose still go to 14.5ish while charging so it works but would rather get the right one.   
"Rubber side" - Down

Offline Dart289

• XR Member
  • Town: Lansdale
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 07:10:03 PM »
also want to add I have 1,400 miles or 2253km on the bike.
"Rubber side" - Down

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 07:55:13 AM »
Voltage is always higher when the bike is running, and that's normal. That is caused by the generator. When the bike is switched off, after couple of hours it normally drops down to 12-12,5 volts. If it drops below 12v, you should get the battery checked and recharged.
If I was in your place, I would bring the bike to the dealer and get it checked, because that behavior is not normal.
As a comparison - my 2020 usually shows 12,1 - 12,2 volts after sitting stationary overnight. Outside temperatures below 10 deg C and it starts and idles fine.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:02:55 AM by esso_sa »

dysfunctional